McDonalds, Minimum Wage Budget

hawthorne

Celer, Silens, Mortalis
Reaction score
Most people are smart enough to know that working at McDonald's should not be considered a career path unless youre shooting for management. McDonald's work was aimed towards students and college kids looking for extra cash while they finish out their studies. If theyre not in college, dropped out of high school or just have zero motivation to do anything with their life then, quite frankly, they have no room to bitch about anything. Far too many people bitch about their employment situation while doing nothing to address the situation except cry to the government in hopes of the government forcing employers to pay more money to folks who don't deserve it. The job is called unskilled for a reason and doesn't deserve a top notch pay scale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

"Heating............$0.00"

Bwahaha! Now I dont know if I should applaud them for being real on at least one part of their imaginary budget or disgusted that they clearly think its acceptable for poor people to freeze to death. lol

to be fair, I haven't spent a single cent on heating the last two months.

cooling on the other hand...

Bwahaha! Now I dont know if I should applaud them for being real on at least one part of their imaginary budget or disgusted that they clearly think its acceptable for poor people to freeze to death. lol

A lot of low income apartments come with free heat. I paid $590 a month for a 2 bedroom with free heat in a good city and good location. Neighbors sucked massively since rent was so cheap but it is still doable for someone on a budget.

Now I pay $800 a month for a 5 year old 2 bedroom house with central heat/air and all bills included including electricity.

There are great rental deals out there if you can find them. It takes some searching but definitely doable.

When we stop printing money and go back to some form of market controlled standard the value of the dollar will stop falling. When the value of the dollar stops falling minimum wage won't be so far out of what living costs actually are. Solve the root cause of the problem not provide band-aid fixes.

Mainstays Fleece Blanket - Walmart.com
Problem solved. When I was making less than 2k a month, I use blankets in the winter. Sucked, but it worked quite well.. Stayed warm, saved money; it was awesome.

Problem solved. When I was making less than 2k a month, I use blankets in the winter. Sucked, but it worked quite well.. Stayed warm, saved money; it was awesome.

Indeed, those fleece blankets are da shiz! I have a desert camo colored one that has survived three deployments! Cheap but effective!

Actually, what I took from it is that he's going to be working 16 hours a day so he won't be home except to sleep. Maybe on his days off he'd need a blanket.

Generic he/him. Could be a woman of course.

A lot of low income apartments come with free heat. I paid $590 a month for a 2 bedroom with free heat in a good city and good location. Neighbors sucked massively since rent was so cheap but it is still doable for someone on a budget.

Now I pay $800 a month for a 5 year old 2 bedroom house with central heat/air and all bills included including electricity.

There are great rental deals out there if you can find them. It takes some searching but definitely doable.

Sure there are, but they are the exception, and not the rule. Not everyone surviving on min. wage is going to be able to find those deals. Sucks to be them.

When we stop printing money and go back to some form of market controlled standard the value of the dollar will stop falling. When the value of the dollar stops falling minimum wage won't be so far out of what living costs actually are. Solve the root cause of the problem not provide band-aid fixes.

I whole-heartedly agree. That doesn't change the hear and now however. What we do about it now is.. I don't know. Corporations have too much control over things like this.

Australia has a min. wage of around 20AUD per hour. Their cost of living is pretty high, but not more than twice the US. Domestic products are somewhat expensive but we mostly only hear about the import items, which are atrociously expensive. Aussies also have a much more inclusive federal welfare system. There are still people that cannot afford to live there, cannot afford to pay rent, cannot afford to feed a family, are living homeless. What it showed me is there really is no magic bullet. US society is much more conservative compared to AUS. At least from a gov't and social order standpoint. I actually think that there are other areas that are more conservative in AUS than the US. Mostly military, and religion. It seemed to me, in my time there, that corps did not have as much influence in gov't and the social order there as they do in the US. I wouldn't say that things are better there, but they are different.

I bring up AUS mostly because they have a much higher minimum wage and it doesn't keep people from being on welfare or being homeless. So just raising the min wage here won't fix things. Having real, value based currency would change things a lot but I don't know if that will have the effect we would all like. It's a start though.

I've just always been of the opinion that if you're not surviving on your current job income, you need to change your job, or do something to increase your own standard of life. Surviving on minimum wage is difficult, and if you're mid 20's still making minimum wage, you've got a bigger problem and should be looking at your life and the choices you've made. If you've got a kid and can't get better than a minimum wage job, maybe that decision to have a kid was not the right decision.

A child costs an average of $200,000 to raise up to age 18, probably more if you want to factor in college, a car, and other luxury items to get their kid doing something more than just surviving (family vacations, going out with friends, buying them the new PS84397593847593874598 when it comes out + games, etc). Look at your yearly expenses, and do the math (saving $100 a month like the link listed), you're talking about $1200 a year, it would take you 200 years to make the money required to raise a child from 0-18. You can't afford to do it, period. Don't have a kid until you can afford to save $1000-2000 a month, it's really simple.

Contraceptives have gotten quite good over the years, to the point that there should be very little "oops" babies. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm typically sleeping with multiple women every week (no, I'm not bragging), and I have no accidental children, and no STD's. Your average man sleeps with 8 different women in his entire life, and only has one sexual partner at a time. I refuse to accept that a person can't remember to use a contraceptive of some kind given those numbers.

It's a sore topic for me because it's just an example of bad parenting, and you're not just affecting your life by having a kid, you're introducing a kid to a less-than-sufficient environment for them to have any chance at a successful life. Do you hate your kid that much that you want to deprive them of any chance of being happy?

