Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodilynn

Master of Orion
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
Map Changes FAQ

- Changes have been made to the way the client is notified about other entities (players, NPCs, etc.) in the zone.

There seems to be some confusion about this change that was made on the April 17th patch and people are either failing to read it (more likely) or understand it (possible). So, in light of that, we're going to touch on it and leave it open for questions. Please read this carefully as anything you're going to ask is most likely already answered. Whether or not it's in terms you understand is another issue entirely.

Spawn Range

With the new changes, your client (you) recieves information from the server (Sony) about mobs when you are in a 600ish radius(it varies depending on who you talk to) thus in effort to reduce zone lag as only necessary data is sent as you are near that radius. As SKlug pointed out on the EQ Live boards, this was also to counteract certain hacks (please refer to our GK/ND stance on the forums as it's not open to discussion). What this breaks down to is you can no longer target mobs across the entire zone.

The only loophole we've found so far is that this distance radius only applies to the X-axis (horizontal for the directionally challenged) leaving the /zwarp (Z-axis) unabated by these changes. Take this information for what it's worth as while it does make checking PH's easier at this time I wouldn't recommend it.

What about my map!

We've had people asking if we can make some sort of plugin to fix this. Short answer is not yet, maybe never the way things are looking. The information for spawns being sent from the server is just that: serverside. We cannot force the hand of information from the server to give a zone full spawn information, so you will be limited to what's immidiately infront of you in the radius they have set.

On top of this, we have done some testing, and determined that spawn information is individually based, meaning people in your party will only see what is in their spawn range for information. We've tried having a party spread out feeding information back to the original camp and have no result.

All in all, unless Sony suddenly decides to reverse this patch (yeah right) this is how the new system is going to work. Don't hold your breath on any game breaking revolutionary plugin that will bring it back, as stated above the chances are slim to nil and right now leaning towards nil.

tl;dr for those with a short attention span:
-Map changes are permanent
-slim to nil (mostly nil) chance that a plugin will ever fix it
-Only effects x-axis, not z-axis
-Spawn information is individually based, not group

Thanks to the Devs and Wasted for helping me gather information for this post and revising it. Hopefully it clears up some confusion and answers some questions. While you are welcome to ask questions, the above is all the information readily available short of speculation based on testing.

SKlug

EQ Coder

After some internal discussion we have decided to disable the proximity detection in a patch this week (time TBA). This will allow us to try and separate what seem to be multiple different problems and figure out what is proximity related and what is not. Meanwhile, test will still be running with proximity, so that we can continue to tune that code path.

The change will amount to basically having infinite proximity. It's not reverting the code back (doing that would take far too much time, as we'd have to re-test other changes that have been made on top of the proximity changes), it's simply giving you an infinite proximity that includes everything in the zone. So you will still experience stuttering when you first zone into a zone, but this is no different than what used to happen, except it used to keep the loading screen up until all of the NPCs are transferred.

Additionally, I'm going to talk with some folks around here to see what I can do to help resolve the apparently disconnect between us and players on Test. Changes like this are nearly impossible to test with our resources in internal QA, and have to be done with a reasonably sized player base. Stay tuned and I will let you know what we'll be doing on that front.

As the other post pointed out, ahahahahahahahahahahhaahah

yea pointed hahahahahaha shouldnt make live server players be test subjects for bad coding.

Would warping still be detectable?

Still?

If you mean if a GM checks up on you and watches you bounce around the zone, yes. I never saw concrete evidence that the map change increased the risk of warping at all.

I know 1 person that was banned since the patch , and only thing he could think of was teh warpage in Guardian , so i put 2 and 2 together going by all teh rumours. Maybe i got 5 /shrug

I know very very little about how MQ2 but have noticed some odd things since the map changes.
The other day while 6 boxing in SHIP on 2 of my 6 toons had FULL map views and where able to see mobs and their movement from the zone in. I was able to target and warp to mobs from across the zone. On 4 other toons I had the regular (new) map view. On one of the toons I had gotten it killed outside of zone and rezzed just prior to zoning in. The 2 toons that had the full map view where the 5th and 6th to zone in. Other than this there wasnt anything different than normal (that I know of). Anyways, just thought I'd mention it.

BB

I know very very little about how MQ2 but have noticed some odd things since the map changes.
The other day while 6 boxing in SHIP on 2 of my 6 toons had FULL map views and where able to see mobs and their movement from the zone in. I was able to target and warp to mobs from across the zone. On 4 other toons I had the regular (new) map view. On one of the toons I had gotten it killed outside of zone and rezzed just prior to zoning in. The 2 toons that had the full map view where the 5th and 6th to zone in. Other than this there wasnt anything different than normal (that I know of). Anyways, just thought I'd mention it.

BB

Had this happen today on my bard in mecho, was nice to have the full map back :)

BB

Didn't work in our testing, but, hey why not.

i must say this really sucks. having the ability to see the entire zone was one of my main reasons to use MQ.

So while they have it reverted would be a good time to get way points stocked up IN CASE they figure stuff out and make the map new again.

map

Some tme ago there was a suggestion posted on possibly adding loc when mousing over and possibly clicking on an area on the map - So when you click on an area of the map that you would like to warp to, it will give you the loc.

Some tme ago there was a suggestion posted on possibly adding loc when mousing over and possibly clicking on an area on the map - So when you click on an area of the map that you would like to warp to, it will give you the loc.

that would be so sweet if that was possible. the map change even causes piggyzone to work differently which is a pain.

"Hotfix" (read: 6 hours) is reversing all of this tomorrow I believe (if I read the live boards right). Thus, locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.