Charm Exploit to Transfer No Drop Items and Character Sales

Fry

Fry Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
Over the last few days an exploit has been going around where you can transfer no trade items.

Charm mob, give no trade item, Break charm, loot item on other player. Congratulations you've just transferred a no trade item.

I can imagine this will be fixed sometime in the next 48 hours as it's becoming common knowledge.

Anyway I would hold off buying any raid geared characters for the next week, as we don't know if suspension/ban waves are going to happen from this. If I was to take a guess, I would say no as I think it's become too wide spread and they don't want to be losing customers at this stage in EQ's life, but here is a heads up warning. If your buying a character with raid gear this week, I would be very careful and wait to see how this all plays out.

It's mind-boggling that this has been "discovered" now. Wonder if a recent patch "broke" something involving charms and created this bug. Surely if it existed since "day one" some creative player would have found it out before now.

I agree that this makes transactions dicey for the time being. There also was a post on allakhazam forums about a couple of toons being hacked, transferred to FV and all the gear and plat sold off. A warning to anyone doing business there as well. This stuff happens, of course, but with new "management" who knows what the risk is now, especially to "innocent" players who just happen to buy coin or items that were obtained thru hackery.

It has been live since the last patch that "fixed" pets. Where pets would only take slots they could use and hand you back stuff if it was already equipped. Fun trick for a pet class though is have a cleric summon their top level no rent 1hb that has a 6k dd proc on it and give to pets.Also orcs take shields and 2 hand weapons for those that care.

Also with this being said I guess they will just fix the code and nothing more.

http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37732/p/1

Last edited:
Oh I remember this exploit, it used to be possible to do this pre DoDH and it got fixed right before DoDH launch. Guess it got broke again.

Guess we can expect a ban wave. Especially with all the other complaining thats going on on the soe forums regarding 3rd party software.

I doubt a ban wave like fry said. Everyone said we would get a ban wave from the CoTF rare HA exploit too. I just see it being fixed. As this has zero to do with 3rd party software.While it is possible it is unlikely.

This same type of exploit happened around Velious. Back then, you could /duel another player, charm them, then hand them whatever item you wanted. Leave the zone so the duel would stop and the player would then have the item.

Another exploit attached to that was charming the player actually gave them more HP and DPS. We would raid some lower end content, duel, then charm a player and have them tank.

Did they move the fix to PROD? I wonder if they'll take the time to correct it for people that traded, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack, I'm sure a patch can be written, but will they take the effort to write it and test it out, seems like they are short staffed now.

Pretty easy for them to find actually. Since every item has an ItemID they could trace any NODROP to see if it was moved via trade.

Pretty easy for them to find actually. Since every item has an ItemID they could trace any NODROP to see if it was moved via trade.

Unless they have a traded flag in the item database they would have to track all no trade items that were on one player and on another a few minutes later. Not easy if you lack a traded field in the database.

It could be tracked a different way. They could query all raid items that were looted, and not looted from a raid chest. They wouldn't get everyone, but it would get the biggest offenders.

It could be tracked a different way. They could query all raid items that were looted, and not looted from a raid chest. They wouldn't get everyone, but it would get the biggest offenders.

maybe

Yes they can figure out who did it, but is it worth the effort?
With a declining userbase do they really need to ban and lose more paying customers?
After all this was a bug they re-introduced...

Well crap. I wish someone had told me about this "well-known" exploit. I've got a ton on raid items on toons I'm not playing anymore that I would have loved to give to my active accounts. :rolleyes: