New SOE Authenticator

hawthorne

Celer, Silens, Mortalis
Reaction score
https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29041/kw/authenticator
SOE Authenticator FAQ
Answer ID 29041 | Published 07/08/2011 06:08 AM | Updated 07/08/2011 10:36 AM
What is a SOE Authenticator?
The SOE Authenticator is a supplemental authentication method for your Station Account giving you the security of Two-Factor Authentication. This additional layer of security is designed to help thwart and prevent unauthorized access to your account. The SOE Authenticator provides you with a unique, one-time authenticator code (PIN) to use in addition to your regular password.

What types of SOE Authenticators will be available to me?
SOE will be introducing two (2) versions. A physical hardware authenticator that can be purchased and shipped directly from SOE and a mobile authenticator that can be used via your Smartphone device. The physical hardware authenticator is unique to your account, can be carried around with you and does not require a Smartphone device.

Who can use the SOE Authenticator?
Any SOE player or customer with a Station Account.

What is Two-Factor authentication?
Two-Factor Authentication is an added level of security on your Station Account that requires two different kinds of information from the user in order to authenticate access to their Station Account. When an SOE Authenticator is attached to a Station Account a user would then be required to enter in their Station Password plus the authenticator code (PIN) from their SOE Authenticator.

What is an authenticator code (PIN) and where do I see it?
The authenticator code (PIN) is a digital, six (6) digit, numeric code that is produced when you press the button on the front of your physical SOE Authenticator. Each authenticator code (PIN) is unique and valid only once.

How does the SOE Authenticator work?
You will need to ADD your SOE Authenticator to your Station Account by linking your account with your SOE Authenticator security device. Once the Station Account is linked, the SOE Authenticator will be required to log in to your account. Please note that once your Station Account is linked with an SOE Authenticator you will be required to supply your password plus the authenticator code (PIN) for all Station Account logins.

How do I ADD the SOE Authenticator to my Station Account?
You can ADD your SOE Authenticator by logging into your Station Account and going to My Account. Select Enhanced Security, ADD Authenticator and follow the instructions. When prompted enter the serial number on the back of your SOE Authenticator along with the authenticator code (PIN). Upon successful completion your Station Account will be linked and your SOE Authenticator will be required for all future logins.

Where do I enter the authenticator code (PIN) after successfully ADDING the SOE Authenticator to my Station Account?
During your normal login procedure you will enter your Station password plus your unique, one-time authenticator code (PIN) in the same field. Please note you will be required to enter both your Station password and your unique, one-time authenticator code (PIN) in that order. Each time you log in to your Station Account you will be required to enter your current Station password plus your unique, one-time authenticator code (PIN). Log in using both and rest assured knowing your Station Account is now even more secure from malicious attacks and possible threats.

Where do I get my SOE Authenticator?
The Limited Edition EQ II SOE Authenticator is available exclusively at Fan Faire for all attendees and will be purchasable from SOE’s website in the weeks following Fan Faire.

How much is the SOE Authenticator?
The physical version of the SOE Authenticator will cost $9.99 (includes shipping and handling) plus applicable tax.

Will the SOE Authenticator be available to International Customers?
Yes, International customers will be able to purchase the physical version of the SOE Authenticator for $9.99 USD plus additional shipping charges (varies depending on country), and International customers will be able to download the FREE mobile SOE Authenticator for their iPhone device once available.

How long does the physical SOE Authenticator last?
Typical life is 7-10 years based on normal usage.

Can I have multiple SOE Authenticators tied to one Station Account?
Yes, you can elect to attach several SOE Authenticators to your Station Account.

Can I have one (1) SOE Authenticator tied to multiple Station Accounts?
Yes, you can elect to link one (1) SOE Authenticator to multiple Station Accounts.

When will the mobile SOE Authenticator be available and will SOE support other Smartphone devices?
The mobile SOE Authenticator will be available in the near future. SOE plans to support select Smartphone devices including iPhone and Android powered devices. The mobile SOE Authenticator will provide the same level of protection as the physical SOE Authenticator. SOE will offer this version FREE to all Station Account customers as soon as it is ready!

How much is the mobile SOE Authenticator?
The mobile SOE Authenticator will be available for FREE for your Smartphone device.

