Very touching story from AI

twizzops

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I never watch American Idol, but my wife loves it. She told me about this story and I was even more touched after I watched it.

enjoy
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elaXeN15isM&feature=aso"]YouTube - ! Chris Medina - Break Even : American Idol 10 Auditions ![/ame]

i have heard there was some controversy about this guy. apparently some people are accusing him of using his wife to be to get some sympathy points. if he really was just two months from the wedding after waiting nearly 2 years of a self imposed waiting period in my opinion it was as good as done, and he did the right thing by staying with her.

That is a good man, I hope he does well in the finals or however that works.

I dunno, these "heartstring-tugging" stories, don't they make you feel totally manipulated? This is so classic Hollywood setup. I mean I'm reasonably sure the story is fundamentally true but even all the fakery and bullshit around Idol and other "reality" shows, man, I'm always suspicious.

Also, since millions of bucks are at stake, I wouldnt put it past someone to set up a fake---or grossly exaggerated---personal situation, because it gets them past the 1000s of others competing at the same skill level. People will do literally anything for fame and success---including murder, blackmail, sexual favors, etc., we all know that, so I wouldn't put it past someone to set up a phoney personal family background tragedy just to get ahead.

Again, not saying this one is fake or exaggerated but the red warning light comes on in my head whenever they start playing that stirring music...

I dunno, these "heartstring-tugging" stories, don't they make you feel totally manipulated? This is so classic Hollywood setup. I mean I'm reasonably sure the story is fundamentally true but even all the fakery and bullshit around Idol and other "reality" shows, man, I'm always suspicious.

Also, since millions of bucks are at stake, I wouldnt put it past someone to set up a fake---or grossly exaggerated---personal situation, because it gets them past the 1000s of others competing at the same skill level. People will do literally anything for fame and success---including murder, blackmail, sexual favors, etc., we all know that, so I wouldn't put it past someone to set up a phoney personal family background tragedy just to get ahead.

Again, not saying this one is fake or exaggerated but the red warning light comes on in my head whenever they start playing that stirring music...

Agreed. It seems that every other person that goes on these shows has some kind of 'tragedy' thats heartbreaking. Im sure 80% of them really have had trauma's or lifechanging events happen to them. However, this is a show dedicated to your singing ability. Either you can sing or you cant. Dont try and win brownie points by playing with peoples emotions.

And as SiegeTank wrote, I'm generalizing. This is not specific to this video/situation.

Agreed. It seems that every other person that goes on these shows has some kind of 'tragedy' thats heartbreaking. Im sure 80% of them really have had trauma's or lifechanging events happen to them. However, this is a show dedicated to your singing ability. Either you can sing or you cant. Dont try and win brownie points by playing with peoples emotions.

And as SiegeTank wrote, I'm generalizing. This is not specific to this video/situation.

My 2 cents are the situation is this:

What part of the story is phony? The part where his fiance has brain damage for life? Because give that girl an Oscar now if she's somehow faking that, which I am 99.99% sure she's not. Is he not taking care of her needs along with her mother? I am pretty confident if he's just making that part up then someone will break the story pretty fast. With as much national attention as he's gotten, the media's going to do the digging to make sure the story's legit. Because if it's not than that's a pretty huge story for someone to break.

I feel the important parts of the story are true. His fiance has major brain damage that's the result of a major accident and he still stuck with her even though he's young. IMO most young people don't have the kind of intestinal fortitude to spend the rest of their life with someone, much less someone with major brain trauma that will require constant care with next to no chance of getting better.

Idol may be using the story to boost rating, but it doesn't make the guy any less of an amazing person. The problem isn't idol wanting to boost their rating with this story, it's that most people when put in that situation, wouldn't have done what he did. That's the issue here.

Right off the bat, man, I never said THIS story was faked. I'm just saying two things: (a) such things are often faked, and (b) Idol is exploiting THIS story for ratings as well by doing so encouraging others perhaps to really fake or exaggerate a tale of woe.

Oh, also it wouldn't BE that hard to fake. Sit me in a wheelchair and I could shake my head uncontrollably with the best of th them. Hell, I'd add uncontrolled drolling and occasionally blurting out "INCOMING MOB!" or "DUDE, HAS ANYONE SEEN MY CORPSE?" and I'd make an even more sympathetic---altho frigging annoying---case. ;)

Like the previous poster said, what does his handicapped wife have to do with his talent? Does AI give +10% points for having a tough family life? Is this affirmative action in action? Cuz IRL you don't get any credit for success in any talent-driven competition because you've suffered some hard knocks. Sorry, that's how the world operates: it truly is a jungle out there.

