*Rant on*

Mspudd14

Reaction score
WTF SOE!!

Server migrations are handled best on a server by server basis not an all at once thing which is guaranteed to create a shit storm of pissed off clients. Last weeks migration was suppose to have been done in a timely fashion until not so shockingly you ran into issues which caused a downtime of roughly 24hrs for all of your clients (minus AB of course which I might add had a new guild start and grow to record membership of nearly 700 folks in one night thanks to those who needed their EQ fix)!! Hence why they are done on a server by server basis so you can learn from your earlier mistakes and not repeat them for later servers. Something anyone with any experience could have told you, you fucking newbs!

Current downtime due to 13th anniversary release... also seems unnecessarily extended since entire expansion releases are done in half the time vs simple 2wk additions being made to those servers. Some folks may argue that prior to those expansions release there are always prep updates done prior to cut down on those patches and I cant argue but its not like this anniversary just snuck up on them since its a fixed fucking date so they had plenty of time to do those same prep updates as well.

Honestly if I was a betting man I'd wager they held off on those prep updates so they could release everything at once so as to hinder our community in getting a new compile done in a relatively short period of time so as to keep those who wont play without the unique abilities we have available to us from competing with non users.

But explain this to me if you can.... Why the fuck are the progression servers offline. Free to play doesnt affect them in any way since Gold membership is required to play on them. Nor will any of the anniversary events likely be available to them since they are not far enough in progression for them to be available. I could be wrong on the latter but I'm fairly sure I am not.

So once again your blanket Locked is affecting those whom it shouldnt be due to piss poor decision making and lack of any real customer service mindset over there.

I welcome intelligent discussion/disagreement to any of the above... but please keep the retarded childish flaming to the official SOE forums. If brains were dynamite and you dont have enough to blow your own nose then its better to remain silent and be thought intelligent than to speak and remove all doubt.

Wear sunscreen

Sir you need to take a deep breath and step outside and look at the flowers. You also might want to tend to the female in your life if that's possible. Also a puppy is nice, tho they can poop on your carpet they are a nice distraction for a while. Get a job. Do something that scares you like exercising. Eat low-fat for once. Try sushi. But above all else wear sunscreen, because id be willing to bet your ass is as white as a Styrofoam cup.

I welcome intelligent discussion/disagreement to any of the above... but please keep the retarded childish flaming to the official SOE forums. If brains were dynamite and you dont have enough to blow your own nose then its better to remain silent and be thought intelligent than to speak and remove all doubt.

QFT

htw

mandalorean, my 2c, is it has a lot to do with the way f2p works, and with soe's site, databases, new eqplayers, linked in data, all that.

Unlike expansions, or even patches, they were not set up to do any real beta testing with this new system. Getting it all set up properly, whatever data migrations they needed to do, potential hardware changes, along with the normal client patching, well - I expect the techs that be, just needed a lot of extra time, and added a safety buffer. Will that buffer be enough? I guess we'll see very shortly LOL.

As far as TLP servers, I expect that it's the same thing. They have the same code base, the same data interactions. Maintaining a separate base is not in their interest. Those servers use the same client, and same server software, same databases. They have 'flags', configurations, that they can switch various stuff on or off. Even VOA is there, you just can't get to it (normally). For f2p logins, I'm sure they implemented a flag system that checks account status, on which servers to allow you to log in.

I'm sure there are going to be issues, and bugs. Hopefully it's more interesting, than annoying. ;)

Just MHO!

htw

Sir you need to take a deep breath and step outside and look at the flowers. You also might want to tend to the female in your life if that's possible. Also a puppy is nice, tho they can poop on your carpet they are a nice distraction for a while. Get a job. Do something that scares you like exercising. Eat low-fat for once. Try sushi. But above all else wear sunscreen, because id be willing to bet your ass is as white as a Styrofoam cup.

*hands wilbunk a tissue* Your nose appears to be dripping.

That is the discussion I welcome HTW. But since progression is limited strictly to Gold members and f2p has absolutely no bearing what so ever on them I would think that their downtime should be less. Being in the hosting (tho admittedly not the gaming) environment I do understand and can sometimes agree that the stance "what a client doesnt know cant hurt them" I can see why they wouldnt announce that those progression servers would be up sooner. But at this point I cant honestly see why they would be kept down as long when their updates would be completed in a much shorter time frame. Of course SoE seems to embrace the "no news is good news" policy so I do admit their might be a valid reason why they are still down. I just cant logically think of why that may be. Keeping them offline until all the others are up to keep all inconvenience or suffering the same is just poor CS and business thinking.

Last edited:
I know it is not SOE's fault. Everytime I set a few days aside to grind they always patch!

If they were doing this all at once to mess with "our community" wouldn't it have worked better from their point of view to separate them into multiple patches to mess up "our community" several times?

IN any case, I suggest putting on your tinfoil hat, just in case Sony does really plan EVERYTHING they do to "foil" (get it, "foil"?!) the nefarious plans of the MQ/MMOBUGS "community".

If they were doing this all at once to mess with "our community" wouldn't it have worked better from their point of view to separate them into multiple patches to mess up "our community" several times?

