Cannot load MMOBugs MQ2, EQBCS files in use?

DrmChld

Reaction score
Been trying to install the updated version of MMO Bugs MacroQuest and whenever it loads I get the windows pop up error message saying:

Cannot open file C:\MQ2\EQBCS-Classic.exe. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Then MMOLoader says Checking for Updates and does nothing else.

I have tried the following:
Reinstalling MMO.
Uninstalling then reinstalling
Deleting and reinstalling
Deleting, reinstall to different directory
Numerous reboots
Firewall rules
Disabled all plugins (except the ones you cannot uncheck)
Using Unlock process Utils

EQBCS is not set to be loaded.

Not listed in Task Manager. No service being loaded for it.

I am at a loss.

I can't even play EQ without MQ2 anymore :)

Need my fix!

after rebooting, and logging in / nothing else -
can you go to the c:\mq2 folder

do you see the file ( EQBCS-Classic.exe ) there?

try to delete it

Are you able to delete it?

If it says the same message, did you at some point decide to set EQBCS-classic as a service?

If so, Winkey+R ... type in the run box : services.msc and enter.

look down the list for the service, it may be something you named yourself, EQBCS or something. Stop it.

then run the update.

Edit : Saw you say it's not a service. Would like to know if the file appears there ok or not etc.

Last edited:
if it's locked and you say it's not a process you know about, maybe something else is locking it, like virus protection etc.

here's an explanation of how to find what is locking the file :

(original link with an image and the download links, about 1/2 down the page
How to find out what program is locking a file in windows | Usability Distilled)

Download Process Explorer from Microsoft’s SysInternals website.

This is just a zip file, just extract it and run procexp.exe. You will now see the main Process Explorer screen. This gives you lots of very detailed information about what is currently running on you computer.

Click the binoculars icon on the toolbar, or select “Find Handle or dll…” from the Find menu.

Type in the full path to the file you are having problems with and click search. If any currently running processes are using this file they will show up in this search. Clicking one of the results in this search will jump you to that process in the process list where you can then view more information about that program or potentially kill the program to free up the lock on the file.

I didn't think of deleting them. Figured it was required by the loader.

I renamed the file with the extension of .old

I received the same message for the following files. I have renamed them as well

EQBC-Interface
EQBC-Xenias
MQ2EQBCS
EQNavigation

After renaming them, MMOLoader get stuck on the Checking for Updates.

I deleted and added new firewall rules to allow MMOLoader to be completed open.

It is now going through the update and is asking me to update the files I renamed.

This seems to have done it. I have not tried logging into the game yet.