need help, non eq

mont7181

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced typing lag while running windows terminal server?
heres my setup:
the server runs Windows 2000 server.
Broadband connection
the client is running Windows XP pro and uses windows remote destop connection to log on to the server.
I have never had a speed issue before.
There are no graphics used, no screen savers or wallpapers, its just data entry.
I just purchased a Dell desktop with a Pentium D processor, win xp pro, and when I use this computer to connect remotely to the server I get severe typing lag.
All the other remote computers are P3's & P4's, and they work fine.
Any suggestions why Pent D lags out on me?

Thanks

Does this help?

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...te+desktop+2000&rnum=6&hl=en#3d636786fbc0c29e

or maybe this:

RDC tips and tricks

Having a smooth and responsive RDC is the name of the game, and here are a few things you can do to reduce the lag effect, particularly on low-bandwidth connections.

Colour depth: Okay, it's a bit of an old chestnut, but you should consider dropping the colour depth of the remote workstation - assuming, that is, you don't need 16 million colours! This can have a huge impact on transfer speeds, resulting in quicker-responding connections.

Command prompt 1: You can resort to opening a command prompt instead of using Windows Explorer. Not only does the simple monochrome command line interface speed things up, but so will using DOS commands.

Command prompt 2: If you want to connect to a terminal server via the command prompt you can do so by typing
mstsc -v:servername /F -console
and hitting <Enter>, where mstsc represents the remote desktop connection executable file, -v specifies which server to connect to, /F is for full-screen mode, and -console is there to indicate that you want to connect to the console.

thanks xcheck, I will try those suggestions out, :)