Buying a desktop

Tapout

Before You Blackout
Reaction score
Im looking around to buy a desktop and probably spend 800-1500 depending what I can find, does anyone have some recommendations for a good site to buy one from?

Could buy a barebones kit from newegg and add your own hardware to it or just build your own from scratch. Can have a pretty wicked custom computer for $1500.

It all depends what you want it for though. Low, Mid or High level gaming? Multitasking? Media? Graphics or video editing?

I got mine from best buy for $700, i think, last year and it works just fine for what I need it for.

Edit: Guess I should add a link to show you what I got. http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=7479285&pid=1218847153040

That isn't the exact one but it is close. I think mine only has 8gb of ram and an Intel processor but it's close enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'm looking for something I can 4 box with no lag at all maybe have a youtube or twitchtv video stream up as well. I'm going to try to have a dual monitor set up. I'd rather just buy something already built as I would probably break something if I tried it myself.

That one I linked is more than enough for 4 boxing. I run multiple browsers, 4-6 EQ instances, some editors and other random stuff with zero lag and fast zones with an older model of the one I linked. I put a $20 video card in it when my son stepped on the HDMI cable busted the HDMI output on the integrated card though. I have it hooked up to a 40 inch tv but a dual monitor setup will be easy to produce.

As a matter of fact, I used to 8 box back in the day on my old 2ghz pentium 4 with like 1.5 gigs of ram lol. It doesn't take a lot to multibox EQ :)

I'm running on a 5 yr old PC that can run 4 toons pretty smoothly and its like a 2.0 ghz intel quad core. Replaced the video card about 2 years ago.

I spec'ed out an eight core (8) AMD with 32 gig ram . $200 ish video card , etc for ~ $950

I figure I should be able to run 6-8 smooth as silk and if I want to dabble with doing old raids I'll be able to load twice that w/o hitting ram or cpu limits. Don't know when I'll have enough saved up to purchase though. Maybe Christmas present !

Last edited:
I used to build my own. Now 10 years later, it's just easier to buy. I went to my local shop, asked for gaming pc with no lights and as little sound as possible. I got an i5, 16 gigs, 256 ssd, a decent $300 vid card all name brand parts and the whole thing cost me $1300 and it is exactly what I wanted. So check local, see what they can do for you.

I can 6 box and play diablo 3 at the same time with no problem and my rig is over a year old.

Easy to build your own. Every time I do, I check out the barebones kits but always end up doing it completely custom as it typically means getting the performance standard as opposed to a tier below (1800 or 2133 ram, as opposed to 1600, etc). Solid state memory is dropping really fast, which means you can get a 256gb. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if you found a barebones kit or good prebuilt for a good price.

I spent $1500 on my last setup during black friday of last year. Needless to say, in addition to playing games, I also run star simulations for my research. $1500 is a kickass rig that puts you way past the limits of most anything you'd need to do.

On the downside to building your own, I set out to spend $1100, and the "just a little more" syndrome hit me until I was up to $1500. :eek:

PCPartPicker

This is my favorite Website for building a rig.. or just fantasizing about building a $10k rig..

I built a i5 rig about 2.5 years ago for $900 and it still is a beast. Its so beyond easy to build them nowadays.

Anyone ordered anything from CyberPower? I did some what if type stuff and basically ended up with their price being $1200 . Newegg part list $1260 with $60 worth of rebates.

Now if I 'reused' my Win7 install would shave $100 off that and make it competitive, but that's cheating!

There is one benefit to buying a pre-canned computer: you can call someone to get something replaced. If you buy the parts yourself, you get to support it.

Personally, I do the build it yourself and buy pre-canned. It depends on the price point and how well it fits my needs.

I think Im going to go with one from cyberpowerpc or ibuypower. My old one was from cyberpowerpc and ran for 5 years with a couple minor issues, has anyone here dealt with ibuypower before?

I think Im going to go with one from cyberpowerpc or ibuypower. My old one was from cyberpowerpc and ran for 5 years with a couple minor issues, has anyone here dealt with ibuypower before?

Bought my computer from them in 2008/9. No issues what so ever. For some reason when researching where to buy from I saw some negative reviews. When you look around the internet they were really going out of their way to make people happy with them and their service. 4 years later machine still runs like a beast (box 6 at a time almost everyday).

