DBG "working with" MQ2?

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Interesting recent thread on allakhazam, supposedly relating to a long thread on DBG forums which has been deleted:

DBG Working with MQ2

Thoughts? I have this strange feeling that if EQ "legalizes" the use of MQ2, usage will DROP because it won't have that "forbidden fruit" aspect any more.

:eek:

(This also casts some light on the questions raised by the discussion concerning long-range targeting of mobs...)

Last edited:
We know they have the detection methods in place to hit MQ users. They don't ban them every day. Therefore one can assume they accept it as a risk and let the population police themselves. I'd say they already allow it.

This reminds me of the long time issue with ACM (attended combat macro) and UCM (unattended combat macro) in Asheron's Call. Turbine always took the stance that ACM is perfectly fine, as you gain no advantage even with scripts provided you are prsent at the computer. UCM? No they didn't support that. Either way, they let happens.

You can avoid 99% of all bans for using mq2 if you're not an asshole in game and affect other people I.E training stealing camps afk xping in open zones and don't use warp and other high risk active hacks.

Thoughts? I have this strange feeling that if EQ "legalizes" the use of MQ2, usage will DROP because it won't have that "forbidden fruit" aspect any more.

Its already been legalized by SOE/DGC for years, its a "hush hush" policy to generate revenue internally and a "we don't condone 3rd party programs" externally through public relations to keep the masses at bay, which is what I've made the assumption of numerous times on these forums in the past.

At least we now know that policy is infact true, from Eqmule meeting with DGC, they've had to means to shut it down but never will. At least we have that peace of mind now.

As long as you don't do stupid shit and "cheat smarter" you should be fine using it.

I commend eqmule working with DBG. How many features have been added on new expansions that MQ2 offered? Tons...

DBG knows majority of the server population uses MQ2 and doing a widespread ban or suspension would initially kill the game which they would either doing more lay offs or switch to other games. They may as well just work with them and see if they can find something in the middle that they can have some foundation to work from.

This is the same ploy they used with P99. P99 was acknowledged by DBG but in return they had to hold off their release. Could this be the same, DBG acknowledge MQ2 and its use to not pull the plug and hardcode EQ to kill if it detects the use of mq2 in it sorta like warden for wow

We all know that but they still had a bulk of the TLP user base over there

if p1999 can detect surely db could they just dont want to know?

DBG can already detect it, they just havent done anything with those results. I think they only really take action if your disrupting with it.

There has been internal discussion about this for a few weeks, which really has just left us all a little confused. I don't see how Daybreak can openly endorse MQ2 without alienating a huge percentage of the playerbase so I doubt it will happen. I'm happy to have an open discussion with them about it.

From previous discussions, what Daybreaks mainly wants gone from MQ2 is active hacks, and AFK macroing but there are littler things they can't endorse either like MQ2Map, and far targeting that MQ2 provides.

Our MQ2 stance has been to let the players know the risks, and let them decide on how they want to use MQ2 as long as it doesn't negatively affect others ingame. The only time we have not followed this stance is for active hacks on Lockjaw/Ragefire, but we were really left with little choice with that, as people warping around on those server would have caused huge problems for the MQ2 community.

At this time I don't have plans to change anything, but if Daybreak decides to head down this path and try and established guidelines for MQ2 usage, I will do my best to involve the community's opinion before any changes happen.

There isn't much to say really, I asked for a meeting and got it... I wanted to discuss disabling mq2 for the no box server but we also talked about mq in general terms what it is what it does, I have always been clear that we don't condone unattended gameplay and active hacks... I am not exactly affiliated or endorsing those kinds of usages of mq but I also have to respect the users and go where they are so I can provide support to them... Mmobugs is good to me we share many common ideas about eq and mq2 and which direction to take it.

Do I like warping and ghost killing? No, and ask fry, he will tell you that I made that clear many times even trying my best to convince him to take it easy on eq ;) when we talk about new mq features and plugins and the code and updates and stuff.

Anyway I think it would be great if mq2 can get a better rep internally at DBG and if I can do anything within reason to make that happen while at the same time don't aggravate the users to much ;) I will.

Edit: I just had this thought if you guys have to put up with my "please don't use mq for unattended gameplay" reminders and me going on and on about active hacks and stuff here, it's a small price to pay for getting same day updates ;)

I also like to say that all the feedback I gotten about reaching out to DBG has been positive so far.

Last edited:
There has been internal discussion about this for a few weeks, which really has just left us all a little confused. I don't see how Daybreak can openly endorse MQ2 without alienating a huge percentage of the playerbase so I doubt it will happen. .

The irony is that I've read estimates that more than half of players actively use some portions of MQ. If such is even close to true, I can't see how "a huge percentage" of the playerbase would be hacked off (in a manner of speaking, hehe.)

I'm not sure I believe a majority "uses" but it would be nice to have some idea. In my experience when I was in a raiding guild many years ago once I got to know guildies well, I was surprised to keep discovering "users" or at least people who tolerated being grouped with a user since it made their gameplay more lucrative. Heck, I found out our guild leader and the key officers all used MQ, presumably right after updating the guild code of conduct which prescribed deguilding for anyone caught using hacks.

Now THAT is hypocrisy! :)

Last edited:
would anyone be shocked if they just made it so you had to have a gold account to use mq2 ?

There has been internal discussion about this for a few weeks, which really has just left us all a little confused. I don't see how Daybreak can openly endorse MQ2 without alienating a huge percentage of the playerbase so I doubt it will happen. .

The irony is that I've read estimates that more than half of players actively use some portions of MQ.

Given the download numbers each patch on the mq2 site the users here and at other sites i find it highly unlikely that even 10% of players use it.

The issue for dbg is even if say 10% use it most of that 10% have multiple accounts.

We keep debating this % of mq users every few months, no matter what the % , its significant enough to impact the whole social dynamic and revenue stream or else they wouldn't be in talks given that they already know who is using it and have had the means to shut it down for good for years.

For example,

90% of the population doesn't use it but only holds 1 account.

versus.

10% of the population using it and has 10 accounts.

Those numbers are clearly unrealistic but you can get an idea if 90 accounts played w/o vs 100 accounts with mq2 use gives you a proportionate of the accounts being impacted if they decided to do anything. That would destroy DGC especially when EQ1 is probably their 2nd highest money making machine.