Status of EQ

Zero0003

The One Who Sees All!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I havent played in over a year and was thinking of coming back. If I still remember right i'm still 94 on all 12 of my toons but I know a lot has changed. With EQ play for free and mq2 somewhat disabled of no warp/zone or real hacks

Is it worth coming back?

I didnt use warp and zone a lot but when it was needed.

Hows the mid/high end guilds been? Are they having enough dedicated people to keep the raids going?

Most of you have been around for years and have a good idea of what to expect from this game. I logged in and didn't see anyone from any old guilds on or even asked around they havent played in a long time either.

Did EQ just die?

Anyways any replies would be great.

Well if your 94 on all your toons then your current up to the latest content so you havent missed much bro.

I cant say EQ is dead since I still play nine accounts and still have fun playing and raiding.

I do miss /warp and /zone but honestly those were just "nice to haves" it made some tricky situations super easy with /warp and /zone made moving around alot faster but as long as MQ2 still has the capability to run my crew within their normal scope of play Im fine with it. That is the only reason I started with MQ2 in the first place, to have a way to play all my toons to their full potential.

So bottom line, I think if you were having fun in game before you left, the small changes in EQ and MQ2 that have happened since you left arent going to take the fun away.

Hey Guys,

I havent played in over a year and was thinking of coming back. If I still remember right i'm still 94 on all 12 of my toons but I know a lot has changed. With EQ play for free and mq2 somewhat disabled of no warp/zone or real hacks

Is it worth coming back?

I didnt use warp and zone a lot but when it was needed.

Hows the mid/high end guilds been? Are they having enough dedicated people to keep the raids going?

Most of you have been around for years and have a good idea of what to expect from this game. I logged in and didn't see anyone from any old guilds on or even asked around they havent played in a long time either.

Did EQ just die?

Anyways any replies would be great.

True EPIC games never die. Ultimate Online still going, compared to city of heroes or other games shut down in the last few months.

EQ has so much content... to me that's going to be the key to its survival. When I get tired of XPing or pharming, I just explore. When I'm too beat to six-box, I just log in one toon, or maybe two, call up a merc or 2 if needed, and explore; maybe pharm something ez. Do a quest I always wanted to do. Just roam old zones I haven't seen in ages. Remember/relive/appreciate the old days.

Help someone... sounds so frigging goody-two-shoes, but I get a lot of enjoyment helping some low-level with a quest or provide a free PL session, especially if they're a returnee or (happens but not very often) a true noobie. Cost me nothing but a little time and if they're usually very appreciative, sometimes almost too much so.

It's funny how in some ways EQ is so ancient now that it's kinda breaking into its "second generation" of players... returnees who haven't played in years, their friends/children and also brand-new players who have had no contact with the early days of EQ.

I will say this... the AMOUNT of content is truly mind-boggling and I do fear it could be off-putting to new players. In a way it's a good thing that a lot of it is effectively "hidden." You don't find out about a lot of it until you've played long enough to master the basics and be somewhat ready for something more challenging.

the wheel didnt get re invented or anything like that in 1 yr

if u were 94 when u left or u got to 94 asap u should be fine

/target mob , kill mob , loot

kinda like riding a bike...........

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hows the status on raiding guilds?

The raiding scene in EQ is honestly going down hill. There are maybe 15 (20 or so max?) raiding guilds in the game worth discussing. That isnt a lot.

Also, the raiding content itself is copy/paste bullshit from group instances. Or in some cases, just beefed up group instances. The devs have ran out of ideas regarding the raiding game and all originality is out the window these days.

VoA is the worse raiding expansion in years with raids taking entirely too long (1-2 hours+) and meanwhile, other raids like Windsong, CoB and Sep5 being ridden with bugs that wont ever be fixed. VoA was a piss poor raiding expansion no matter which way you slice it and IMO its only going to get worse if VoA was any indication of how shit will be done in the future.

