AFK Guide

DemonH2

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have several questions about AFK grouping. Instead on being a bum I am going to try to give back a little. I am sure I could find all the info I need scouring the forums, but instead I am going to ask you guys directly. I plan on taking the information given to me, and slowly turn this into a guide for future people. Hopefully I won't get the "use the effing search button" deal. But if i do, go take some Alli and hang upside down for awhile.

1.) These group macros you guys put together, are they run the macro and go to work AFK, or are they have to sit next to them the entire time and babysit them AFK?

B.) What classes or type of classes do you recommend?

3.) I see their are several macros for most classes on here..which are the best?

D.) I know you don't want to give away your favorite camp, but can you elude to what types of zones we should be looking for?

5.) Is it worth it to start a group from level 1 and use the macros, or would it be just too much work and be better to PL up to higher levels and then start?

F.) Any general advice or setup tips that could help?

Thanks in advanced!

I'll give you some of my feedback since I do a good bit of afk macroing myself.

Hey guys!
1.) These group macros you guys put together, are they run the macro and go to work AFK, or are they have to sit next to them the entire time and babysit them AFK?

I can't comment on other macros that I havn't used but the macros I have written are built around being completely afk from that screen. They are meant to play themselves and not need any attention leaving you free to play another character. With that said, my magebot is the only one I have a full blown solo afk mode in. But at the same time I have used my magebot, my soon to be released shamanbot, and a not so soon to be released monk bot before as a group and afk'd while I slept.

B.) What classes or type of classes do you recommend?
Well if your wanting a group setup, imo the more casters the better. Casters have to move less, so have less chance of getting stuck or some other wierd bug. But you need something to tank, and a way to pull so keep that in mind. If you are sitting in one spot though with a tank merc and a healer merc, where the mobs will come to you then an all caster afk group could work great.

3.) I see their are several macros for most classes on here..which are the best?
I can't really comment on what is best as I've only used a couple and usually write my own, and of course I prefer to use the ones I write lol :) Also I try to keep mine updated, and if there is a problem with them and someone lets me know about it I'm happy to get it fixed. I can say I have ran my magebot in solo mode for over 48 hours continously once though, never restarted the macro, never had to intervene because of a mess up hehe. Most of the time I dont run it for more than around 12 hours though, I have heard reports in the past of people getting busted for afking because there characters were logged in for so long that a gm popped in to check them out.

And a little self advertisement here... if you can't find what you are looking for to suit your specific needs, I am currently offering custom macros for payment :) I have a few lined up atm but if you or someone else wanted something just read over my post in the mmomarketplace services section and then PM me.

D.) I know you don't want to give away your favorite camp, but can you elude to what types of zones we should be looking for?
Well, I will say one spot since I no longer use it. When I was running my mage completely afk solo I did so in the back of paw. The mobs are pretty easy for level 70+, and it's not a very popular zone for people to go to. You can make a lot of money from gems that drop and quite a few parchments as well. But it's always best if your going to be completely afk to find an instance. The more spread out the mobs are the better so that you puller dosnt come back with to many mobs.

5.) Is it worth it to start a group from level 1 and use the macros, or would it be just too much work and be better to PL up to higher levels and then start?
IMO most bots just dont work all that well at the lower levels. I leveled an sk up from scratch using my skbot and I was not happy with the performance from it until the upper 40s / lower 50s. It works at lower levels just not as well as I'd like. I have not tried my magebot with a lower level mage, but a friend of mine did and it seemed to work ok in group mode. But I think you would be better off powerleveling at least into the 50s before you start trying to afk macro.

F.) Any general advice or setup tips that could help?
The hardest part is going to be finding a place to do your afking. As I said before I suggest instances above all else if you can find one that you are capable of handling. Especially if your gonna be leaving it while going to work or something like that. All my bots include support for pausing or camping if an unsafepc is detected and can also play alerts when they are detected. But the alerts are only good if you are nearby when they play.

Suggestions for good instances to afk-bot aa's at 85? Single or grouped?