Changing auto inventory back to vertical

jjmanfdl

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I don't feel like digging through posts if it has so here is how you change your auto inventory back to vertical instead of horizontal.

1. Go to your uifiles folder in eq

2. open EQUI_Inventory XML file with notepad

3. Use the find button and search for horizontalfirst

4. you will see a line <HorizontalFirst>true</HorizontalFirst>

5. replace the true with false

6. save

7. reload your skin and back to normal

I just use the default skin not sure if it'll change custom ui's

Thanks. That was starting to become annoying trying to figure out where my loot was going after so many years of a certain way.

No Kidding!! Thank YOU! too many years knowing vertical auto loot, now they go and change this on me, not cool SOE

problem is if you are using the default in the default folder you will have to change it everytime because sony will patch over your change every time you login. yes this will work with custom uis as well.

problem is if you are using the default in the default folder you will have to change it everytime because sony will patch over your change every time you login. yes this will work with custom uis as well.

Make a new folder with just the modified file and use that as UI, game will pick up missing items from Default folder and won't change anything inside the new folder.

Seems pretty stupid that they didn't make this the default.

Just change it once and load eq with patchme wont need to worry about default patching

Change isn't working for me ((

Greetings,
I've done the ui change as directed but nothing changes. I've done it both from outside the game and when having the game running. Doesn't change anything. ((

I did it while I was in game, make sure you save the changes and make sure you reload your skin when in game. I guess if you repatch it will write over the changes.

Make a new folder with just the modified file and use that as UI, game will pick up missing items from Default folder and won't change anything inside the new folder.

Like he said. Just make a new folder in your UI folder and call it Default1. Copy all of he default folder contents into it. Make your changes inside your new Default1 folder Then load game. Have toon. Load UI Default1.

You shouldn't copy all of the contents of the default folder. You should only copy the files that you modify. That way, you won't have to recopy things every time there's a change to files that you haven't even modified. When you load a custom UI, it checks for the file in the custom UI folder and if it's not found, automatically pulls the file from the Default folder anyway.

If you change anything in the Default UI folder it will be overwritten every time you patch EQ. The patcher does a checksum on the files and will replace your edited file with the 'correct' file

As has been said: just put the ONE file in a new folder and /loadskin NewFolder from in game.

Well, I made a new directory called default1, copied the ui_inventory.xml to it. Then I changed the horizontal to false and saved it. Then I reloaded ui targeting the default1 directory. The screen freezes, then comes back (like it is loading it) but when I clik on the open bags I still get the new horizontal bag image. Anything else I should be doing? Thanx for your help. ))

I don't think this has anything to do with how your bags appear in game. I haven't played with it, but I think that it just changes the order of your top-level slots, so instead of going left to right and then top to bottom, it goes back to how they were before HoT, aka top to bottom in the first column and then top to bottom in the second column.

NEW:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
9 10

OLD: (or modified)
1 6
2 7
3 8
4 9
5 10

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about my understanding of what the fix in this post does.

I'm not sure that you can change the order that items are put into bags anymore, since the bags are resizable, so the position of the slots inside a bag aren't really set into a pattern like they are for top-level inv slots.

Thanx for your post on my other post (feel really retarded about that one).
Now, when I open my inventorys I get large rectangels that are mostly empty. I guess they are preparing (and have some at this time) to enlarge capacity bags. All my bags are 10 slotters and will be for the foreseeable future. I was trying to find a way to just have them open in a verticle mode. Right now they open like :

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 etc

instead of the
1 2
3 4
5 etc formate.

I was hoping (as I have many characters) that I could some how revert back to the verticle look enmasse without having to resize every bag in every bank on every account. Was hoping that this was possible. Just trying to get a lazy way of doing it and I thought it might be as easy as telling it to not go horizontal (false v/s true setting). )

Thank You!

Very nice post .... thank you so much.

I was going bonkers with that horizontal layout of the inventory bags.

At least now its back to the old way it was !

I followed it up by positioning / resizing the first bag to the exact location - width - height i wanted...

Then exited EQ.

Edited my UI_[Charactername]_[Server].ini file to remove the no longer needed
BagInv1 to BagInv10 elements ....

Then I grouped my BagInv1Combine through BagInv10Combine elements together.

I deleted the BagInv2Combine through BagInv10Combine elements.

Copied then pasted BagInv1Combine element 9 times and changed the number on the subsequent elements accordingly.

This gave me all 10 bag slots in the same exact position - width - height.

After i confirmed it worked correctly by logging back into game... i exited EQ again ... and used GIC (Garryck's Ini Copier) to copy that toon's UI file elements to all my other characters. Thus making my life much simpler and puting all my characters back to the way I wanted them with their inventory slots.

By the way ... I do not know of ANY place you can still obtain GIC (Garryck's Ini Copier) for download. This utility is old as hell (I remember getting it originally about 7 years ago) ... but it is absolutely the most essential and best tool for copying/syncing the exact layout / positioning / sizing of all your UI window elements across all your characters!

If anybody needs this and can't get ahold of a copy... PM me.. and i'll be happy to hook you up. I stored a copy of it on a web server I manage, but don't want the URL address to the download to get spammed across a million pages... lol

Last edited:
GIC has been a part of my EQ install since 2002 :p I dunno what I'd do without it :)

How is GIC different or better than the EQ command /copylayout ?

How is GIC different or better than the EQ command /copylayout ?
It copies the entire file settings, not just the particular view/ratio

It also saves a copy of the old file and has a restore capability bult in

/copylayout only copies the specified view. And it overwrites the existing layout permanently, leaving no room for experimentation or remorse :p