DOS & USB: question for the techxperts!

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I was wondering. I have an old DOS-based program which I'd like to put on a old laptop running only FreeDOS. However the laptop has no old-style AT or PS2 mouse or keyboard ports. It does have a built-in keyboard and a touchpad but I'd like to be able to use a conventional USB keyboard and mouse.

Is there a USB driver that would install into old DOS? I see some mention of this by Googling but it all gets technical fast and requires a lot of editing of config files, etc. and even then not sure it would work. I'm game to try that advice but I'm hoping someone here might know of a more pre-packaged simpler solution.

Any suggestions?

I was wondering. I have an old DOS-based program which I'd like to put on a old laptop running only FreeDOS. However the laptop has no old-style AT or PS2 mouse or keyboard ports. It does have a built-in keyboard and a touchpad but I'd like to be able to use a conventional USB keyboard and mouse.

Is there a USB driver that would install into old DOS? I see some mention of this by Googling but it all gets technical fast and requires a lot of editing of config files, etc. and even then not sure it would work. I'm game to try that advice but I'm hoping someone here might know of a more pre-packaged simpler solution.

Any suggestions?

DOSBox. It's a DOS emulator that will allow you to run your DOS program on a windows. It's very flexible and has been flawless for everything I've ever tried with it.

I agree. DosBox works great. I've used it in the past for old games like the old simpsons game, and carmen sangdiego for the kids

Thanks. But I don't even NEED Windows on this laptop. The program will work fine under straight DOS. The only issue is whether USB devices can operate from a DOS environment. That way we can avoid even having to buy Windows for this application.

Install your favorite version of linux
Install a DOS virtual machine.
Configure it to open on startup.