SHOULD I BUY THIS GRAPHICS CARD

Noah3

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
someone is going to sell me this for $120 still in box wrapped PNY VCGGTX650XPB GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card
right now im using this

XFX ONE R-Series Radeon HD 5450 ON-XFX1-PLS2 Video Card - 1GB DDR3, PCI-Express (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Low Profile, Heatsink

the only graphic intense(if you can call it that) i do with this pc is play eq and watch youtube videos.. but one day i may want to do more, however one day may be a day where something better is cheaper..

i have the money to spend , but not to waste. what would you guys do?

Here is a link to the video card on amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-GeForce-PCI-Express-VCGGTX650XPB/dp/B009T0FDR2"]Amazon.com: PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 2DVI Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card VCGGTX650XPB: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sMbvxATbL.@@AMEPARAM@@41sMbvxATbL[/ame]

So your friend is passing along a new in the box $125 graphics card to you for $125 with free shipping!!

The video card is a lot better than what you are currently using.

This is some good reading if your interested. They like AMD for low end and GeForce line from about $190+.

Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: February 2014

No, is the short answer.

See this.

Get the new 750 Ti for $30 more (may be around $120 if you can get a good deal on it).

If you plan on playing any newer games, you need to think about the $300-350 price range cards, but it all depends on what resolution you plan on playing anything really.

EDIT: From personal experience, I bought the 8600 GTS which was around this price range when it came out. I used it for about 1 month and hated it (playing EQ at 1400x900 on it). It even sucked in EQ with 4-5 accounts loaded, but these cards have alot more VRAM nowadays, so should be easily able to handle 4-5 sessions.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the video card on amazon Amazon.com: PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 2DVI Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card VCGGTX650XPB: Computers & Accessories

So your friend is passing along a new in the box $125 graphics card to you for $125 with free shipping!!

The video card is a lot better than what you are currently using.

This is some good reading if your interested. They like AMD for low end and GeForce line from about $190+.

Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: February 2014
yes, he got it on new egg but what he meant to order was the 650tl and they are telling him its a $40 restocking fee so he is asking if i want to buy it instead.
im gonna read this right now. thank you very much for the input

No, is the short answer.

See this.

Get the new 750 Ti for $30 more (may be around $120 if you can get a good deal on it).

If you plan on playing any newer games, you need to think about the $300-350 price range cards, but it all depends on what resolution you plan on playing anything really.

EDIT: From personal experience, I bought the 8600 GTS which was around this price range when it came out. I used it for about 1 month and hated it (playing EQ at 1400x900 on it). It even sucked in EQ with 4-5 accounts loaded, but these cards have alot more VRAM nowadays, so should be easily able to handle 4-5 sessions.

some of these new games look amazing, i honestly have no idea where i will go with my pc in the next year or so , but that other card for only a few bucks more seems like a decent upgrade,
thank you for the input and assistance.

With the new video cards coming out, the price of this card will keep going down. In 6 months it'll be $80 or less. Aspire2008 has the right idea.

$150 for the GTX 750ti is a good deal for budget gaming. And the power requirements aren't killer either.

If you dont box and dont play anything else, then disregard what follows.

If you do box, video card is probably your biggest bottleneck. It can be the difference between boxing 3 toons and 12 toons. Food for thought. Which plays into the bigger picture:
I am on a laptop boxing 12 instances, but if you are using a desktop, you could build the same specs from scratch for under 1k. 16-32gigs of ram, hybrid drive for $100, and a quadcore/hyperthread cpu w/ a higher tier vid card. I use 780M and it was certainly worth the extra money. i think the desktop equivalent is half the price of the mobile version. its silly =x

Personally I think you should offer to take the GFX card for $85.

At that price its pretty good :)

No, is the short answer.

See this.

I'm able to play EQN Landmark, GW2, ESO, Wildstar, All on the highest settings with an ATI 7850 ($170) card all at 1920x1080 without any noticeable lag.

You don't need to spend $350 but you might as well. A little trick that most don't know. If you have a microcenter near you buy from them get the replacement plan for whatever card you buy (it cost $50). A year from now return that card make up whatever you want) Now you can get any Video card in the store of equal value for what you paid a year ago. Why a year ? Because newer models are out and you're basically upgrading your video card for $50 every year.

So if you pay $300 for a card today a year from now when the better version is out for $300 you get it for $50(the cost of a new replacement plan).

Fuck PNY, EVGA, XFX, ASUS, Sparkle......and just about everyone except MSI...I swear by MSI, regardless of Nvidia or ATI based chipsets....ask around...NEVER had any issues with any of my GTX Cards, overclocked and Best stock quiet cooling for all of their cards...No...i get no kickbacks for this MSI Plug...

I also swear by MSI. Their products are always solid and reliable.

It all depends on how many you are planning on boxing. I could easily box 4 or 5 on an older box with a MSI 8800GT with 8 Gb of shitty proprietary ram, a standard HD, the E8400 wolfdale chip and a 1/2 way decent PSU >300 Watts or so.

I just upgraded it to a MSI GTX460 and gonna put the ol' Q6600 in it in a few days, when Fauxshizzle brings it back home! It will be the same number of toons, just run a tad bit smoother. You could probably do 7 or 8 toons with the GPU in question.

The 40$ restocking fee sounds weird btw, I have done a LOT of business with them and I dont recall ever having to pay a restocking fee. I suppose it is situational and depends on the specifics.

I used to buy AMD cards cause they are alot cheaper, but never going down that route again. Had to many driver issues, I'll just pay the extra $$ for a NVIDIA in the same tier. I've never had issues in games since going NVIDIA. AMD was just to frustrating for me in the past with their drivers. Although, if you do any virtual currency farming, AMD is the way to go.