I keep seeing people saying if your making minimum wage and your so and so age you need to get a life. Where I live the average mean is 20k a year. Your lucky around here if you have a job over minium wage. There are only 2 major companies here and they dont pay anything because of the unemployment here, they hire 100's of people at a time and treat you like shit. You either put up with it or quit and have nothing. The system here is hard to break and it breeds poverty. I live in the largest county in my state and we have the highest unemployment at around 22% and its not looking better anytime soon sadly.

I keep seeing people saying if your making minimum wage and your so and so age you need to get a life. Where I live the average mean is 20k a year. Your lucky around here if you have a job over minium wage. There are only 2 major companies here and they dont pay anything because of the unemployment here, they hire 100's of people at a time and treat you like shit. You either put up with it or quit and have nothing. The system here is hard to break and it breeds poverty. I live in the largest county in my state and we have the highest unemployment at around 22% and its not looking better anytime soon sadly.

Detroit?

One of my favorite Sam Kinison skits talks about World Hunger. He tells everyone to stop sending money for food. Send money for luggage and Uhauls. You can solve world hunger by having people to move to where the food is. Which leads to my point. If there aren't any jobs where you live, move.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA]Sam Kinison World Hunger - YouTube[/ame]

I work out of state which affods me a better life. I am lucky but not everyone has that opportunity or the wherewithal to be able to do that. I see people struggling everyday here that have no concept of a better life.

WOW just WOW! Some of these comments are disturbing, to say the least! I've made my niche in the world and I do well for myself. I'm far from rich or fully educated no college education for me. I didn't have that luxury nor did my sisters. We were children of drunks and addicts that barely had guidance. In fact only my youngest sister graduated high school. I spent four years in high school carried a 3.2 gpa (of a possible 4.0 max) back in the early 90's my junior and senior year I began taking Culinary classes at the voc tech and work co op trying to pad my credits with even more. 2nd semester of my senior year I was called down to the guidance counselor's office and informed I would not be able to graduate with my class because I was short 2 science and 3 PE credits even though I had 10 more than required to graduate at the start of my senior year. Changes in the state requirements for graduation had went into effect on January 1st of 1994. I finished what was my senior year and didn't look back still technically shy 3 credits from graduating.

I worked at KFC, pizza hut, and then moved on to Red Lobster as a Grill cook and dishwasher during the day. The money sucked even back then when I was given the chance to work at night at a local bar I took the chance and worked both jobs cash was tight but I was on my own FINALLY. then the opportunity of my dreams landed in my lap I was offered a DJ job for a gentleman's club LIFE got real good in 1995 600 week plus tips! holiday pay, health care, performance incentives I was living large. the girlfriend and I decided to have a kid then she left moving to FL before he was born. i wasn't going to abandon my child and leave him fatherless because she was a flake.

I moved to FL had to stay away from the club scene and the reasons why she left YES IT was MY FAULT but I wanted to do better. I was over qualified for many basic fast food chain jobs and no car meant no mgmt. Back to KFC i went as a cook, then Benagins as a server.

Since i've moved on to elderly care and a cna wiping shit and piss getting hit and bitten by patients and yelled at by mgmt. for 8-9 an hour picking up extra hours when I could. Now I care for one old lady that pays me well and requires little more than a friend and a cook.

My middle sister lost her husband to a drunk driver he was the sole bread winner for their family of 4 one kid is now 19 and getting married the other 17 and learning to do everything she can to provide and help her mom around the house including care for my father who has now developed some health issues over the years from drinking and drugging. My sisters house is always filled with laughter and love though even if times are tight more often than not as she is working 6-7 days a week to make sure it is that way.

My youngest sister believes she is better than anyone in our family as she was spoiled by my moms mom and sheltered from the realities of life. She does the same work I do for much less, she has a loser husband that is just like our father was and her kids are on the verge of becoming wards of the state. This from the only high school graduate of my parents 3 kids.

the way the economy is thanks in part to the current and past potus and congressional stooges sometimes a job at mcDonalds is all thats really available as so many are over or under qualified for much else. Finding options and ways out are not always possible, But you wouldn't know that because you don't know everyones situations before YOU so blatantly pass judgement on them.

the way the economy is thanks in part to the current and past potus and congressional stooges sometimes a job at mcDonalds is all thats really available as so many are over or under qualified for much else. Finding options and ways out are not always possible, But you wouldn't know that because you don't know everyones situations before YOU so blatantly pass judgement on them.

The difference is you accepted responsibility for the situation you had put yourself and moved on. Some really just are "ok" in the situation because it is getting them by.

When people get hungry enough inside, the chance to make money is abundant. It just takes true will and dedication. Something most do not have. Working 76 hours a week is not either of those.

This is a very complicated topic. I myself, am pragmatic. A better explanation, I'm a conservative with liberal tendencies. I believe in survival of the fittest. Pro Capitalist. I also believe minimum wage should go up and the bottom dollar should be distributed more evenly. I feel doing so would reduce poverty and reciprocate a decrease in crime. On the other hand, I can not stand people who abuse the system--I have known many who do. Do I think the guy handing me my hamburger should make what I make? No!

If you can't afford to have children, DON'T! Eventually everything would work itself out.

Something i ran into, after my first divorce (yes it was eq related lol) i moved back home. I was almost not able to get a job in my home area because they saw what i had made in the past and looked at my education. They were discriminating against me because of my past income and my education which hurt lol its like i bust my ass to get some education and get a decent job and now i am unemployable because of that lol. The way i finally got a job, i took off my education and lowered the income of my past jobs and i was able to get a job then.

I got so many, we will give you a call i finally would just point blank ask them when they told me this if that was the case or not. If your not going to hire me don't give me hope and act like you are. They finally started admitting the reason they wouldn't hire me was because i was too educated and made too much money in the past and didn't think i would stay and would find a better job eventually. I wasn't trying to get rich i just wanted to pay my bills and put food on the table lol.