Need help choosing a tablet...

Mori

I like pie..
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to finally give in and buy a tablet... Only problem is, Which one? First off, My budget is around $150+S&H, I'd prefer a 10", but if it's an amazing tablet I'll settle for a smaller one. I'm willing to buy used if it is a nice tablet like Asus Transformer 10" with very minimal ware or something along those lines... Anyone have any feedback on a good tablet with my specs or close to for $150 or less?

Just depends on what type of OS you'd like to use, what you will be using it for and so fourth, but whatever you chose you really can't go wrong with most of them. Hell even the past two Kindles are around 149-199.

Went to Wal-Mart and got my gf's kids each a NextBook (8" Screen), runs on Android. Seems to be working out rather well for them. No issues with them as of yet. Was about 100 bucks.

Well, I'm looking to stay with Android and will mostly be used for gaming, streaming, surfing, music and whatever else, performance, memory size and graphics/resolution are big deciding factors...

As for the Kindle Fire HD/HDX, My girlfriend really wants one so she can upgrade from Kindle Paperwhite, but if it wasn't for the fact that its not an Open-Source platform which would mean that I would have to commit to only being able to download from Amazon Store.. Much like Appler/iTunes, Whereas Android allows out-sourcing enabling you to download from any source mi

The Nvidia Tegra Note is in your price range and you can take notes on it with a stylus. Ofcourse if you want LTE, better resolution etc, you are going to have to pay alot more.

FYI, this is the year LTE tablets going truly mainstream, we will see price drops as there is finally a 2nd/3rd player(Intel & Broadcom, before it was just Qualcomm) in the market selling LTE modems, so if you wait couple of months more you will be able to probably get a LTE tablet in this price range. Glad this monopoly is finally coming to an end, thats the only reason why LTE tablets have been so expensive, as there has been no competition against Qualcomm.

Next, Sharp's IGZO technology is letting tablet makers put some very high resolution tablets on the market. That's what really pushed the boundaries beyond Apple's retina display last year, so those high resolution 2560x1600 + tablets are showing up in abundance now. So in the $300-400 price range you can probably get one of those nowadays.

But if you need a cheap android alternative Tegra note is your best bet. Then there is the Nexus 7.

Last edited:
Ya, Asus 7" Google Nexus 7 is actually one of the ones im considering over 10" Matricom G-Tab Quantum 10, and then the underdog of my choices, 10" Dragon Touch R10. While the Nexus 7 is the iPad Air's comparable competition. Besides the smaller 7" screen on the Nexus, My only other bitch about the Nexus would be the lack of an SD Card slot but it boasts such Incredible internal storage space which almost makes an SD Caard slot obselete for this tab.. I feel it is pound for pound the best choice while staying within my budge and thats assuming I talk myself intop anything smalloer than 10"

If it doesn't have an SD card slot I wouldn't even consider it imo. That is one of the reasons for going Android. Which is probably the reason why I haven't bought anything Apple. Having the freedom of an SD slot or replaceable battery, or active stylus digitizer. Those things Apple can't provide you, so you are pretty much left with Windows or Android. Retina display was the big thing in Apple's corner, but that is a thing of the past now, there are quite a few tablets out there with even more PPI density now than the ipads.

What is the difference between:
1. laptop
2. ipad
3. tablet
4. kindle
5. iphone

Assuming you are not being facetious, smith, it is mostly form-factor and OS. Sure, internal tech can be different but to the avg user, it's essentially form-factor or the package it comes in, and OS, Windows, OSX, iOS, or Android.

iboard-imat-ipad.jpeg

Wow, after posting that picture I realized how dated it was. First of all, it's actually 2014. Second, he's not around anymore...