10th anniversary... classic server?

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Is this all masturbatory wishful thinking what I read about EQ introducing a "true" classic server as part of the 10th anniversary celebration? I know they haven't announced anything yet but I keep hearing about this on various forums and I'm wondering if there's even a SHRED of evidence that they're even thinking about it?

Some people argue the recent merger of one of the progression servers into an original server is a "divine sign": they're freeing up server space for a new "special" server! Not sure I buy this since disk space is cheap cheap and do they really need to go to all that trouble (obviously a problematical process since they had to delay it for over a month due to unspecified "troubles") to save the cost of a few hard disks and memory sticks.

Without risking the commencement of yet another endless "we want a classic server" thread I do think there'd be some excitement over such a move and it would mesh well with a 10th anniversary.... 1000s of players would check it out and a few hundred might even stick around after a week or 2.... :D

I think one of the main reasons you won't see this happen despite it's popular demand over the years is based on the simple fact that much of the original server data/files/code necessary to do it probably doesn't exist anymore.

People can remain hopeful though that maybe one day a server like this will pop up, it'd be a neat experience.

I dont understand the need for a "classic" server. If someone only wants to play classic content, then stay in classic zones.

It isn't really that easy. Even Old World zones have had a lot of changes, new mobs, LDON camps, hot-zone modifications, etc. Frankly, as much as I'd be interested in at least trying out a true classic server, I'd probably get bored quick but I do understand the craving.

I think the biggest problem with reliving 1999-2001 EQ is that short of an amnesia-inducing drug, the players can never return to the way THEY were back in those years and that's what it would really take to re-experience the original EQ game.

agreed

the players can never return to the way THEY were back in those years and that's what it would really take to re-experience the original EQ gameQUOTE]

Psychologicly that is correct. people dont realize that.

lol progression was huge success until they caught up to normal servs idk why you guys hate so much. and not many people say new classic server they want a new progression server. although it wasn't perfect it was much more fun then a regular server~

new progression server would be decent now that they have most of the kinks worked out.

I think a lot of the people not only miss the content, but mainly just the mass amounts of people that were playing and the old school bugs and shit that people would do. I remember the first time I played eq, i became an iksar and my friend irl took me to lake of ill omen. That place was packed! and the Overthere too! I remember all of that fun that I had, and that will never happen again =(.

Can't go back

You can never go back! You just forgot the pain. Its like having a baby-Or your first real kiss.You just remember the good stuff and not all the anxiety and pain that came with it. Its never the same. The only reason I am back with EQ is because it has changed.

SiegeTank said:
Some people argue the recent merger of one of the progression servers into an original server is a "divine sign"

The reason they are merging the servers is b/c they're losing players everyday to other MMOs. I recall at one point in time they had over 20 servers and now, I've not counted recently, but I don't think they even have 20 servers.

We are down to 21 live servers 1 RP server 1 PVP server

EQ used to be at 35 in like 02.

EQ Population has gone down but when you do the math we have like over 1200 zones not counting instances. Even if you had 3500 people on 300 in bazaar 200 afk between pok/guildlobby/guildhall for 3k active people. Your zone count average would be like 3 if you attempted to populate every zone.

What they SHOULD do is have all new toons start on the same server, and then after you level to a certain point, let you do a one-time free server transfer to any server you want. That would populate that "noobie server" with everyone across all servers making new toons, therefore ensuring a good supply of people to group with at low levels. It would also eliminate power-levelling and begging buffs from high levels.

Just for fun I started a new toon on a server I've never played on and levelled it to about 50 without any help from my other characters. It was fun and I've met some nice people on this server but I did most of it solo since there was almost never anyone to group with. Mercs weren't the problem so much since when I did find someone "soloing" with their own merc, they were always willing to group up. It's just that most zones below 50 were entirely empty. Even hot zones had at most 5 people and often I was alone even in them. No news here, of course, this is everybody's tale when they start a new toon, for whatever reason. But I do believe if you took 22 or whatever how many servers' worth of new toons, whether true noobs or alts, and crammed them all onto one server, you'd get some serious low-level grouping possibilities. You could cap it at 50 or even less---force people to transfer off when they hit the cap---so the server wouldn't evolve into an "ordinary" server.

lol naw screw ur terrible ideas i want a new progression server because it was fun as hell~

Any word on this? I can't find anything anywhere about the results of the poll.

If they are gonna do it, they should go back to the original UI and then you'll see how much original eq sucked ass.

I dunno, looking at the world through a square hole in the display, kinda like looking out of a prison cell door, was kinda cool! ;)

I never played it that way (windowed, they called it, LOL), back then. I played "full screen", which just meant the client view area was not inside a little bitty window inside the game itself. *sigh*

Even still, I don't think the game sucked, that is misleading IMO. Nothing really was able to compete with it then. Of course, a lot has happened in 10 years. ;)

htw

parted

i remember when the original ui was updated, you could move your windows and whatnot... it took me months to get used to it.
Looking back im not sure why, i tried running a ui that was completely like the original and was almost pulling out my hair lol.