Being alerted to /tells

stacks3

Reaction score
Hello. Probably a simple question and guessing there's multiple ways to deal with it.

I'm using the bot.mac, only while at the computer, but want to be able to be alerted to a /tell without having to tab through characters all the time.

Audio triggers in-game seemed like the simplest solution, but for my mages when their pets are going crazy attacking/backing off mobs they say "tells you" and happens every pull. I couldn't find a way to straight-up remove the pet messages. Any suggestions?

Thank you

This should be close.

Code:
#event DoTell "#1# tells you, '#2#'"

Sub Event_DoTell(string line, string Requestor, string Request)
    |/echo DoTell Line -${line}-
    |/echo Requestor -${Requestor}-
    |/echo Request -${Request}-
	/if (${Requestor.Left[1].Compare[ ]}<0) /varset Requestor ${Requestor.Right[-2].Left[-1]} 
	/if (${Requestor.Right[1].Compare[ ]}<0) /varset Requestor ${Requestor.Left[-1]}
    | We dont care about your pet sending us tells
    /if ( ${Requestor.Equal[${Me.Pet.CleanName}]} ) /return
	/if ( ${Requestor.Find[Merchant]} ) /return

| If they are not a Master then check if we should resend thier tells to channel
    /call chatty "${Requestor}" "me," "${Request}"
	/beep
	/top
	/popup ${Requestor} told me, ${Request}
/return

You can use MQ2CustomSound also. It has an option for tell event that filters any "tells you" from NPCs.

Turn tell windows on in options and then type /beepontells on

Last edited:

That doesn't tell you what account/toon got the tell though.

So if you have 6 accounts it just beeps then you needs to figure out what one.

You can use WinTitle and adjust the settings to show that you've received a tell. It would notify you in the taskbar tab as to which toon received it and from who the tell was sent by. This wouldn't create a sound but you could visually see who the tell is to and who it's from. Combining this with /beepontells should work well.

Last edited:
I use windows 8 and have some kind of window preview turned on I hear the beep and put mouse over the taskbar and I see all 6 windows in preview mode and can easily spot which toon has a tell window up... I don't recieve tells often though so it works well.

I guess I could create a command that flashes the window that has a tell in it..,

I found this code and added it a plugin. So when I get a tell it pops the client to the foreground.

AddCommand("/top",BringEQToTop);

Code:
void BringEQToTop(PSPAWNINFO pCHAR, PCHAR szLine) 
{
	HWND hWnd=*(HWND*)EQADDR_HWND;
	if(!::IsWindow(hWnd)) return;

BYTE keyState[256] = {0};
	//to unlock SetForegroundWindow we need to imitate Alt pressing
	if(::GetKeyboardState((LPBYTE)&keyState))
	{
		if(!(keyState[VK_MENU] & 0x80))
		{
			::keybd_event(VK_MENU, 0, KEYEVENTF_EXTENDEDKEY | 0, 0);
		}
	}

::SetForegroundWindow(hWnd);

if(::GetKeyboardState((LPBYTE)&keyState))
	{
		if(!(keyState[VK_MENU] & 0x80))
		{
			::keybd_event(VK_MENU, 0, KEYEVENTF_EXTENDEDKEY | KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0);
		}
	}
}

I use Gina as a way to alert to tells and announce the character name who got it.

MQ2RelayTells is great. I send them to eqbcs so that i can see on whatever toon I am on.

I'd recommend VoiceCommand combined with RelayTells. Works great for me.

Is there anyway to get this to work when someone uses the ;tell or [tell command as well?

;tell and [tell bypasses /tell windows =(

Last edited:
Yes but it would be better if you just ask the eqdevs about it as I consider it a eq bug. If they say no I guess I'm gonna have to do it, it's been on my todo list for quite some time.

On a related note /flashontells will now flash the window that has a tell waiting.

I just use the raid tool GINA . It literally will tell me
" Gothicnightmare has a Private message "
or
" *Insert name* received a private message "

You can tell it what you want it to say and have different triggers for different characters.
Hell I get so focused on raids that I have to have it tell me when someone in my group even types at all so I have sound triggers that let me know when and what channel has been typed in. Im pretty sure most of you here are familiar with GINA - but for those that arent .. it really is a nice little tool for expanding EQs sound notify system to something customizable and deep. Even has timers that you can display on screen etc.

The only problem with alerts is when a pet "tells you", which activates my in game audio trigger. Not sure how to get around that.

There are quite a few ways to do this with just our plugins.

One way is MQ2Events, but if you don't want to set them up, you can always use MQ2CustomSound which will play whatever custom sound you want, and also filters out NPC tells and pet tells (including the I live again one).

If you like it talking to you, you could use MQ2VoiceCommand which I had updated and expanded a while back, and works really good. I never got around to the wiki, but if someone were actually interested in it, then I could create it.

htw

One way is MQ2Events, but if you don't want to set them up, you can always use MQ2CustomSound which will play whatever custom sound you want, and also filters out NPC tells and pet tells (including the I live again one).

If you like it talking to you, you could use MQ2VoiceCommand which I had updated and expanded a while back, and works really good. I never got around to the wiki, but if someone were actually interested in it, then I could create it.

htw

Hey, yeah I tired the customsound plugin and had to create my own mq2customsound.ini file because it was missing? Anyway, I added the correct paths to play .wav files on tells, but I still don't get any sounds.

I've done like /csound tell and I can hear the sound I want, but it doesn't announce for incoming tells. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but as of now I've just been using tell windows with /beepontells and using custom in-game audio triggers for "told you," just in case someone uses ; or [ tells.

htw

Hey, yeah I tired the customsound plugin and had to create my own mq2customsound.ini file because it was missing? Anyway, I added the correct paths to play .wav files on tells, but I still don't get any sounds.

I've done like /csound tell and I can hear the sound I want, but it doesn't announce for incoming tells. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but as of now I've just been using tell windows with /beepontells and using custom in-game audio triggers for "told you," just in case someone uses ; or [ tells.

Using some of the advice originally offered to me in this thread, I ended up using MQ2CustomSound; first I tried creating custom .wav files which didn't work, and then I tried using the default ones in the MQ2/Sounds directory which did work. It has been working well enough using a different sound for each computer so I have a general idea which accounts to tab through. I attached my working .ini just in-case it will help.

Also, thanks to everyone for the assistance :)

Attachments

• MQ2CustomSound.ini
    110 bytes · Views: 6