46-Boxing FTW!

pullzem

Reaction score
I saw a post on my prior hardcore raiding guild's forum about a former member who took "boxing" to another level. I googled him and here's a section about his EQ boxing until he left in early 2005.

EverQuest was a great game but almost everything required a group or more to kill. I was a Wizard and my girlfriend was a Warrior. We had some friends that we often grouped with, and there was normally somebody from our guild ( CC ) looking to do something. But there were times when that just wasn't the case, so I created a cleric and began 2 Boxing. Then I started borrowing guildmate's toons and went from 2 to 6 boxing in a short period of time.

I was hooked. When my girlfriend came over, she played the warrior (which I found to be somewhat demanding in the beginning.) I normally had a Bard on my main screen (puller, crowd control, selo-invis for making group movement easy, and songs) and setup the xkeys so that pressing a single key would "press 1" on every pc, another key would "press 2", etc. The cleric would just /target my warrior and cast a Complete Heal while the 3 Wizards would /assist the warrior and make short work of mobs. The warrior was the last in the xkeys chain so the kvm screen always ended up there, making it easy to adjust the distance from the mob, use discs, etc.

It wasn't long before 6 Boxing felt very natural. A single group became easy to control but I wanted to kill mobs that required more toons. So I kept adding more boxes. 8, 13, 32, and finally 46. We went from farming Basteon of Thunder to Qvic, Txevu and finally Anguish.

In 2005 we started playing WoW. The game had a built in scripting language which made things a bit easier. We leveled a small army and twinked ourselves silly. We leveled, we quested, we PvP'd, we raided -- we "did it all."

The guild CC is Caer Cadarn, who was server-best then...over Assent, Triality and Crimson Tempest.

I have a hard time imagining how anyone could 46-box without help from botting software such as what we use.

And I also would hate the drain on my credit card each month :)

If you'd like to read more, just google Gameslah.

All I can say is Holy Christ Wagons Batman! That'd be insane...46 at once...I wonder how good his PC was then lol

in 05 with top end computer you could run 12ish max but that lagged bad just could not have enough virtual memory

if look at the site http://www.gameslah.com/ they were running multi computers. looks like they were running 1 toon per computer. but that is still alot. love the power bill for that set up

You know, I didn't even go to that page with all the pictures before...that's awesome :)

I'll bet lightning storms scared the crap out of him with all the potential loss.

With so many pc's, modems, routers, etc. how could he pull that much power without blowing circuits?

46 is insane

A chick on FV that just quit had as many as 20 that I know of. She Power-leveled the hell out of people with a bunch of Magicians outside of a group for DPS. It was almost like watching a full scale battle when she pulled in the trains with her berserker and the Magician pets rushed the train.

Crazy stuff.

holy shit that is nutz haha...wonder if they could do solteris Oo haha

10 Box

I used to 10 box on a regular basis (most ever at one time for me was 12), loved it so much - miss those days - but times are changing :)

As I was telling my wife about this and showing her the pics I got to thinking...If this guy and a couple friends were 46 boxing, then technically, him and his friends, probably not very many, were his entire guild...Yes guys and ghouls, I'm a bit slow but it doesn't matter...With just him and a couple of buddies they probably ruined the economy on that server. But I still have to say it was bloody insane. And the pics of all those PCs...Let me just say that if I had that kind of money, I'd worry more about creating my own isp let alone 46 boxing lol. With my current setup, while it's quite decent, it could stand to be better. If I were to turn down all the graphics and kill the sound, I could probably run 8 copies of EQ and get about 20 FPS. But sadly, I could only 2 box effectively as I have not the skill to run that many nor the accounts lol.

ahhh gameslah i remember him from back in the day. .. ya he was pretty sick with it.

I can run up to 15 accounts at one time on each of my three pcs but I've never had more than 24 active at a time to test if I could actually use that many without my bandwidth going through the tubes.

eqisdead

I remember Gameslash when he was just running 6 boxes sometimes he'd let me tag along and pick up loot off the BoT minis....back then CC were Vaz gods and Venthos, Britto, Minimeatz, and Epoche were probably some of the most hated players on the server.

Good times *tear* That brought back some fun memories heh.

me and my friend used to do entire raids. we did all sorts of things. each of us would run around 30 toons.
It was easy. we used genbot

I was a cleric in CC for about 2 yrs till it folded i grouped with gam and his wife on several occasions , all i can say is the 2 of them could do just about anything with the army they had.

Now, I'm gonna be trying to guess who your cleric was :)

Ditto here with my cleric until the end...

the most I ever did was 13 boxing an mpg raid trial (in por gear).

holy shit that was insane.

Anyone follow the posts over on Steel Warrior by Sam Deathlancer (something like that). He 24 boxes on Zek I think it is and swears he doesn't use MQ to do it...uses very elaborate combination's of hotkey setups and a G15 keyboard I think. Much of the community at Steel Warrior really jump in his shit constantly but they seem to believe he is, in fact, boxing that army without MQ. I can't see how that is done...I have boxed 6 without any helper apps and it is almost impossible, if anything at all goes wrongm to recover..at least for me. No way in hell I can imagine how someone can do it with 24 and no MQ. I know for a fact, with how tough that crowd is on him, that if hey even suspected he used MQ they would flame him off the boards so I tend to believe he isn't using it. Well, that and the fact that he has no raid gear on his toons...they ae pretty average geared for an army that size.

Anyone follow the posts over on Steel Warrior by Sam Deathlancer (something like that). He 24 boxes on Zek I think it is and swears he doesn't use MQ to do it...uses very elaborate combination's of hotkey setups and a G15 keyboard I think. Much of the community at Steel Warrior really jump in his shit constantly but they seem to believe he is, in fact, boxing that army without MQ. I can't see how that is done...I have boxed 6 without any helper apps and it is almost impossible, if anything at all goes wrongm to recover..at least for me. No way in hell I can imagine how someone can do it with 24 and no MQ. I know for a fact, with how tough that crowd is on him, that if hey even suspected he used MQ they would flame him off the boards so I tend to believe he isn't using it. Well, that and the fact that he has no raid gear on his toons...they ae pretty average geared for an army that size.

its pretty easy when all you have is 1 tank then rangers wizzies mages clerics an an enchanter. You can control liike 6 guys with just hitting 2 keys.

Well, it's fairly easy until the mob lands a burst of DPS and the tank goes down.

After that, rangers and wizzies and mages don't tend to last very long. Especially when there's one frantic player trying to save all their asses at once.