Both of those companies offer 6 months interest free financing through bill me later on systems over $500. Just something to consider if youd rather pay it off monthly instead of all at once. I used to use it for big purchases then just pay it all off before the 6 months ended until my PayPal account got locked :banghead:

Good time to do it too would be August-October since the 6 months would end right at tax return time :D

Have brought 3 laptops and a desktop from Ibuypower over a time period of 8 years. The company have yet to fail me and great customer service, never had a problem with them just my opinion. If you look at my old arse posts there's info on comps from other topics of owning a rig.

For about $1500 I built my own.

This is what I ended up with:

Processor: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Video Card: EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Master HD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Slave HD: 2TB Seagate

Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-1000AE 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS12X 120mm Long Life Bearing High Performance Triple Fan CPU Cooler

Case: Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

All in all this is an awesome set up. It has handled everything I have thrown at it. My only regret is that I didn't get a video card that would support a 3 120hz monitor surround, which would have added another $1000 - $1200 for the video card and monitors. So if you're gaming with just one monitor or 3 monitors at 60hz that's an awesome set up.

Edit: If you're concerned about not knowing how to build your own PC don't be. I had never built a PC before and 95% if it was super easy. The only hard parts were mounting the CPU cooler because it was so massive, and figuring out where to connect the molex connectors on my motherboard from all the fans in my case.

Last edited:
Building your own has some serious benefits, but everything falls to you to do yourself. I build my own for a few reasons, first being that any software problem I have, I can fix myself, so the only problem comes with faulty hardware. I lived in LA, so I bought all my parts from places that had local manufacturer plants. Anytime I had hardware failure, I popped out the part, called the place and said I'd be there in 15 minutes to exchange it. Usually, I had my part replaced under warranty in an hour or two from problem occuring to getting the new part in my computer. If I didn't have this option, and had to deal with 4-6 week warranty wait times, I'd probably buy pre-built machines for the laziness factor of it.

The only other reason I'd build it myself is because at that point I know it's done right. I spend a ton of time dealing with cooling solutions, cable management, etc. Many Manufacturers don't do that, and also use custom cut cables for their setup. Even buying manufacturer computers, usually there isn't enough slack on the cables to do any clean wiring (invisible wiring for example), which sucks. I like opening up my case to clean it out and only seeing my mother board and expansion cards there. Makes dusting it out quite easy, and also makes swapping parts out just as easy.

I bought a desktop from Ibuypower like 3 years ago an I7 930, 12gbs of ram. I run the thing 24/7 basically never turn it off only things I've replaced was the Video card and upgraded the ram to 24gbs. Highly recommend them.

Usually I build it myself, but I chose not to that time. I can load 15 EQ windows with 0 lag all running macros. (video card is ATI 7870). When I was botting Diablo 3 I was running 12 instances of it on that PC. I've wanted to upgrade to the newer I7s, but for playing EQ I just don't see a reason to even at the price microcenter has the 4770k its pretty cheap when all I would do is buy the MB/CPU i have the rest.

Last edited:
Building your own has some serious benefits, but everything falls to you to do yourself. I build my own for a few reasons, first being that any software problem I have, I can fix myself, so the only problem comes with faulty hardware. I lived in LA, so I bought all my parts from places that had local manufacturer plants. Anytime I had hardware failure, I popped out the part, called the place and said I'd be there in 15 minutes to exchange it. Usually, I had my part replaced under warranty in an hour or two from problem occuring to getting the new part in my computer. If I didn't have this option, and had to deal with 4-6 week warranty wait times, I'd probably buy pre-built machines for the laziness factor of it.

The only other reason I'd build it myself is because at that point I know it's done right. I spend a ton of time dealing with cooling solutions, cable management, etc. Many Manufacturers don't do that, and also use custom cut cables for their setup. Even buying manufacturer computers, usually there isn't enough slack on the cables to do any clean wiring (invisible wiring for example), which sucks. I like opening up my case to clean it out and only seeing my mother board and expansion cards there. Makes dusting it out quite easy, and also makes swapping parts out just as easy.

I would also like to add that another benefit of building your own is you get to select who makes your parts. I.E. I only use EVGA video cards, because they have always worked flawlessly for me. Much like Static, I put a lot of thought in to my cooling solutions and the overall air flow within my case to overclock safely without heat damaging the equipment. Also the internal temperature of the case can impact the performance of the SSD, losing a lot of the benefit of running your system on an SSD.