Car Advice

Kingruler

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting a new (er) car, and i've narrowed it down to 2. First we have the 2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V:
Nissan1.jpg

Nissan2.jpg

Second is the 2008 MazdaSpeed 3:
Mazda1.jpg

mazda2.jpg

The Nissan is cheaper, and have around 35,000 miles while the Mazda is $3,000 more with about 17,000 miles. Both are manuals and the Mazda is turbocharged. Insurance is around the same for both, give or take $150ish dollars. The Nissan is 30 miles away from me and the Mazda is in Ohio ( I'm in Pittsburgh area so it's still pretty close ). Which would you guys take and why?

Last edited:
Well imo it depends on how much you want out of the car you looking for everyday driver with abit of gittey up or just something to have fun with sport around in ? I would go with the mazda in either case if your not mechanically inclined because it is already turboed and you can just add a few bolt ons cheap and easy to make it load fun and abit faster if your just looking for a laid back cheaper whip that still looks decent go with the other

Yea, they are both real nice cars imo, there's nothing wrong body or mechanical wise. The nissan is at 200 hp while the mazda is at 265. Will be a daily driver for school until winter when I get the truck out. The only thing I will change off the bat will be adding an amp and some subs ( probably 2 12's )

Mazda is going to last you a lot longer than the Nissan - Mazdas have superior engineering. For a ricer, the Mazda3 is a nice car. I wouldn't even consider the Nissan. There should be some good consumer reports sites that talk about the drop in Nissan reliability.

Mazda is going to last you a lot longer than the Nissan - Mazdas have superior engineering. For a ricer, the Mazda3 is a nice car. I wouldn't even consider the Nissan. There should be some good consumer reports sites that talk about the drop in Nissan reliability.

Most of the reports I read on the Nissan deal strictly with issues of the interior. There have been 2 recalls for issues with the Master Cylinder, an leaking break fluid. The Mazdaspeed3 series hasn't had any recalls reported yet, there has been 2 recalls for the 2007 series, but not 2008. One was a engine mount bolt issue, while the other was the floor mat getting stuck under pedals.

Last edited:
I have driven 3 mazda's now....Two mazda6 and now a MazdaCX-9 They always performed well for me, handled nicely, and the two mazda6 saved my wife once each :p

Most of the reports I read on the Nissan deal strictly with issues of the interior. There have been 2 recalls for issues with the Master Cylinder, an leaking break fluid. The Mazdaspeed3 series hasn't had any recalls reported yet, there has been 2 recalls for the 2007 series, but not 2008. One was a engine mount bolt issue, while the other was the floor mat getting stuck under pedals.

I can't remember specifically what I was searching, and I can't seem to replicate it now. I was looking at an Infinity a while back, and wound up on some forum that had a link to a ton of consumer complaints about Nissan/Infinity warranty/recall/customer service - and how the brand was diminishing, using a lot more generic GM parts, and quality control was dropping.

Sorry I can't track that same site down, I was thinking it was Edmunds but I haven't found what I found last time I looked.

The reliability on the naturally aspirated car is going to be better than on the turbo, regardless of brand/model.

Test drive a Mazda with a similar turbo if you don't want to go all the way to OH to try that one out. Not all turbos are created equal. Some are laggy/annoying, others are crisp. And if you've only ever owned naturally aspirated cars before, you'll know pretty quick if you like it or not.

But turbo engines have shorter lifespans than NA engines in general.

Your decision

In my opinion the Mazda is vastly better looking. The Nissan almost looks like a miniaturized Maxima (which is the branding look they were going for) but to me it comes across almost toy like in that the wheels and tires are dwarfed by the front head lights. Even with after market wheels and tires the arches are not large enough to accomodate a wheel that will diminish that to my liking.

The Mazda just looks a lot nicer and for the extra $50 a month that extra 65 horsepower will probably be more than worth it. If the performance and eye appeal is the same to you, then to me it should come down to which one you will feel cooler stepping out of in front of a patio full of ladies . . .

If money is not a concern, based purely on aesthetics the Mazda is the obvious choice (then again I spend $200 a month in annual fees for a credit card no one takes /shrug).

Nissan all the way!

I don't like the way the Mazda looks and I had a Nissan Sentra in college and it lasted me many years and with no issues. I called her Neesy, I loved that car sooo much. :p

I would go with the Nissan myself. IF I had to go just between those two cars. Personally would go a few years older and get me a benz or bmw.

I would go with the Nissan myself. IF I had to go just between those two cars. Personally would go a few years older and get me a benz or bmw.