IN any case, I suggest putting on your tinfoil hat, just in case Sony does really plan EVERYTHING they do to "foil" (get it, "foil"?!) the nefarious plans of the MQ/MMOBUGS "community".

Actually my point was small patches usually get compiled pretty quickly usually less than 24hrs later we are back up, but when they do massive updates all at once it can take a few days to get everything working again and the official release of the new compile. Time that non users wouldnt have to compete with those who refuse to play w/o the unique stuff we have access to.

Mostly I'm just irritated by the repeated extended downtime in the last two weeks. I cant think of a logical a reason for all servers to be down for 24hrs not once but twice in that time frame.

Rant- is having to reinstall everquest on ever machine I have. I logged in after downtime and 4 of 4 accounts all missing toons but able to log in still. Tech support once contacted said my toons are still there but for me to see them I have to download new launcher. Never the less tried just installing launcher to access toons with tech support gave guidance and download was started which inturn went to reinstall entire game, Tech support was stumped and so am I. No software expert here just some the enjoys gaming. Does anyone have an idea:confused:

Tech support is correct - you will not see any characters if you log in without downloading the latest patch. Interestingly enough, you can still log in with the old everquest.exe - this may indicate that rather small changes happened.

Downloading the full game happens if the path that you specified in the launcher does not match your eq path. In that case the launcher will see that all files are missing, and will start to download all of them.

Wow.. this is amazing. Some people will bitch about anything.

The patch was 123 MB in size. The 24 hour downtime was entirely on server side. And going FTP, adding a new tag to many items in the game, and reactivating and then assigning all accounts to either gold, silver or free.. there are plenty of things that they needed to do to their infrastructure. And that's not even taking Vox into account.

You come off as a whiny little bitch because they took your toys away. As if we didn't know this patch was coming for more than a month. Zero sympathy. Either shut and play the game or log off and go do something, anything, else.

Rant- is having to reinstall everquest on ever machine I have. I logged in after downtime and 4 of 4 accounts all missing toons but able to log in still.

I had to download the new launch pad and when it asked where to install EQ to I pointed it to my EQ directory. Took about 10-15 minutes to check files and maybe 5 to download new content.

Rant- is having to reinstall everquest on ever machine I have. I logged in after downtime and 4 of 4 accounts all missing toons but able to log in still.

I had to download the new launch pad and when it asked where to install EQ to I pointed it to my EQ directory. Took about 10-15 minutes to check files and maybe 5 to download new content.

This. Was even faster on my machine. I don't really see the big problem here. :(

lol OP. The Devs don't have downtimes this long to mess with MQ2 just for the hell of it. The downtime was needed for all the server side changes f2p needed. You seem to think this shit is easy and you just flip a switch and everything gets changed and works perfect. Would you rather have them make the changes in 6 hrs and take them down 3-4 times to fix the changes ?

Mind you, they did still screw it up. They left RaF on and some people claimed their headstart character on Vox. They had to delete those characters and bring the server down to do it. Also, the tutorial is busted in that, if the second zone is full, you can't zone into it from the first part of the tutorial and you get stuck, unless you know how to get out, which new players would not know to attack the guy trying to save you (Arias).

Sorry but you asked for this by totally ignoring my final paragraph of the original post.

lol OP. The Devs don't have downtimes this long to mess with MQ2 just for the hell of it.

Opinion. No rational, intelligent, or thoughtful rebuttals or proof in any way.

The downtime was needed for all the server side changes f2p needed.

Opinion. Poor rebuttal and a very weak one at that. So weak in fact that it was already discussed in actual detail later on. Please see HTW's rebuttal and my counter rebuttal to him.

You seem to think this shit is easy and you just flip a switch and everything gets changed and works perfect.

Opinion based on an assumption and we all know what those who make assumptions end up doing to themselves. This time is no different since you must have missed that sentence where I stated I was in the hosting business so probably have a greater understanding of whats involved than you.

Would you rather have them make the changes in 6 hrs and take them down 3-4 times to fix the changes ?

Wow! Seriously? This is the choice we have? How did you come up with this choice? What are the suggested variables here, the patch time? I could keep going but whats the point. It is a random choice you pulled out of thin air generated from pure speculation.

If I may be allowed to make an assumption of my own (knowing full well I could be making an ass of out me). You seem to be saying that you believe that the time it takes them to complete their patches has a direct correlation with the number of times they have emergency patches. That in turn implies that it is your belief that part of that patch downtime is spent testing. Not simply just a part of that down time but a significant portion of it. If I'm wrong by all means please clarify because I cant even list all the reasons why I disagree with that.

Tread carefully as this thread is turning to stupid way too quickly. That goes for both sides.

I welcome intelligent discussion/disagreement to any of the above... but please keep the retarded childish flaming to the official SOE forums. If brains were dynamite and you don't have enough to blow your own nose then its better to remain silent and be thought intelligent than to speak and remove all doubt.

You're discussing a video game. Anonymously. On the internet. Think about that.

In my completely obligatory and necessary post due to boredom at work I'd like to remind everyone in this thread for the first and last time.

<3 You all