Ive never seen an expansion where raiders dread raiding as bad as VoA. Ive heard many stories where raiders dropped down to the group game and went casual due to the raids in VoA and how unpleasant they are. The devs made a lot of the raids in VoA like a guild would only do them once and never go back. It was like they didnt have the foresight to understand that guilds would be stuck farming a lot of these garbage raids for several+ months.

tldr; The raiding game in EQ is going down the shitter

Last edited:

The raiding scene in EQ is honestly going down hill. There are maybe 15 (20 or so max?) raiding guilds in the game worth discussing. That isnt a lot.
http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/
39 guilds have beaten at least the first t4 raid, 18 have beaten the game. I really hope your definition of "guilds worth discussing" is a little more broad than a guild that's beaten the game.

Also, the raiding content itself is copy/paste bullshit from group instances. Or in some cases, just beefed up group instances. The devs have ran out of ideas regarding the raiding game and all originality is out the window these days.
Actually dev's have said it was the opposite. Raids were written first and then copied over to the group content because they wanted the casual player to have a chance to experience the full lore of the game, rather than only the top 5% seeing the full story first hand. Other expansions for example, unless you raided, and beat the expansion, you never got the full story of what was happening, or how it was concluded. How many guilds never actually beat Plane of Time until it was trivial a year later? What good is having a story line if you have to wait 2 expansions before you can experience it first hand? How pissed would you be if you went out and bought a copy of Baldur's gate, and the last level where the story was climaxing was too difficult and you had to buy the expansion that gave you new gear and an increased level cap before you could go back and beat the first part of the game. I'd be pretty pissed myself. Yea, I could go online and read all the dialogues and such on Allakhazam's website, but why did I bother buying the game in the first place? Why buy any games? Just go on GameFAQ.com and read the walkthroughs on there!

VoA is the worse raiding expansion in years with raids taking entirely too long (1-2 hours+) and meanwhile, other raids like Windsong, CoB and Sep5 being ridden with bugs that wont ever be fixed. VoA was a piss poor raiding expansion no matter which way you slice it and IMO its only going to get worse if VoA was any indication of how shit will be done in the future.
Think your numbers are a bit off there.
Argath - Honestly, it's been awhile, I don't remember how long it took.
Sarith - 30-45 minutes
Valley - 30-45 minutes
Beast's Domain - 45 minutes... including gathering and buffing time, 30 minutes max if it's your first raid of the night and you've already buffed in GGH
Resp. Temple - 45 minutes, max, should be closer to 30 (Not counting wipes)
Rubak - 30-45 minutes.
CoB - 45 minutes
Pillars - 45 minutes
Windsong - 30 minutes
Sep 1 - 20 minutes
Sep 2 - 20 minutes
Sep 3 - 20-30 minutes
Sep 4 - 20-30 minutes
Sep 5 - I'll give you an hour to 2 hours here

Lets compare to Anguish. Anguish clearings typically took a full night, and then OLMM was done on a second night. So you've got KtH, Jelvan, Ture, Hanvar, AMG on one night, then OLMM on day 2. 5 bosses one night, 1 boss day 2. My guild runs Sep 1-4 in a single night, then sep 5 on day 2, followed by some easy raid like BD. Sounds about the same to me.

While I haven't personally run Sep 5, the only time I actually got a bug up until that point was in CoB when the emotes failed to fire for a couple minutes. Yea, that was problematic, but our guild didn't have any issues dealing with it.

Ive never seen an expansion where raiders dread raiding as bad as VoA. Ive heard many stories where raiders dropped down to the group game and went casual due to the raids in VoA and how unpleasant they are. The devs made a lot of the raids in VoA like a guild would only do them once and never go back. It was like they didnt have the foresight to understand that guilds would be stuck farming a lot of these garbage raids for several+ months.
I saw worse reactions to GoD raids to be perfectly honest, Uqua anyone?

The biggest problem EQ has is the fact that most of the truly hardcore raiders have quit and moved on to other games, or onto real life. The end game hardcore guilds are taking casual players with casual mind-set people into their ranks, and these casuals are unwilling or are unable to play at the level consistent with past expansions. Personally, I've raided VoA since around April and have done every raid it has to offer, except Sep 5. I could count the number of emotes I've missed in that entire time on a single hand, both as a tank class and a caster class. I've played in a top 10 guild at the peak of EQ's life, I've gone to casual guilds because I didn't have the time to commit, and I'm in a top guild now. While I can't speak for other guilds personally, I notice way too many casuals and way too many missed emotes in easy raids like RT. 5 years ago, the top players wouldn't be missing emotes, at all. They might miss one emote, and after they get their res, they'll probably apologize in guild chat saying they missed the emote because their was a nuclear holocaust going on outside and they had to afk for a little bit to move their laptop into the bomb shelter.

