Router.... I need a new one, any suggestions?

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Most routers on Amazon, at least the popular ones, have tons of reviews and far too many 1-star reviews for my peace of mind. I realize a lot of those reviews are from people who should be blaming themselves or their ISP for poor performance issues, especially wireless. But it's still hard to feel comfortable with a device that out of 500 reviews has 125 1-star reviews, even IF it ends up with a 3.5-4 average.

Suggestions? I'm looking for something reasonably configurable, not necessarily point-and-shoot but I also don't want to spend two weeks learning and configuring it. That leaves out Cisco! :eek: Yeah, maybe that's wanting to have my cake and eat it too, but you get my drift.

Here are some "requirements" which I have found missing in some of the routers I've checked out so far:

1. An actual manual, either coming on paper with the router (unlikely, I realize), on CD or easily downloaded from the Internet.

2. Evidence that the manufacturer offers updates for the firmware, at least a reasonable time after a router vulnerability is announced

3. Some minimum configuration options, which not all routers have, incredibly, such as:

a. push-button reset of dynamic IP address

b. somewhat in-depth firewall configuration (it's nice to be able to actually pick and choose ports to close/stealth rather than just pick "High", "Medium", or "Low" firewall settings)

c. Nice to be able to change the username from "admin." This is lacking, amazingly, in a lot of routers

d. I'd be impressed by INTELLIGENT and CONSERVATIVE default settings such as disabling wireless, disabling WPS, disabling remote management, etc., i.e. requiring "risky" settings to be actively enabled by the user, something not even Microsoft usually does with its O/S

e. Coherent intelligent customer support, preferably not based in the Third World

f. more stuff like the above.

I realize I won't be able to "have it all" but is anybody really happy with their router and would just love to recommend it?

I'm all ears!

Last edited:
I work at best buy and some of our biggest seller is the Motorola router and modem in one. Model is the surf board AC1800M.

Have you checked out this one?

Asus RT-N66U

I've had it for a few years and it's rock solid.

e. Coherent intelligent customer support, preferably not based in the Third World

Good luck finding that in this day and age.

Last edited:
Have you checked out this one?

Asus RT-N66U

I've had it for a few years and it's rock solid.

Good luck finding that in this day and age.

Quite coincidentally, that is the same router that I have, and I also like it. It has many of the listed features you are looking for.

If you can hold out at all, Samsung has recently developed a 60 GHz WiFi capable of 4.6 Gbps. Should be available in a few months.

I have to say Asus RT-N66U is one of the best ones I have seen. I have had it for awhile now and no issues. The signal is great even from a good distance.

I know they update the firmware a lot as the issue come in. 7 updates to firmware this year which is a lot better than some routers.

I've considered both of those, good recommendations, particularly the Asus. I ended up going for one of my updates with the Asus one step down from that, the RT-N16, which seems to be sufficiently powerful and configurable for one specific installation. I like that you can "upgrade" the firmware to DDWRT, which has its "selling" points.

Any others?

If you want to unsettle your day Google the brand/model of your router and add "+vulnerabilities."

The irony is I doubt you can find one router for which there aren't any.