Army Officer Reservist Program

Doug

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if someone can clear something up for me. I have a friend who is considering joining the Officer program in the Army. However , he said he can't get guaranteed a job field go'ing straight in fulltime.

He heard/read somewhere that if he goes in as an officer in the reserves , he can get guaranteed a job he want's.

So, what he is considering do'ing is joining as a officer in the reserves, getting guaranteed a job (location doesn't matter), just wants a specific job. Then applying to go fulltime.

What he can't figure out and I don't know. I was in the Marines ;) Is how long would it take before he could request to go fulltime ? Are there any other considerations ? Like go'ing fulltime and losing out on something ?

Anyway, anyone with any iformation on stuff like this would be great !!

thanks !!

ps.. for those of you that read both, I have posted this in two locations .... only message boards I'm active on :eek:

DONT DO IT, THEY LIE TO YOU. Officers will NOT get a job they want, they are always needs of the army, and that is usually Infantry and or field artillery. Take it from me, I know plenty of officers that got screwed with this program.

After doing 8 years myself one thing I can push onto others is the knowledge of recruiters. They are there for the sole purpose of pushing numbers. They got brass breathing down their necks to get people in. Can be an extremely stressful job for them. With that being said some will say/do WHATEVER it takes to get you to sign. Once you say that oath and your processed through MEPS there is no turning back. So my advice is to have friend look deep into it. Talk to officers personally. I was enlisted so can not fully understand process on officer side, but I heard SO many horror stories on how recruiters said one thing and once the member got in it was nothing to what they were told. Tell him to remember that it IS the military he is joining and they will put you where they NEED you. SO even if you do by some chance got a it in writeing and are promised 1000x over your job will not change, guess again....Its the military...adapt and overcome will be what is told to you.
P.S. Smack the dude in face for me for even considering going officer =)

Last edited:
Dont do it man... go back to school.

I personaly dont have but one story about my step father, he was promised a job also, he was looking into the Navy also, well something about the Navy guy looked up his file and he was signed up as infantry. That being said.

There are plenty of programs that will get you into college again, If you have kids might want to look up Peachwood ( or something like that pays you to go back to school. might only be for georgia, but there are plenty more.) I was going to go sign up for the money for school and for myself to get started in life, but after talking to the guy and looked at the screen after he walked about i decided not to...

Good luck in your choice.

Guess army would be a good person to talk on the subject ;)

thanks all

yah, I was enlisted as a Marine... I'm not too familar with the officer programs for the various services.

Why I'm asking around and I trust this communities opinions =).

thanks again...

rubtub do you live in Georgia ?

I was in the navy hehe. Good choice but deciding not to go. Biggest waste of 8 yrs. Any of you considering a possible try in the Navy PM me if you got concerns or questions. I was a command career counseler during last part of tour. I know a lot on the choosing of rates and can enlighten you on some of the bullshit recruiters are pulling these days. If you think on joining any branch think Air force...Say it together now...A-I-R-F-O-R-C-E Only branch out there that takes good care of their service members and their families. Yes you get a few good commands in any branch you go in, but I have yet to hear anyone in/or been in the Airforce bitch about their stay.

Well to start.

Reserves might guarantee a certian job to him but does not mean much. As far as how long it takes to go from reserves to Active duty. His command would have to release first, and they do not have too. What job is he looking to get?

Officers dont select the MOS they are placed in. The needs of the army dictates.

As for Reserver to active. Your reserver recruiter will blow hot air up your ass untill he gets you to sign the dotted line. So if they say you can go active at any time tell him to atleast lub up before he fucks you.

Reserves/Guard do not have to release you. Also you get better school chances going Active.

I just noticed the initial post on this thread 2 weeks ago.

Edit
As davidd said, AF is the way to go, followed by Navy, Army, CG, Marines.

Depending on what you want to do really dictates. School and a job that translates to 90k + a year after you get out go AF or Navy. If you want combat arms go Army/Marines.

Hey hey, forgot all about this thread !

Friend picked Navy ....