overheating pc

Noah3

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
so i bought a whole new system a few months ago. i hadn't actually put it to any kinda of stress test till a couple days ago when i bought a new gpu (i loaded up a lot eq instances of eq) so i cant really be sure if its the gpu or the cpu but i think its really a combo...

i am buying a full tower today . that will allow a bit more space for the components to breathe i'd imagine, but while im out getting the tower i would like to pick up anything else that might help so i don't need to make a trial and error thing out of it.

a couple of the things i was interested rather or not anyone had some experience with was:
a liquid cooler for the cpu
a separate graphics card fan

also can anyone else recommend anything else other than a larger case and a lot of case fans(i have 5 case fans all set on high and the new case i am getting supports 3 more case fans)

i have a second desktop that i am planning on
sharing the workload of eq instances so that will lighten the burden..

i have a real bad habit of rambling and getting off point.
but if anyone knows about the liquid cooler and component fans or anything that i didn't think of to help cool a pc please share..
thank you

Lot of times people forget that ambient tempts around the case are just as important as the temps inside the case. I would stop trying to move air in the case and move air around the case. The hot air that gets ported out from the video cards and power supply unit, will both heat the ambient temp around the case 10-20 degrees from other spots in the room. Specially if you have them enclosed without a central air return.

This is why Liquid cooling works better then air, it allows the heat to dissipate without heating up the whole area.

Also did you bother running any stress software like Prime95/MPrime, System Stability Tester, or CPUBurn?

Just do what I done. Take the side of the case off and have a box fan blowing into it. Helps out a lot lol

Also did you bother running any stress software like Prime95/MPrime, System Stability Tester, or CPUBurn?

no, i am the guy with neat stuff that really doesn't understand the science of any of it, i built it, but that's the extent of my knowledge..

that's all really awesome info. i seriously never even considered the fact im just moving hot air through my unit.. that opened my eyes to a world of simple solutions thank you..

also i never even knew they made actual stress test for pcs, never occurred to me , just though id give it all i could and see how it held up... i will look into those..

lastly the point you made about liquid cooling got me thinking.... if i do liquid cooling do i need to go all liquid cooling to avoid counteracting the liquid cooler with air flow or do both cooling systems work well together as long as i manage the outside air?

thank you again for all the good info

Just do what I done. Take the side of the case off and have a box fan blowing into it. Helps out a lot lol

we have stupid nasty cats, this would be a disaster otherwise i would. thank you though..

closed doors dont matter the hair blows around like the dust bowl. i am just waiting for them to pass its been 10 years ive been doing time with 7 cats... yes 7.. i liked cats as a kid, now i hate them

Last edited:
Most any liquid cooling system is still going to require air flow. It just dissipates the heat better than air flow alone. Liquid cooling systems are going to have a radiator that the liquid passes through in order to cool off. It works exactly like the radiator in a car, liquid passes through it and a fan pulls (or pushes on some set ups) air through the radiator fins to cool the liquid passing through.

I also suggest if you go for liquid cooling on your CPU, use a sealed system. Every non sealed system I've used in the past required constant monitoring of the water level and adding additional distilled water occasionally. It grew quite annoying.

If your case is large enough I highly recommend the Corsair H100 sealed liquid cooling system. I have it on a 3960x (extreme hexacore chip). I've taken the chip up to 5 Ghz OC (from 3.3ghz base clock), and had it run at about 85c at 100% stress test using Prime95 for over 12 hours. My average temps on my everyday use OC of 4 Ghz are around 35c (between idle at 20% load). So the H100 does a very good job at cooling IMO.

But also I'll second what JJ said about ambient cooling around the case. Assuming your case exhausts out the back, never put the back of your case right up against a wall, leave at least a foot of clearance, more preferably, and make sure you have something set up that will move that air away from the back of the case. It will help immensely with the internal temps of the case all around (and thus the temps of the components).

MADE UPGRADES WONDERING WHY STILL HOT

so i made a whole bunch of upgrades focused on cooling. my temp while idle is @ cpu: 44 degrees c.. and main board: 31 degrees c..

upgrades i made:
corsair h100,,cfi full tower,,, 9 cooler fans, plus radiator from corsair psu fan and gpu fans (2 fans on gpu) pc is about a foot from the wall and a mini fan is blowing the air away from the tower.. also the room temp is around 70-75 degrees f.. at any given time(thermostat is in this room and floor is made of tile)...
2 of my fans ar corsair(came with h100) the other 7 are antec 120mm 3 speed tricools (they are all set to the highest setting) ..

my tower is diffrent than any other ive owned aside from being much larger(no vent area infront panel , vents are located on side edges of the front, same with the bottom and top, vent holes are on edges not directly on top front or bottom. and there is no side vent pointed @ gpu like most cases seem to have).....

my fans are set like so:
2 fans infront pulling air in, 1 fan on bottom pulling air in (pointed up) 1 fan in back pulling air out of case,, 2 fans under radiator pushing air out of case though the radiator, 2 fans on top of the radiator pulling air out of case through the radiator and 1 fan parallel to bottom fan pulling air out of case.. also psu fan and 2 fans that are part of the gpu..(psu blowing up , gpu blowing down into psu)

my hardware:
amd fx 8350 eight core cpu
msi 970a-g43 mobo
thermaltake smart m series 850w psu
16gb.. 4x4 adata ddr3 1333 mhz pc3-10600
evga geforce gtx 760 2gb gddr5 gpu
corsair h100 liquid cooler
any help or suggestion as to what im doing wrong would be appreciated. i also have pictures if it helps any at all.. thank you ahead of time

Last edited:
SORRY

DELETED

Last edited:
I've never really liked the push pull setup on radiators / cooling fins. Some people have luck with them but I've never seen any noticeable improvement from it personally. But at the same time, I haven't really seen any noticeable problems with it either, so it's really just a try it and see which way works best for you on that.

