Banned : MQ2 Detected on client (P1999)

Spunge

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just been told this is why i was banned from P1999

I've never used anything other than the map (No speed, gate,warp etc) and they've managed to detect

I've heard from a source that theyre able to scan and detect MQ2 being active client side somehow, anyone able to shed some light on this?

Also would'nt there be a legality issue if they were using some kind of program to scan processes or what?

Bit of a kick in the teeth considering i had just dinged 50 couple days ago!

Ah well, just a heads up - i wouldnt use MQ2 on here at all until maybe one of the devs can give us some more information?

Legally I doubt you'll get anywhere, it's not some big business who is going to lose customers, lawsuit over detecting a process is going to go nowhere. If you win, then what? Running an emulator server is a little more legally damaging than detecting running processes.

Htw disabled long distance targeting, map targeting and warping on P1999 as we knew something was in the works. We thought this should bypass being detectable. Maybe the client is telling the server when the map is open? Who knows at this stage.

If they are reading process names, we could random that pretty easy, but if they were doing this they would be detecting MMOLoader not MacroQuest2.

Ultimately we really need more information on who is getting caught and how they are doing it to make a better judgment and figure out if it's worth trying to beat.

I've heard from a source that theyre able to scan and detect MQ2 being active client side somehow, anyone able to shed some light on this?

Is your user name here related to your user names on Project 1999? I mean, you were bragging about multi-boxing here. It's not like this forum is devoid of EQEMU developers, world builders and administrators. :p

My apologies, I had you and SekretAgent confused from another thread! Digressing back to the original matter at hand. I guess you were looking to buy platinum on the server. It's not too far fetched to have a GM from that server lurking the forums and reporting back. I just hope association with these forums doesn't mean an instant ban for everyone if their name correlates -- I created my user name here to match my EQEMU community name, because I didn't feel I should have to hide. In hind sight, I'll probably end up being part of a blanket ban by association.

Last edited:
Worst thing is, i've loaded up MQ2 about 3 times on my travel to level 50 - and i'm getting busted for this, Its just bullshit. And each time i've used it, its been to quickly check the map and thats all

Pretty weird tbh, I've been using the map, speed, targetting mobs via map and using the gate command alot and ive been pretty lucky so far so maybe it was just bad luck :S

Using /gate on an EQEMU server will end up in the hackers log like so:
Code:
| id     | account   | name    | hacked                                                                                                                                                                         | zone          | date                |
+--------+-----------+---------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------------+---------------------+
| pid    | username  | char    | /MQGate

| zone   | yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss |

Not advised anywhere.

Is it possible GMs are just watching you run directly to mobs from longer than sightable distances?

Good for them. While obviously I'm a cheater, I'm here, if the 1999 devs are able to keep MQ out of that version of EQ, it will make for a better game. Just like keeping "most" people from boxing is making it a better game.

I ended up here due to a "if you can't beat em, join em" mentality. I knew I needed to get on board when I woke up and realized 50% of the people I met in game were also using and kicking my ass.

Also seriously, you don't think that every dev on that project isn't a member here? These guys are sharp enough to copy EQ code to set an emu up, but they can't figure out OPEN source MQ code? I mean they aren't Sony.

MQ'ing over there doesn't seem to at all to fit cheating smarter.

id hope theres no banning by simply being a member here. ive gone cold turkey for ages when it comes to EQ and MQ2. i dont much see the point on an emu p1999 server. back then it was such SEQ and a little MQ alont the way

The administration at P1999 is fanatical about catching and banning hackers and they promise no second chances, meaning if they catch you the ban is forever and a day. I believe they ban your IP as well, so while there are ways around that, it does mean even starting over with a new toon is problematical.

Plus since everyone there is a volunteer, there is a bit of religious fanaticism about catching those "abusing" the game. Not to mention a goodly number of players who make it an eternal "quest" to detect and report hackers.

I would suggest playing P1999 as it was meant to be---without hacking---enjoy the original EQ classic experience with all its warts, moles and agonizingly slow levelling. I mean if you feel the need to "cheat smarter", as the masthead of this site states it, do it on Live EQ where at least we can all rationalize that the developers brought plugins like MQ upon themselves by poor game planning and design.

What's the POINT of cheating on a classic server, where the POINT is supposed to be to enjoy the game as it was back in 1999-2000, when MQ wasn't even a gleam in a hacker's eye?

I did run across this last week while browsing their boards:

project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=110280&postcount=46

I'm aware of what you are referring to, and Secrets didn't create it. Its also due to the fact that she went against my advice and implemented it in several other servers that it is no longer effective due to players simply logging in with a debugger and fixing it. It would have been very effective as a bomb, exactly how SoD used it. Now it's useless.

If all you had was the map, and you didn't run straight to a mob or do something else showing you had knowledge I don't see how they could detect you running MQ.

The client is an old version of EQ. Its static, no updates, etc. So unless they have you run something else I don't see how they can tell.

Run your own emulator if you're that nostalgic towards Verant EQ. No more idiots to worry about.

how does one even got about getting the source for this? Thought SoE was pretty anal about that? I'd be interested in getting the codes for Aion if i could haha