Secret Question question!

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
IS there any way to "recover" from not having the answer to a Secret Question on an account?

I got this account MANY years ago from a friend of a friend and there is no realistic way to get the answer from the original source. I doubt he'd even remember, it's been that long. But it's been only MY cc paying for the account now for close to a decade.

The email address could never be verified because you need the SA to do that step. I do remember finally being able to change the password a couple of years ago during that big hacking scandal at Sony when, I think, they didn't require SA's to do the password change due to their fear about potential liability for millions of hacked accounts. But that was a one-time deal as I can't change the PW since.

It's not a particularly valuable account but the more time and effort I put into it, the more valuable it gets (to the extent any account has any value in these days!) Since accounts can be rebuilt relatively easily these days, especially with Heroics available, I might even gamble on taking the bull by the horns and just contacting CS with a sob story. If this causes the account to get banned, I'd just make a new toon of the same class. Would take awhile but peace of mind never comes free, eh!?

I guess if I want to be really paranoid I'd worry about this opening the door to concerns about my other accounts, linked by common email and cc info? In which case I might be better off leaving well enough alone. Or sleeping dogs lie... whatever!

But I'd be curious if anyone else has had luck in this area and what kind of sob story they've used.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Can always call them for help changing your password. Tell them you haven't actually changed it in a long time, and you've forgotten the answer to the secret question. They may then ask you questions you don't have the answer to, so be sure to offer alternatives.. IE the CC you've been using for the last 10 years.

i had this problem on one of my accounts, it was my first account and i was being jazzy with the SQ and not really caring to remember it. I called CS and they would do nothing. i was on the phone with the guy for almost 40 mins i think, reassuring him I was the one and only owner of this account, and i was just being foolish when i made the answer. finally at the very end he started giving me hints. thats all it took I remembered it while i was on the phone and got what i needed done.

this was by chance i believe, so depends on who you get , and it took forever and a whole lot of alternative proof, to get him to start bending a little.

Also my answer was seriously ridiculous, I think he realised that all the hints in the world would not help anyone out except the person that actually made the account.

good luck to you hope they will help

Last edited:
I had one account in that case, if by any chance mention "it was not mine, from a friend" or "im not the owner but..." your done, however if you talk into it that you dont remember the answer and prove owner (i did it by email, takes longer between their delayed responses) in the end they did reset my secret question.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Fore-armed is fore-warned, or whatever!