Especially with Audio triggers, the events are not that freaking complicated. It tells you on the damned screen in bright ass letters to DO SOMETHING. I didn't even start using audio triggers until T4 raids! If people are unable to follow that they either need to 1) Fix their UI so they can see them easier, 2) get much better audio triggers, or 3) Pay attention!

Regardless of what you're saying about the raids, personally, I enjoy them quite a bit. The only raid I "dread" doing is Pillars.

"raids taking entirely too long (1-2hrs)"... this boggles my mind! Hell, I can remember raids where it tlook 1-2 hours just to prep for the raid, then more hours to clear TO the raid bosses and then at least an hour to kill the boss!

Vex Thal, anyone remember that zone? Great loot for its time but a real test of endurance, especially if you worked for a living. One of my jobs as a guild officer was to keep an eye out for players who were obviously afk or had fallen asleep during the raid. LOL

I think the relative answer to this orig question is exactly what you plan to do or get out of returning to the game. and what your expectations are.

http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/
39 guilds have beaten at least the first t4 raid, 18 have beaten the game. I really hope your definition of "guilds worth discussing" is a little more broad than a guild that's beaten the game.

Actually dev's have said it was the opposite. Raids were written first and then copied over to the group content because they wanted the casual player to have a chance to experience the full lore of the game, rather than only the top 5% seeing the full story first hand. Other expansions for example, unless you raided, and beat the expansion, you never got the full story of what was happening, or how it was concluded. How many guilds never actually beat Plane of Time until it was trivial a year later? What good is having a story line if you have to wait 2 expansions before you can experience it first hand? How pissed would you be if you went out and bought a copy of Baldur's gate, and the last level where the story was climaxing was too difficult and you had to buy the expansion that gave you new gear and an increased level cap before you could go back and beat the first part of the game. I'd be pretty pissed myself. Yea, I could go online and read all the dialogues and such on Allakhazam's website, but why did I bother buying the game in the first place? Why buy any games? Just go on GameFAQ.com and read the walkthroughs on there!

Think your numbers are a bit off there.
Argath - Honestly, it's been awhile, I don't remember how long it took.
Sarith - 30-45 minutes
Valley - 30-45 minutes
Beast's Domain - 45 minutes... including gathering and buffing time, 30 minutes max if it's your first raid of the night and you've already buffed in GGH
Resp. Temple - 45 minutes, max, should be closer to 30 (Not counting wipes)
Rubak - 30-45 minutes.
CoB - 45 minutes
Pillars - 45 minutes
Windsong - 30 minutes
Sep 1 - 20 minutes
Sep 2 - 20 minutes
Sep 3 - 20-30 minutes
Sep 4 - 20-30 minutes
Sep 5 - I'll give you an hour to 2 hours here

Lets compare to Anguish. Anguish clearings typically took a full night, and then OLMM was done on a second night. So you've got KtH, Jelvan, Ture, Hanvar, AMG on one night, then OLMM on day 2. 5 bosses one night, 1 boss day 2. My guild runs Sep 1-4 in a single night, then sep 5 on day 2, followed by some easy raid like BD. Sounds about the same to me.

While I haven't personally run Sep 5, the only time I actually got a bug up until that point was in CoB when the emotes failed to fire for a couple minutes. Yea, that was problematic, but our guild didn't have any issues dealing with it.

I saw worse reactions to GoD raids to be perfectly honest, Uqua anyone?