But I'd say one of your problems is that you are pulling air out of the case through the radiator. So, you are pulling heated air from the inside of the case over the radiator to cool the water. This isn't optimal. Optimally you want to push cool air through the radiator for best cooling. I suspect you would see a descent temp drop if you do that.

If not, you may also try reseating the CPU Block to be sure it's set good. If you've got some thermal paste it might be worth trying something other than the thermal paste that came on the h100. I think I'm running arctic silver 5 on mine. If you do that though, make sure to clean off all the old thermal paste first and be sure to look up thermal paste application instructions for your CPU. It usually only requires a small line or sometimes even a dot in a specific area.

What case are you using? I'm not sure I'm following all your fan positioning correctly. Link the pictures you've got perhaps? But for example you said you have one on the bottom pulling air in and another parallel to it pulling air out. By parallel, do you mean on top of the case?

What case are you using? I'm not sure I'm following all your fan positioning correctly. Link the pictures you've got perhaps? But for example you said you have one on the bottom pulling air in and another parallel to it pulling air out. By parallel, do you mean on top of the case?

im using a CFI Taiji Full-Tower, and yes, i mean one located on the bottom of the case blowing air from the bottom to the top, and then one next to the radiator set up b(catching that air i guess) and blowing it out of the case through the top..View attachment 6404

6 pics of pc,,
1st is : birds eye view of tower top, (open)
2nd : inside from side downward angle view
3rd: straight in from the side
4th: upward angle of inside
5th: front angle of tower
6th: side from away

Last edited:
attention

Attention

If not, you may also try reseating the CPU Block to be sure it's set good. If you've got some thermal paste it might be worth trying something other than the thermal paste that came on the h100. I think I'm running arctic silver 5 on mine. If you do that though, make sure to clean off all the old thermal paste first and be sure to look up thermal paste application instructions for your CPU. It usually only requires a small line or sometimes even a dot in a specific area.

Great advice... sometimes you even want to check your GPU chip and make sure fan is set on arctic silver.

thermal paste

im trying to decide between the 2 of these. does anyone know about them?

Antec.com - Product: Formula 7 ...i can pick this up @ staples this afternoon for $10

or

Welcome i can have this mailed to me , ill have it friday for $17 (price plus s+h)

is the ic diamond 7 really that much better, or will the antec nano 7 be just fine?

what would you guys do please?

im trying to decide between the 2 of these. does anyone know about them?

Antec.com - Product: Formula 7 ...i can pick this up @ staples this afternoon for $10

or

Welcome i can have this mailed to me , ill have it friday for $17 (price plus s+h)

is the ic diamond 7 really that much better, or will the antec nano 7 be just fine?

what would you guys do please?

I've only used one diamond based paste once in the past and I didn't care for the thickness of it. It doesn't seem like it spreads as well and evenly as silver based paste that I usually use.

That said, if you want something quick and don't mind possibly wasting a few dollars if it doesn't work. The Antec Formula 7 is generally reviewed good on the web. A lot of reviews suggest warming it and possibly the CPU up before applying it to help with the thickness of it.

If you were going to order something I'd suggest this:

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-4 Extreme Performance and Exceptional Reliability Thermal Compound

From what I can see, it is generally reviewed as one of the best pastes available atm. I have no experience with it myself though.

Any chance you can take a picture of your case while its open so we can see the fans?

I personally think its more of how you are circulating the air. CFM IN vs CFM OUT plays a big difference. Add in radiators and extra stuff it comes more important. Besides blowing hot air into the radiator you might be blowing to much air out not enough in / to much air in not enough out.

fan set up pics

i cant seem to get the pictures to load this time, it says i need a security token..

set up is :
2 fans in front pulling air in to tower(through side vents, not a direct front panel vent)

1 fan in back blowing air out of pc,

1 fan on the bottom of case pulling air through bottom side vents(blowing up @ a fan that is pulling air out of tower)

2 fans above cpu blowing air through a radiator and 2 fans ontop of radiator pulling air through the radiator out of the case.

then there are the 2 gpu fans blowing down @ the psu which is blowing back up at the gpu

(i have it set up the way this air flow diagram indicates in this link: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24120

all the fans are set to their highest setting

Last edited:
There really isn't a lot you can't cool with a proper fan setup. Just make sure your case has more fans pulling out air than pushing it in. A common mistake is pushing in more air than you're set up to take back out. That causes the air inside to tumble and will easily add 20-30 degrees to the inside of a case.

A friend of mine had a three GPU set-up that was overheating after being under load for about 20 minutes. He had those huge side panel fans. By turning one of them off and covering the vent hole, and making the other run at half speed we cooled down his internal case temperature by 18 degrees at load. That shows you how important it is not to push in more than your pulling out!

Two input fans and two output fans will cool most anything you could stick inside a case (pulling in air from from lower front and exhausting at the upper rear area) since most GPU's and the PS units will also pull air out. Where you get into trouble is pushing more air in thinking that will help cool when in fact, it only hurts air flow.

So, it's less about how many fans in total but more about how many are intake/output oriented and placement.

If you have an internal case temp reading try disabling one of the input fans and see what it does to your temp. Also, if you have a small hole some where in your case you can put a small piece of plastic film over it (saran wrap). If your setup tries to pull it into the hole, your set up is sound. If it is blowing out of the hole, you have some work to do.

Sweet case, BTW.

LIQUID NITROGEN

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZr0W_g0dqk[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSBaizEqkk[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0B0Dli-1g[/ame]