My beginning list was pretty big, with several cars going back to even 2004 ( WRX STI mainly ). There was some decent Audi A3's I was looking at in the 06-07 range an some 325i's. I narrowed it down to the best price an milage for the years. I didn't like the impreza 2.5's cuz they are small an boxy on the interior if you ask me, although I was initially bought on an AWD. I plan to go test another mazdaspeed3 that's closer to me to get a feel for it. The Lancer GTS and Tiburon were also on the list, but the Tiburon felt like shit driving and the Lancer is eh.

Given your apparent taste, I would go with the Mazda. The car is young. Unless it's owner treated it rough, or it's had multiple owners already, I would go with the mazda. They are just... so great. Don't get me wrong, that nissan is a good car. Unfortunately I've had problems with my late nissan in the past (though I've heard many times they live forever).

just going to throw out the. have you looked at the insurance is vs. the other? i would be will to bed that the maz will cost a fair bit more to ensure but not 100%. may want to lok into that before you go off and buy one. was gonna buy ans s2000 right out of school and ened up not when i found out how much the inssurance was. granted i knwo the car is vastly diffent i would just look at that cuz if its gonna cost you $75 or $100 more a month to drive u may reconsider the value.

just going to throw out the. have you looked at the insurance is vs. the other? i would be will to bed that the maz will cost a fair bit more to ensure but not 100%. may want to lok into that before you go off and buy one. was gonna buy ans s2000 right out of school and ened up not when i found out how much the inssurance was. granted i knwo the car is vastly diffent i would just look at that cuz if its gonna cost you $75 or $100 more a month to drive u may reconsider the value.

The difference in price is in a decent range for me, although others may disagree as to what they want to pay. The Nissan is $1200 a year and the Mazda is $1400, but I pay for a years worth at a time so both fit into my budget. I use a multi car policy, with multiple policies in the household so the discounts I get more than make up for the 200 difference it would be. Actually, a PoS 2008 Hyundai Tiburon cost more than the Nissan an just shy of the Mazda.

Last edited:
Im both a Mazda fan and Nissan, but I personally would go for the Nissan. I guess Volvo has this new deal that if your vehicle has under 35,000 miles, you can use their oil (its like $60 a change) but they guarntee your engine up to 300,000 miles if you use their oil. Just throwin that out there for anyone that thought it was interesting :p

Nissan

I am a Nissan man myself... But Mazda makes a good product as well...

Make sure you take what ever car you are going to buy to a mechanic and have him do a compression check and what they call a 120 point inspection... Yes it will cost you, but it is money well spent.

The Mazda's heavier, by about 300 lbs. It's also got slightly lower compression, and it hits red at 5500 (the Nissan's at 6600).

All of this means the cars are closer in performance than you might think, though the Mazda's still measurably quicker.

But the bottom line is these are both front wheel drive cars -- neither were meant to handle well at high speeds, so push them at your own risk.

The Mazda, though, does have true independent suspension in the rear, while the Nissan does not (making the Mazda much safer when you push it at high speeds).

Still, FWD stays FWD. No steering once you get fast.

Last edited:
Oh, and I also agree with JJ.

Go older and get a better car. You could be driving an M3 for similar cash, and that car has a pedigree that shows through in its performance. I guarantee you if you drive one, you'll at least agree it's a lot more fun.

In my opinion the only Japanese car that drives like it has a little bit of the track in it is a Supra. I'm not much for the WRXs and Lancers, etc. What's left of those cars' racing heritage by the time you get your hands on them comes straight from the rally-based design, and buying a rally-inspired car to drive on the street makes about as much sense as riding a seahorse through the desert. You want a track-inspired car. The horsepower will be better deployed, and for that reason it'll be a lot more fun to drive/a lot quicker.

Oh, and I also agree with JJ.

Go older and get a better car. You could be driving an M3 for similar cash, and that car has a pedigree that shows through in its performance. I guarantee you if you drive one, you'll at least agree it's a lot more fun.

In my opinion the only Japanese car that drives like it has a little bit of the track in it is a Supra. I'm not much for the WRXs and Lancers, etc. What's left of those cars' racing heritage by the time you get your hands on them comes straight from the rally-based design, and buying a rally-inspired car to drive on the street makes about as much sense as riding a seahorse through the desert. You want a track-inspired car. The horsepower will be better deployed, and for that reason it'll be a lot more fun to drive/a lot quicker.

When my ship stopped in Pearl Harbor for RIMPAC a couple years ago, I rented this lovely M3 for the 4th of July weekend...gotta say, loved it LOVVVVEEEDDD it. I just don't think I'm at the stage in my life atm to own one though, if that makes any sense.