Question about APC Backup UPS

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I need a UPS and I found one my business had retired when we closed down a location. It's an APC Back-UPS XS 1500 bought back in June 2011. It turns on fine and provides display info but it appears the batteries have gone "bad" since they won't charge. It has 2 Kung Long model WP1236W batteries.

MicroCenter appears to sell appropriate replacement batteries for about $60 and I'm not far from a store that has them in stock.

But... it's a 6-year old piece of hardware, which can be a lifetime with computer equipment. Plus if I look up this model on Amazon there are some complaints that this particular type of UPS from APC does not produce the kind of sine wave that Corsair PSU's need. Seems to be a big issue altho I don't really comprehend it entirely. I do think I have a Corsair PSU in a computer I might use this for.

The UPC goes for about $180 brand new, but the new models seem to have this sine wave issue as well.

So the question is: replace the batteries or just junk the old unit and buy something different?

Unless I knew exactly how that equipment was used, I wouldn't invest anything more into it. Also, though it does have some age, those replacement batteries would already be a good chunk into a new one.

I've had great success with OmniVS 120V 1500VA 940W Line Interactive UPS Tower USB port (OMNIVS1500) | Tripp Lite throughout all my equipment. I've had an array of Thermaltake and Corsair PSUs, never an issue. The only other UPS I'd use is Panamax, for A/V equipment.

I need a UPS and I found one my business had retired when we closed down a location. It's an APC Back-UPS XS 1500 bought back in June 2011. It turns on fine and provides display info but it appears the batteries have gone "bad" since they won't charge. It has 2 Kung Long model WP1236W batteries.

MicroCenter appears to sell appropriate replacement batteries for about $60 and I'm not far from a store that has them in stock.

But... it's a 6-year old piece of hardware, which can be a lifetime with computer equipment. Plus if I look up this model on Amazon there are some complaints that this particular type of UPS from APC does not produce the kind of sine wave that Corsair PSU's need. Seems to be a big issue altho I don't really comprehend it entirely. I do think I have a Corsair PSU in a computer I might use this for.

The UPC goes for about $180 brand new, but the new models seem to have this sine wave issue as well.

So the question is: replace the batteries or just junk the old unit and buy something different?

You nailed it on the head when you said the system was 6 years old. In the life of computers that is a lifetime. Being that it's lifetime has been reached I think I would junk it and get yourself a new unit. Specifically one that doesn't have reviews reflecting incompatibility with your existing hardware. No sense in rolling the dice in the off chance it might work. Then if did work, for how long? What if the issue isn't the battery? What was the condition of this unit prior to retiring it, was it already pulled out of service and no longer being used? That's a lot of variables. Sure thing would be to get a new unit.

But hey, if you're a gambling man....sometimes it pays off. But typically when you gamble the odds are against you and in favor of the house. Who's the house you say? In this case microcenter depending on their return policy.

Thanks much for the responses. You pretty much are telling me what I should already have concluded... don't get cheap with important stuff like this! Why risk a $2000 system to save a hundred bucks or so!

Appreciate the thoughtful advice. I will junk this thing and go new!