The biggest problem EQ has is the fact that most of the truly hardcore raiders have quit and moved on to other games, or onto real life. The end game hardcore guilds are taking casual players with casual mind-set people into their ranks, and these casuals are unwilling or are unable to play at the level consistent with past expansions. Personally, I've raided VoA since around April and have done every raid it has to offer, except Sep 5. I could count the number of emotes I've missed in that entire time on a single hand, both as a tank class and a caster class. I've played in a top 10 guild at the peak of EQ's life, I've gone to casual guilds because I didn't have the time to commit, and I'm in a top guild now. While I can't speak for other guilds personally, I notice way too many casuals and way too many missed emotes in easy raids like RT. 5 years ago, the top players wouldn't be missing emotes, at all. They might miss one emote, and after they get their res, they'll probably apologize in guild chat saying they missed the emote because their was a nuclear holocaust going on outside and they had to afk for a little bit to move their laptop into the bomb shelter.

Especially with Audio triggers, the events are not that freaking complicated. It tells you on the damned screen in bright ass letters to DO SOMETHING. I didn't even start using audio triggers until T4 raids! If people are unable to follow that they either need to 1) Fix their UI so they can see them easier, 2) get much better audio triggers, or 3) Pay attention!

Regardless of what you're saying about the raids, personally, I enjoy them quite a bit. The only raid I "dread" doing is Pillars.

Sep3 taking 20-30 mins? lol no, but god do I wish it would take that long. That raid is an hour easy for my guild and several guilds I know and talk to. COB takes an hour+ too if you chain leash the two side bosses instead of DPSing them. Again, depends on your guild and how you do these raids, but these raids do take entirely too long. The times you put on those raids are if you do them the intended way and we all know every guild out there doesnt have the same roster make ups etc and they have to compensate anyway they can to win.

And im glad someone enjoys them....

Ive never seen an expansion where raiders dread raiding as bad as VoA.

No offense to copperhead, but he is obviously not from the old school EQ scene, much less the old EQ raid scene. Maybe his entire basis is based on the 1, maybe 2 expansions prior?

Raids taking 1-2 hours to clear sounds like a reason to get back IN TO eq to me, not a reason to be discouraged. I'm not saying EQ is a streamlined fast paced game by any means, it takes a certain fortitude to be up for the challenge of MMO"s in general, much less EQ. But considering the subject at hand, and the genre in general, his stated thesis seems to be suspect.

I agree with the previous poster saying it took that long to prep back in the day, and that was a good day. I think this is the first time I've ever heard a post complaining about how quickly ones guild was clearing the top tier raid content, instead of bragging about it. That being said I have heard a general not so positive response about VOA. I was a hard core raider form Kunark - DoDH and teetered off in the expansion after that (forget the name).

After that I took an X year break I came back with my previous raid toons as a solo boxer. This was at the tail end of SoD, which I really liked as a boxer in group content. I started SoD with OOw/DoDH gear and completed it from start to finish. I completely skipped underfoot, HoT was more annoying but doable, and when faced with many features of VoA I did not find appealing (language tied to AA? Wtf?), I just stopped and lingered in HoT until the expansion after VoA comes out planning to skip it like I did underfoot.

That being said, I have no experience dealing with VoA raid content. But the factual analysis from copperhead of why VoA sucks, seems more opinionated and less factually based. It's like listening to a Fox News summary of the Obama administration. I.E. the economy sucks! Period. End of report, without any explanation of the depth and complexities of why it has reached the current status, which might let you draw a rational conclusion.

since u decided to detract :)

the economy sucks!

without any explanation of the depth and complexities of why it has reached the current status, which might let you draw a rational conclusion.

just have to look at any independant reporting agency on unemployment (can break it down by race and gender, geographic location, median income, home values, deficit, gas prices, people at poverty lvl, people needing food stamps and if you were curiuos about the current administration (hopefully coming to an end), then see how it has improved since it started to today

Happy sweet sixteeen!!!!!................ Trillion deficit today

In any case regarding your own views on current raiding (dont think they asked about dodh) and as far as you skipping expansions and then sounding off well makes it hard to take your points on that seriously either.

my fast 2 cents on the raiding status: fucking awesome set up , raid currency and chests bloated w loot that is all.

I've been raiding since tail end of Kunark up to UF. Skipped HoTT. Started back up about 3-4 months ago. I main is a monk and as a class we've been slipping further down the needed class list to near the bottom.

I'm also in a guild that's struggling to overcome the T3 events so I can't comment on the T4 raids.

Of the VoA raid content I have done and from what I've heard of the T4 events I can say I hate the "Simon Says" aspect of the new raids.

