Programmable Keyboards & Keypads

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Most players who box or automate aspect of their gameplay eventually stumble onto programmable keyboards, keypads and to a lesser extent, programmable mice, to indulge their laziness. ;)

Many people here are familiar with the X-Keys from P.I. Engineering. I use them and they're not bad, although I didn't like it when they moved away from a self-contained programming method built into each unit to one dependent on software on the PC. Last time I checked their software doesn't run under Vista so to program an X-Keys you have to connect it to an XP system to download your keystrokes to the X-Keys before using it on a Vista PC. That's lame.

I recently discovered Genovation's line of programmable keypads, specifically the 24-key Controlpad 683 and the 35-key Controlpad 682. The 24-key pad is cheaper (by $30) and smaller than X-Keys' comparable 20-key unit. The 35-key unit is amazingly smaller (11 more keys for just an extra inch of width compared to the 24-key) but it's pricey at $160. I do like it's rectangular shape, though, it fits nicely in front or next to a keyboard. X-Keys has a 50-key monster unit which is pug-ugly, in a big boxy square unit and it doesn't fit anywhere in most desk setups. Genovation seems have been successful at miniaturizing the guts to the point where the top of their units contains just keys, no wasted blank surface space.

Here's a link to the Genovation 24-key unit:

http://www.genovation.com/683.htm

I just started playing with this unit and the only problem I've run into is, once again, I can't seem to download a configuration file for gameplay keystrokes under Vista! It downloads fine under XP. I installed Genovation's configuration software into both systems and didn't get any error messages during installation. Both PC's will "see" the 683's keystrokes; I just can't download non-default commands under Vista.

Anyone run into this? Of course, it's the weekend so I can't call their tech support, which I plan to do tomorrow.

Generally, also, anyone have any other programmable keyboards to recommend? I love trying out new and interesting hardware but there aren't really a lot of good programmable KB's out there. First of all, what is sometimes called "programmable" just allow you to program a small handful of Windows system commands and no macros. When a KB is fully programmable, it's usually HUGE and clutters up the desktop. I'm still using a MCK142-Pro from Ortek, made over 15 years ago. It's a great keyboard, with old-style clickety-clack keys and 24 fully programmable extra function keys, no software required. But they don't make 'em anymore and when this one dies I won't be able to replace it. Plus I can only use one for boxing since if I used the same KB for my other PC's there'd be no room on my desktop for the beer!

The best thing about programmable keyboards and keypads is that they're entirely legal under the EULA!

Last edited:
I use a bunch of X-keys. I have mostly USB, but also 2 PS/2 versions. All work under Vista or windows 7, so whatever problem you have with it not working with vista.....it's on your end. My use also dates back to when vista was just coming out. They sell both versions still, the PS/2 or the USB. PS/2 has direct programing of the keys, no software needed. USB needs software. Buy the one you like. I love the USB one. I program the software to do the keystrokes I want one time, then I copy that to each computer, then I set the hotkeys in the game to corraspond to what I want each individual character to do when those keys are used. Beats the crap out of programming each X-keys seperately. ALthough PI engineering now came out with a hadware you can program keystokes into, then hook up to your PS/2 X-keys and unload the programming to the X-keys and repeat. I use the PS/2 version, because vetras don't work too well with any USB products. ALthough they got versions now that supposedly do.

I have 8 USB 58 key pros and 1 PS/2 24 key that goes to the Vetra. I control all normal stuff from the 24 key X-keys hooked up to the vetra since it controls 8 of my characters with each key. It makes controlling those 8 characters like I am only controlling 1. If shit goes south, I fall back to individually controlling each character seperately via their own xkeys. If you box a bunch and use programable keys already and you don't automate, diffinently look into Vetras as well

http://www.vetra.com/wow.html

I have a 58 key PS/2 Xkeys that's been sitting in the box unused because right now the 24 key version I started with has been enough and I hate fixing something that isn't broken. Gonna see how I like automation of my toons. So far, in a group set-up, I actually do just about all the things I want all my characters to do via the 24 key hooked to the vetra. I don't do the finer stuff, like AA skill use, but if I switch out to the 58 key, then I will easily have enough keys to do those as well (and actually I can do it now, it's just I am too lacy to figure out the way I want to set it up and prgram the X-keys to do it). One of the things I don't do well is move my character if they get agro. My character will just stand there till I can get my tank to get the mob off em. Unfortunately, reading the magebot macro, sounds like that will be the same situation as well with the automation. Magebot will stand there doing nothing till I get the mob off with my tank. So I am not sure what the gain is for me other then I am not pressing the X-keys 6ish times per fight. I'd pretty much be trading not having to press a key 6 times per fight (trash mobs) to worrying about being caught automating.

Altho I haven't used it in a while I like the Belkin N52 key pad.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-n52te-Tournament-Edition-SpeedPad/dp/B000WMEHYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254686540&sr=8-1"]Belkin speed pad[/ame]

small foot print the only downside is the programming software. It works just fine just don't like the way you have to input keystrokes.

This is an X-keys with WoW set-up on it BTW for those of you that haven't seen before.

I used all the old spell ICONs, made up ICONS for stuff and my actual character names done in color code. Shrunk it, enlarged, whatever to make it fit on the keys. A lot easier then tring to remember which G key does what. Especiall when you are using 9 of those keyboars and another of the 24 version.

Man I would love to see your computer room, and to see how many arms you have :D

I have tried x-keys. It always seemed slow to send the text to the screen. I was also woried about accidently sending commands somewhere people can see them.

LOL, Genovation responded to my inquiry. They confirmed that their software canNOT download to a device under Vista-64bit.

Gee, you don't suppose they could include a passing mention of this in their documentation, especially as they claim their devices work under Vista. It's always so aggravating when software and hardware manufacturers won't admit such problems until a customer has wasted time trying to figure out if it's something the customer did and finally gets around to contacting tech support.

Whatever happened to "the customer always comes first"!?

X-keys is older technology; you're right that sometimes the interaction can be slightly buggy. Some of that has to do with needing some pauses in command strings. Programmable keyboards transfer commands to a PC much faster than a human can manually and this can lead to problems that can be fixed by inserting short delays in the strings. That's one advantage of using software to program such devices since it's hard to impossible to insert pauses when you program a device through the hardware alone.

Last edited:
Regarding key labels, the WoW keypad above sure is purty.

My problem is I change key assignments a lot so rather than popping off key covers all the time I end resorted to sticking tiny removable labels ontop of the key covers, hehe.

I'm using the G15 keyboard and G13 gamepad. All works with Vista 64-bit. The programming window is real easy and straightforward. Have never had any problems with these two specific pieces or any Logitech hardware in general.

How are you getting the G13 to work with EQ? I've been trying everything imaginable and I just can't get it to work inside EQ. Even quickmacro's fail to record. This is the only game I have had any trouble with the G13 on.

How are you getting the G13 to work with EQ? I've been trying everything imaginable and I just can't get it to work inside EQ. Even quickmacro's fail to record. This is the only game I have had any trouble with the G13 on.

Exit out of the program that runs the G13. There should be two icons/shortcuts for starting it back up. I found it probably in the Logitech folder and made a shortcut copy of it on my desktop. Right click each one and run as admin.....

Exit out of the program that runs the G13. There should be two icons/shortcuts for starting it back up. I found it probably in the Logitech folder and made a shortcut copy of it on my desktop. Right click each one and run as admin.....

That was the problem, it works great now. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.