CPU Speed vs Video card

Rasmussenn

Insert Witty Title <Here>
Reaction score
Time to get the advice of the Hardware Gurus!

I'm buying a new laptop and have narrowed the field down to 2 choices.

Everything about the machines is identical save for CPU speed and video.

One has 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L and a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache with dual graphics adapters: Intel Iris Pro and 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with automatic graphics switching

The other has 16GB of 1600MHz GDDR5 and a 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache with dual graphics adapters: Intel HD Graphics 4000, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

The 2 machines are roughly the same price, give or take a few $$.

What I'm trying to figure out is which 'compromise' will impact performance the most. Do I want faster CPU? Or better GPU?

Thoughts?

I recall that some of the mobile i7 have a low tdp and the turboboost will not work. I think its the QM cpu's. I would think a better GPU is more important.

Tough call but I would go with slightly slower CPU and 2 GB GPU.

Mainly due to the amount of graphics ram. If you go over 1 GB textures in ram it will feel like hitting a brick wall.

BUT . I haven't looked to see how much games are requiring.

Both are important, and the number of instances you intend to use is probably your determining factor. Graphics RAM seem to make a solid difference in total amount of instances I can have open. im currently using the 780M and have had 12 instances running (that is all i have) and it was ok. im sure it is some sort of combo between the 16GB ram, i7-4700MQ, 780M and the hard drive (seagate hybrid that was like $100), but it all runs really smoothly.

i routinely have 10 instances loaded, the 11th and 12th add a little choppiness last i tried. with 10 or less i have 0 noticeable lag though. I will say though that my CPU is perma 100% usage with all these (10) instances open + background stuff. if i cut down to 6 instances, it drops down to ~60/70%

I should have mentioned that both laptops have a 500gb flash (as in flash memory, not SSD) drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the replies. I heeded the advice and went with the upgraded GPU over faster CPU.

Can't wait to get it now :)

Just bought one of these

I run 6 mages on this guy zero chop very responsive zero lag. Its kinda my side car for my 2 desk tops. This laptop was strip down on trashware too.

ASUS G750JX i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz 17.3" Gaming Laptop

by Asus

Price: $1,499.99

Processor: Intel i7-4700HQ 2.40 GHz (x 8 threads) | 3.40 GHz (x 4 Threads) | 6 MB L3 Cache | 47 Watts
•Hard Drive: 750GB 7200rpm HDD
•RAM: 12GB (4GB+8GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM (1.35V)
•Optical Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW Dual Layer

Keep in mind the 750m is a rebranded 650m, same chip probably just higher frequency clocks so fps won't improve much. The rebranding is cause the the OEM vendors force NVIDIA to come out with something new every year, so the numbering just drives the sales. But essentially the same chip, you could get a 650m and overclock it to 750m standards probably.

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, a tic down on CPU wont hurt your games much, but the loss of GRAM will. Get this model