I used to buy AMD cards cause they are alot cheaper, but never going down that route again. Had to many driver issues, I'll just pay the extra $$ for a NVIDIA in the same tier. I've never had issues in games since going NVIDIA. AMD was just to frustrating for me in the past with their drivers. Although, if you do any virtual currency farming, AMD is the way to go.

I dont buy Nvidia because they run too hot and loud.

THANKS EVERYONE

i took all advice into consideration, i thank you all. i ended up going big and getting something thats going to be overkill for my gaming style..
i went with the
evga geforce gtx 760.. i havent took it to my limit yet , but im sure its more than enough probably even sufficient for the next couple years for anything ill use it for

thank you again everyone

Huh?

AMD bought ATI...and for years has integrated ATI GPU technology into their CPU's and also makes ATI GPU chipsets for most all the Vendors that make Nvidia GPU based cards.....

Nvidia makes the chipset......were talking about the diff between each manufacturer of Video cards that use this brand of GPU....each Vendor, makes a varied range of different cards, .....some have 2, 3, or NO fans depending on the vendor/quality, and heat output of the chipset.

My MSI GTX460 TwinFrozer OC makes 0 noise....nor does it run hot...Im not sure you understand what were discussing.

Even if you prefer ATI GPU's, you can get a MSI Video Card with the same quality manufacturing of components as the Nvidia based cards......A GPU......is a chip....it does not make sound......or necessarily run hot.....

Sounds like you just have some shitty case fans.

When it comes to manufacturers, I look for a double lifetime warranty first. That way you can resell it to someone else and they inherent the warranty. If your card is running hot, its probably because of what fauxshizle said, or the manufacturer just sucks. Zotac is notarious for shitty cards imo that run hot, I stay clear of them. Another thing to look at is if they have a trade in policy to upgrade if another one comes out within 6 months thats better in the same tier, EVGA does this, but mostly for their high end gpus, helps with buyers remorse, but its unlikely another in the same tier comes out within 6 months too.

Last edited:

Huh?

AMD bought ATI...and for years has integrated ATI GPU technology into their CPU's and also makes ATI GPU chipsets for most all the Vendors that make Nvidia GPU based cards.....

Nvidia makes the chipset......were talking about the diff between each manufacturer of Video cards that use this brand of GPU....each Vendor, makes a varied range of different cards, .....some have 2, 3, or NO fans depending on the vendor/quality, and heat output of the chipset.

My MSI GTX460 TwinFrozer OC makes 0 noise....nor does it run hot...Im not sure you understand what were discussing.

Even if you prefer ATI GPU's, you can get a MSI Video Card with the same quality manufacturing of components as the Nvidia based cards......A GPU......is a chip....it does not make sound......or necessarily run hot.....

Sounds like you just have some shitty case fans.

My comment had nothing to do with the manufacturer. It was a simple statement in my experience the Nvidia ones ran hotter and louder.

His point was that Nvidia doesn't make cards beyond the reference cards. You have likely bought cards from manufacturers that make shitty cooling options for their cards. Some manufacturers have excellent, and quiet cooling options for their cards, regardless of the chipset.

I use Asus cards in two machines and they tend to run a bit hot. I have an MSI in another machine that runs very cool. It doesn't matter what chipsets they are though, AMD vs Nvidia.

Pretty sure that was the point. Nvidia cards are not inherently hotter or louder. Some card manufacturers are.

When it comes to manufacturers, I look for a double lifetime warranty first. That way you can resell it to someone else and they inherent the warranty. If your card is running hot, its probably because of what fauxshizle said, or the manufacturer just sucks. Zotac is notarious for shitty cards imo that run hot, I stay clear of them. Another thing to look at is if they have a trade in policy to upgrade if another one comes out within 6 months thats better in the same tier, EVGA does this, but mostly for their high end gpus, helps with buyers remorse, but its unlikely another in the same tier comes out within 6 months too.

Those are good things to select a card on, Id try the resale value and SLI expand-ability on ebay as well, looking a previous chipset/manufacturer examples. Also , read the customer/reader reviews on sites like Newegg and TomsHardware, not to mention their own testing and reviews, and on Newegg specifically, the responses from individual company's when customers rage on issues with the product.

For example, at Nvision08 in california I talked to 2 EVGA Top sales reps about an issue with dying GPU fans on a couple of EVGA High end cards I ownd. After a friendly exchange, they admitted that overall, they had shitty fans on many cards, and suggested i call an number to get mine replaced...an un-published number.

Also during that time, I was pissed at ASUS because after painstakign calling and Forum searching, I learned that my particular ASUS board had a defect, and that defect was lied about , even on the box. "Supports 4GB of DDR2" and so the sticker said on the box. This was NOT a 32bit vs 64bit OS issue...the board itself had a Snoop hole, that would NOT EVER give you more than 3.21 GB of RAM. Even the ONE SINGLE ASUS REP IN THE USA, yes i mean they have ONLY ONE GUY in California to bounce RMA requests, confirmed this issue, and offered no apology or replacement. ASUS forum searches turned up many betrayed customers as well. After that...my ASUS days were over. Knowing they essentially have no one in the US, everything for ASUS is limited to English speaking Chinese support on the forums.

Experience like this...can let you by-pass hurdles you wont need to jump by selecting the proper hardware manufacturer.

Also to consider, if you are going to go Nvidia now, consider any card that has G-SYNC capability, future monitors will be Gsync compliant.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzRHVXaaV0"]NVIDIA G-Sync Compared to V-Sync on/off - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: