CPU Affinity

seashadow

Reaction score
Whats the advantage of using all 8 CPU's via CPU Affinity, vice designating each instance of EQ to run on two cpu's each?

I too was curious about this. I use ISBoxer and I wonder if I will see any improvement by turning this on.

As with most things the best bet is to try it and see.

*IF* things are working right you should be able to "park" an instance of EQ on a core and its happy doing its thing because EQ is single threaded (last I checked).

if you load / unload EQ clients in a specific order it is possible to park two instances of EQ on a single core while other cores are empty. Normally the OS would shuffle things around on the CPU to make sure all cores are busy.

Each time the CPU has to move an application like EQ with a heavy memory footprint there is some extra work. The penalty for hoping cores is much less than it used to be.

Some people swear you should park while others firmly believe you shouldn't.

I have an intel Q6600 quad core CPU. I generally six box a group and noticed a huge performance drop based on the order I loaded my characters.

As they were loading instances 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 (all fine) then 5+1 shared core and 6+2 shared a core.

Thus I started looking into cpu affinity and how I could dynamically shuffle EQ instances ( every couple seconds ) so that which ever eq instance was on top got priority and kicked any others off that core. In the end MQ2CpuLoad was born. Helped me a lot.

Friend of mine has one of those new AMD 8 core cpu's and he's can load 8 instances no problem. All depends on how many cores you have vs how many instances of EQ you run.

Easy answer is check your FPS. Change the setting and see if you notice a difference.

Viewport also greatly increases performance so that's another option to throw in the mix. CPU affinity + viewport plugin is a great combination and reduces lag to almost nothing while allowing a better graphics experience on your main window. :thumbup:

As dewey said though, the best thing to do is play around with it and figure out which works better for you. Every PC is built difference and everyone's needs are different. Turn it on and let it fly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

I already get 50 fps with 10 loaded anyway so whats the point in viewport.

I was working with one of the coders at SOE years ago to get viewport to stretch 2 monitors and let me move my UI to one window and have EQ on another . It worked pretty good actually.

I was working with one of the coders at SOE years ago to get viewport to stretch 2 monitors and let me move my UI to one window and have EQ on another . It worked pretty good actually.

Not everyone has the same computer as you though. Some folks have older hardware or stuff that isnt top notch and would benefit from using viewport.

This is so dependent on what processor you have. Also, whether you have cores, hyperthreading, etc. There are a lot of variables. You can easily force it to a CPU affinity if you want to test, but performance will widely vary based on what I mentioned.

htw

Not everyone has the same computer as you though. Some folks have older hardware or stuff that isnt top notch and would benefit from using viewport.

My computer is almost 4 years old if you have something older maybe its time to upgrade ?

I have noticed increased lag since they added this though. Like serious ability lag 2-3 seconds especially when running 8-9 toons relogging the toon its happening to fixes it. So I turned that shit off.

I turned it on and I didn't notice much of a difference with 6 toons. I do have a i5-2550k which is hyper threaded. What does MQ2CPULoad do? I didn't even know it existed.

I turned it on and I didn't notice much of a difference with 6 toons. I do have a i5-2550k which is hyper threaded. What does MQ2CPULoad do? I didn't even know it existed.

Ya it spread them out nice until you load another window (9th) onto the 1st core again after that both instances on that core lag for me. So I turned it off.