Recommendation for MOBO

imgregrice

Who?
Reaction score
any one have a recommendation on a motherboard ? my requirements are it must hold at least 12 gigs of ram have crossfire capability ( 2 crossfire setups would be bad ass aka 4 pcie slots ) and must be AMD I know big debate but I refuse to buy intel
long story as to why and pretty irrelevant...
What I am looking to do is buy a monster mobo and slowly build on it over time as i get funds... I would like to run at least 4gb of ram out of the starting line to match what I have now and buy more ram as I get $$ any input would be great

My current setup is
AMD 4800
Utltra 1k watt PSU
ATI HD2900xt
ATI 1900XT
Gaming HD
X4 Dell Monitors Bought them today they are in the mail
ABIT AT8 32X
40 gig OS Drive Maxtor
x3 hds WD 150gig
Case (Ultra Aluminus)
Cyber Snipa Game Pad V2
OCZ 4gb ram but I cant find the damn link

and for a visual this is my setup older image now I have a shelf above the monitors and tower is on that

Last edited:
I want your job.
Being able to splash out $600 on monitors...

Although AMD has great vid cards right now and...right now I'd get a 5870 over a GTX anything with zero hesitation, AMD is no where near intel for CPU's......and I thought you were serious about a "monster mobo" :)

Here's my classified when I was building it up on my test rack

It does do crossfire I believe. Pretty sure x58's do both SLI and crossfire.

Although AMD has great vid cards right now and...right now I'd get a 5870 over a GTX anything with zero hesitation, AMD is no where near intel for CPU's......and I thought you were serious about a "monster mobo" :)

Here's my classified when I was building it up on my test rack

It does do crossfire I believe. Pretty sure x58's do both SLI and crossfire.

yeah looks pretty sweet...
the no intel path is sadly a deal breaker for me AMD is a must...
As far as "monster mobo" I am looking of more building on a budget over time but want a solid foundation I would like to stay around $2-300
I do appropriate the reply tho!

I want your job.
Being able to splash out $600 on monitors...

this is my christmas present ...
btw I did spend 600 however I am getting 120 of it back via Blings cashback deal ... so I really only spent 480

I made 6 itx builds using amd 2500's for my boxes, but other then knowing intels mid end is better then amd's top end, nevermind comparing intels top end to the best amd has to offer (seriously, amd is that far behind here), I really don't build amd stuff. However, for mobos, I'd generally go Asus or DFI on the cheap

You spell check a forum? rofl

depends on how drunk or tired I am ... rt click correct is much better than retyping

I would say go kick a pit bull in the nuts before you buy an AMD.

Maybe a reason as to why you hate INTEL would enlighten us to help you shop for AMD. Only reason to go AMD is to go budget. Quality goes INTEL.(You do get bad parts going either way it happens)

Kind of off topic, but since it looks like you have 4 monitors, have you verified that you can do multi-displays with crossfire? I run 2 8800GTS cards in my gaming rig, and have to disable SLI if I want to activate my second monitor, as this is part of the SLI spec.

WARNING: Opinions below!!

I have only ever run Nvidia gfx cards since the bad 'ole days when ATI used the dumb catalyst that was so bloated you had to reformat to uninstall it. /rant off. Like JJ, I also prefer Intel procs to AMD, my Q6600 blows my Phenoms out of the water in all throughput tests. (No, not any benchmarking software, but video transcoding using x264).

Intel for CPUs! ATI for Graphics Cards!

ATI is all ive ever used :)

im a little bit jealous of your setup! Honestly though, if you are serious about a hardcore setup, you need to get past whatever is stopping you going INTEL!

;)

I cannot seem to get used to 4 monitors stacked like that. Looks pretty but I just don't think I could adapt to it fast enough to keep it.