What happens if I lose my SOE Authenticator?
If you lose your SOE Authenticator, you will need to contact Customer Support for assistance. Our representatives will be able to assist you with regaining account access by verifying certain security information with you.

Can I turn the extra security of the SOE Authenticator on and off as I wish?
Yes, you can do so by going to My Account and following the instructions to REMOVE your SOE Authenticator from your Station Account.

Will this work for my PLAYSTATION® Network account?
Unfortunately no, not at this time.

For more information, please look at these other articles on adding and removing an Authenticator or Logging in with an Authenticator.

Please feel free to contact Customer Support if you have questions or concerns.

One question I have that I know they can't or won't answer is, if I buy an account and then put the authenticator on it and the seller tries to get the account back... what happens?

Would be sweet if it helped but I doubt it will

I suspect it will be the usual goat fuck since you could, in all likelihood, gank an account and link it to your authenticator and that person could never get it back if that was the case. My guess is that person could still call in and prove ownership and the CSR could "unlink" the authenticator from that account and reset the password (assuming they provided the requisite info to prove ownership). I am just speculating but I think the alternative where you secure it forever once linked is not realistic.

They have WoW issues to use as a guide, not that they would, but they do. Exactly as EQBB stated, that if that happens, you have to call and prove ownership, and they will unlink it.

I had to do this, because I had the Smartphone app for it, and I jumped in the pool with my phone. Fried my phone, along with the app, and there is no way to get back the same app or numbers.

iPhone? Seriously? Fuck you SoE!

Not to mention my AutoLogin wouldn't work anymore.

Save everything else, I'm sure they will provide a method to unlink an account. We're not talking b.net to game merges like Blizzard did so no information should be overridden. SE has a similar feature with its games and "SA account" which also has an unlink feature.

Basically, if you were to take an account and add an authenticator on it, you could get by with the shittiest password save the algorithm from the key fob, and prevent anyone else from being able to access it until they are able to call in and get it unlinked.

I imagine after a few days of abuse from this they'll make it near impossible to unlink.

Yeah I still have my Blizzard and Rift authenticators on my phone. I should probably remove them from the accounts.

I like that you can put multiple accounts on one authenticator, and multiple authenticators on one account... it's like they are condoning sharing and boxing, all in the same way.

Here's a useful question they didn't answer: how much will these COST us, considering they came up with this idea to protect us from their own incompetency in protecting our private data in THEIR files.

This is one of my big pet peeves: all these commercial ID protection services... they're all in business primarily because the financial institutions in the world (banks, credit card companies, online and brick retailers, etc.) have constructed a system which forces unnecessary privacy risks upon consumers.

For example, storing your credit card at Amazon, or of course Sony, for easy use next time around... always been a stupid idea. You heard about the new credit cards which can be used from your pocket because they transmit the data straight to the merchant's wireless credit card terminal? I read in the trades that some hackers have already found how to intercept that data and then crack the encryption.

In this day and age, with what we already know about the dangers, do we really need to be encouraging consumers to transmit their personal info wirelessly to save the few seconds it takes to pull out a credit card and swipe it?

This is classic modern banking: banks create the problems and someone else---government, consumer, bank stockholders---bails them out.

/soapbox off

Here's a useful question they didn't answer: how much will these COST us, considering they came up with this idea to protect us from their own incompetency in protecting our private data in THEIR files.

This is one of my big pet peeves: all these commercial ID protection services... they're all in business primarily because the financial institutions in the world (banks, credit card companies, online and brick retailers, etc.) have constructed a system which forces unnecessary privacy risks upon consumers.

For example, storing your credit card at Amazon, or of course Sony, for easy use next time around... always been a stupid idea. You heard about the new credit cards which can be used from your pocket because they transmit the data straight to the merchant's wireless credit card terminal? I read in the trades that some hackers have already found how to intercept that data and then crack the encryption.

In this day and age, with what we already know about the dangers, do we really need to be encouraging consumers to transmit their personal info wirelessly to save the few seconds it takes to pull out a credit card and swipe it?

This is classic modern banking: banks create the problems and someone else---government, consumer, bank stockholders---bails them out.

/soapbox off

You didn't read it.

How much is the SOE Authenticator?
The physical version of the SOE Authenticator will cost $9.99 (includes shipping and handling) plus applicable tax.

Hmm... must have missed that the first time around.

But it's still 9.99 too much considering Sony CREATED the problem.