Anyone here use Sony Authenticator?

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I use a similar thing for banking and was wondering if anyone uses it here for EQ and if so, if they're happy with it and can offer any tips?

Actually I'd prefer they just texted the authentication code to a smart phone. The first time I started banking with two-step authentication I blew $25 to buy a similar device from the bank. It came in the mail and looked like a credit card with a small liquid crystal display and a button. Press the button and a one-time code appears in the display which you have 10 minutes to enter into the banking site before you can enter your password.

Problem is they send the card in an ordinary envelope without much protection and it got kinda "bent" in the mail. The liquid display got slightly damaged and had a few "spots" that would float around. Kinda like in the old days when you'd get water under the crystal of a cheap watch. It meant sometimes I had to do things like guess between "3" and "8", and you only get 3 shots at entering the code before the bank freezes your on-line access. Thank God they switched to sending the authentication code to cell phones---probably because too many of their authenticators were malfunctioning this way.

Anyone using the EQ authenticator have mechanical problems with it? Or am I nuts to even consider relying on Sony to manage something like this? Heck, they can't even protect their email servers from North Korea... :eek:

I've been using one for awhile now never had any issues with it mechanically or on SoE's side. Only issue is the dang 6 digit code you have to enter on EVERY account EVERY time. ( and it's always different)

Yeah, personally I like Blizzards method. You enter the authenticator code once and if you are running on the same PC it doesn't ask you for it again for like a month or something. If you log in from another location it will ask for it again at any location you logged into it previously.

So unless someone steals your PC strictly to gain access to your game accounts, I think it works pretty well that way.

I don't know about EQs, but there is also a WinAuth program that you can use with blizzards authenticator so that you can have authenticators on multiple accounts easily and all in one place when you need them.

Dev, that works off the MAC ID of your network card, right? That can be spoofed if someone can determine your MAC ID.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Remember:

"Just cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't to get ya."

:rolleyes:

Dev, that works off the MAC ID of your network card, right? That can be spoofed if someone can determine your MAC ID.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Remember:

"Just cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't to get ya."

:rolleyes:
Pretty sure blizzard uses more then just the MAC ID. It uses pc hardware as well.