Old content you had 10,20, or 30 minutes of trash clearing followed by the boss fight. Boss fights in where generally about facing boss away from the raid because of AoE, Dealing with adds, with some limited set of emotes you had to deal with as a raid. If you missed an emote you died but generally didn't take the raid force with you.

New content you have to pass books between folks ? Jump out windows? Rub your belly while patting your head while doing a somersault over a mushroom patch and if you miss an emote raid fails.

I will 2nd Dealings post about raid loot. Raid cash on wins is good. Good mix of visible vs class specific stuff. Lots of weapons dropping.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for the replies. I don't want this to get into a pissing match on how long it takes such and such guild to do it faster then others. Not the point of it.

I'm more concerned is it worth coming back and start raiding again where there is dedicated people that are still raiding and you dont have low numbers every raid struggling to get raid done or beating your head against it for a month.

I've been in top end guilds so I know the feel for it but the raiding scene for the sounds of it is not as exciting as it once was.

If I come back, I'm hoping to get in a guild that wont mind helping to get gear and flag up to be part of the team but I dont want to sit around looking and begging guilds to let me in.

But anyways I might give it a shot and see how it goes.

Dear lord I remember raids taking 6-8 hours or more back in the day. 1-2 is a blessing compared to what it used to be.

Thanks Guys for the replies. I don't want this to get into a pissing match on how long it takes such and such guild to do it faster then others. Not the point of it.

I'm more concerned is it worth coming back and start raiding again where there is dedicated people that are still raiding and you dont have low numbers every raid struggling to get raid done or beating your head against it for a month.

I've been in top end guilds so I know the feel for it but the raiding scene for the sounds of it is not as exciting as it once was.

If I come back, I'm hoping to get in a guild that wont mind helping to get gear and flag up to be part of the team but I dont want to sit around looking and begging guilds to let me in.

But anyways I might give it a shot and see how it goes.

As long as you're not a knight type class, you should be okay. I think pretty much all servers are bursting at the seams with SK's and Mages. Personally, I still have a blast raiding, and the loot is far more reasonable than it used to be with the raid currency. You're guaranteed a piece of gear every 2.5 raids, not to mention what you get as drops. Depending on where the guild is in progression, you could get completely geared in under a month to around 3 months if they're still in t3

You've heard various opinions about the raid scene, IMO, try it for yourself and see if ya like it. There are definitely some raids out there that make you want to scream bloody murder, but I'm pretty sure every expansion had that. It doesn't even take that long to get Alaran up if you work at it. I too my mage from 0 to 91 in about a week of hardcore hammering at it. 70 is all you need for awhile, and that can be done in an afternoon. If you get t3/t4 visibles, then you will need higher, but the only raid you really need 90+ alaran for is Sep 5 for the emotes.

I think most guilds are still looking for hard core folks. I'd pick a class I really liked and look into which high end guilds having openings that fit your raid times.

Tell them your story up front and see if they'll take you.

Dear lord I remember raids taking 6-8 hours or more back in the day. 1-2 is a blessing compared to what it used to be.

I know we didn't wanna get into it, but remember plane of time? Freaking 2 hour time limit per phase, and we often times had problems of not being able to do It in the time limit? Geeze, that was like 1-2 phases per night, time used to be 3 days at 5 hours a day... With very little trash clearing!

"raids taking entirely too long (1-2hrs)"... this boggles my mind! Hell, I can remember raids where it tlook 1-2 hours just to prep for the raid, then more hours to clear TO the raid bosses and then at least an hour to kill the boss!

Vex Thal, anyone remember that zone? Great loot for its time but a real test of endurance, especially if you worked for a living. One of my jobs as a guild officer was to keep an eye out for players who were obviously afk or had fallen asleep during the raid. LOL

Oh that's to funny.

I can remember raiding for 5-7 hours a night 6 days a week years ago and still not finishing the crawl and having to come back another night.

I have not raided at all since Dreadspire Keep (I think that's what it was called) so if the expansions since then are only 2 hour raids I would love to get into that.

Might have to look up a raiding guild again if 2 hours is the general raiding time these days. Cause 5-7 hours a night sucked for maybe 10 raid loots.