Beta info

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Anyone got anything interesting to discuss about the beta? I am downloading it now so not sure when I can log in myself.

One dude told me level 109 is a true hell level, a la the olden days. Interesting that he's already blasted thru 106-108. Wondering if anyone else has gotten to 109 yet.

Doesn't really bother me. I always hate how fast players level thru the new levels in modern EQ. When Kunark came out it was real work to do 50-60. 56-59 were all "hell" and 59 was true hell. I'd solo-kill DB mobs and only get a noticeable XP bar increase every other kill or so. There was no better feeling, other than sex, than dinging into 60! :eek:

109 did take longer then the rest combined.

109 did take longer then the rest combined.

Yeah, in a way, this is a sorta good thing. Hell levels were crap back in the day, but I miss them now.

Is RoS exp about like EoK? Or is EoK still best exp?

I don't see how it can be a good thing. It adds nothing to the game. Why would anyone enjoy being stuck a lvl 109 for a longer period of time?

I don't see how it can be a good thing. It adds nothing to the game. Why would anyone enjoy being stuck a lvl 109 for a longer period of time?

That's all about how we value things. Things that come easy we don't value. If you have to work at it, its more gratifying.

That's all about how we value things. Things that come easy we don't value. If you have to work at it, its more gratifying.

I tend to agree. This is one of the reasons I keep flocking back to EQ over newer "easy" games. I for one would be perfectly fine with some serious hell levels... they shouldn't come easy. What good is rushing to max level/ aa to just be bored again in 3 months? Sure you could argue the content but isn't that content made to progress through WHILE leveling not after maxing level as fast as you can?

You do realise you're using cheats to play the game, right??

I'd rather they make the content actually harder. Making a level take longer doesn't add anything but a minor delay getting to max level. I just don't see the point. I'll be max level in no time anyway so no big deal.

Last edited:
Making a level take longer doesn't add anything but a minor delay getting to max level. I just don't see the point. I'll be max level in no time anyway so no big deal.

You're exactly missing the point! Back in the day when this wasn't true the game had a lot more depth because players could be found at every level from 1 thru 50 (or 60) and grouping was easy across the board. Achieving 50 was a major accomplishment and then dinging 60 in Kunark was another major accomplishment, although not nearly as big since level inflation had already started with Kunark.

The game has been forever altered, probably negatively, by the obsessive drive of most players to get to max level, and now even max aa's, regardless of how many aa's there are available. The game's been altered by this because Sony and then DBG know very well that every time they raise the level cap they don't DARE make it too hard to reach the new cap because the serious raiding guilds need their troops to be max level asap and if you piss them off by making it actually take a long time to max out, you run the risk of players quitting the game.

Hell, even P99 has suffered this way. I joined P99 early on and it was a blast to see low level toons everywhere, trains in Crushbone, Unrest mobs killed so fast you could run thru even the dungeons safely to get to a camp. The last time I logged in my toon, the low level areas were mostly empty, altho not as bad as live game.

Yeah, I got my P99 toon to 50 but it took a LOT of time and effort. To be honest, when Kunark came out, the challenge to get to 60 was too much so I stopped playing P99. The "gloss" of playing a game that reminded me of early EQ was wearing off. THIS is the risk DBG won't dare take on: the risk of losing serious players by making them really work to reach a new level cap.

Last edited:
What kills me is the raiding content.

It seems to be a raider in the current content you need to move to one of the 'raiding' servers or your left with a 'family' guild trying to play with the big boys.

The group gear from each new expansion is tuned such that there is very little difference between new group gear and older raid gear.

And the newer raids are tuned such that you've got to really be on the ball with enough of the right people to get the job done.

(I'm pretty sure none of the guilds on bertox have beaten all the EoK raids )

You exactly right.

I raided for years and it was fun, a social gathering. Sure we were serious about wanting to win but we could still goof around and enjoy ourselves like at a party.

The last few times I tried to raid in a serious raiding guild I had the impression a platoon going into battle in WW2 fought with less intensity.

We used to have the goofballs and those players that didn't really carry their weight or went /afk during raids all too often. But unless they literally did things to wipe the raid force we tolerated them, probably because we needed the numbers but also because the raid force was mainly a group of friends and like with RL friends you sometimes have to tolerate borderline cases.

Now it's all about measuring dps and announcing rankings after every engagement so as to be sure to embarass anyone who didn't at least hit the middle ranks of his/her class. Ugh...

SiegeTank, you said it perfectly.

Our guild has some older / disabled folks who like the social aspect of the game but they are horribly slow at doing emotes.

In the old days that just meant you killed your self. Now it means you take out half the raid force and it fails the encounter.

So you guys who have been exping in RoS, what's the exp like compared to EoK? EoK seems to have been stupidly good experience, is it still good, or is RoS a step up?