Bottom line, I resent the manipulation by AI. Not that I'm surprised. Simon Cowell used to be a judge, remember, and he's still pulling strings in the background, no doubt.

The real danger of something like this is you KNOW it WILL motivate unsavory people to fake a situation. I mean Munchausen-by-proxy happens a lot, where a mother makes her kid sick because she enjoys all the attention and sympathy she gets as a result. There have been cases of people faking a cancer diagnosis or a war injury to get benefits and sympathy. Sick criminal minds no doubt but they're out there.

IMO Idol should operate entirely on talent and leave personal situations totally out of it. But they don't listen to me! LOL

Last edited:
Well regardless, this story got me, hook, line and sinker! I was crying and so was every girl in my house!

I do not think this was faked, however I agree about the marriage thing now that I think about it, what is stopping them, with exception to the fact now she may not be able to legally accept vows...she is brain damaged (not sure how that works).

Either way he's a great guy for sticking it out and even if he's just still in her life in any aspect is admirable, most men (and women) would have ran for the door and tried to forget as much as possible.

You have to realize American Idol is trying to pump up as many ratings as possible to cover the cost of JLo's inflated ego ;)

On a side note, I'm really liking Steven Tyler.

A-one-and-a-two-and-a-ching-chng-potato.jpg

It's a point, not an issue. While the guy is doing what most probably would not, I can give two shits.

Last edited:
Well regardless, this story got me, hook, line and sinker! I was crying and so was every girl in my house!

I do not think this was faked, however I agree about the marriage thing now that I think about it, what is stopping them, with exception to the fact now she may not be able to legally accept vows...she is brain damaged (not sure how that works).

Either way he's a great guy for sticking it out and even if he's just still in her life in any aspect is admirable, most men (and women) would have ran for the door and tried to forget as much as possible.

You have to realize American Idol is trying to pump up as many ratings as possible to cover the cost of JLo's inflated ego ;)

On a side note, I'm really liking Steven Tyler.

My thoughts on why they haven't married is this:

In the state of Georgia my wife has an aunt that was born mentally retarded. Currently she lives in assisted living, which is provided by the state. She is also able to get employment with companies that are part of the state program that she's in to keep her busy. Of course the companies get a tax break that covers the cost of hiring the employee.

If she was to get married, according to my wife, her aunt would lose the state benefits. This would occur even if she was to marry another mentally retarded guy. She also has to live within the state, if she was to leave the state to live somewhere else, she wouldn't be able to rejoin the program. She is able to visit people outside of the state, just not "move" outside of the state.

It's possible that wherever they live, probably Illinois, has similar restrictions. Unmarried, some or all of her medical expenses would be covered and they may even have someone stop by to assist the family.

To some people marriage is how your heart feels and not what happens when you sign that paper to make it legally binding. My guess is the state benefits dry up if she gets married.

I see no relevance of that picture and this thread...:confused:

What was originally intended with the point that the guy is doing something amazing, turned into an issue of if you do not do what he does you're not such and such. You've those whom are moved by this, so they support him. You've those whom have doubts since it's on TV and it's American Idol of all shows, so they are skeptical.

Idol may be using the story to boost rating, but it doesn't make the guy any less of an amazing person. The problem isn't idol wanting to boost their rating with this story, it's that most people when put in that situation, wouldn't have done what he did. That's the issue here.

It's a problem only if people don't react the same way. It was a point, never an issue. Stating it as an issue implies a dispute and you believe his actions to be "right" and anyone else (most likely everyone that wouldn't do such a thing) wrong. You would like to elevate this man for what you have seen on a television entertainment show. If you say there is a problem, then you imply there is a solution.

The guy is on a singing show. He must sing well to progress. He has done that. Everything else is irrelevant. Personal effects are only used in showbiz for exploitative purposes.

TV Host: "Hey little Jimmy, how are you doing?"
Jimmy: "Not too good, I lost my leg by a guy with a chainsaw."
Audience: (Aww, I sure hope he wins.)

Jimmy is already a winner now, purely on emotions disregarding any aptitude the show may require. Meanwhile you've had your ratings upped and people are watching now not at all because of the game show itself, but because of little Jimmy's sad sobbing story.

It truly is an amazing technique. This is something to expect on a HBO documentary, not AI.

Last edited:
Wow! You got my interest already! Tell me Jimmy's story! Why did the guy with the chainsaw cut off Jimmy's leg? Was it the guy from SAW? Or the Chainsaw Massacre? Inquiring minds wanna know! ;)