LoN Protector Deck

Sadge

Sexy Shoeless God of War
Reaction score
Okay, here's one of my protector decks that I use to win scenarios in LoN:

Code:
Avatar - Custom Dwarf Fighter (Special: Pay 1 power and ready one unit)

Here I go for defense since I won't be questing. I have 1 attack and 3 defense. The special comes in handy in certain scenarios or if I'm using a special card to heal or damage (see units).

Quests:
Level 2 - Fire Beetle Eyes (5F35)
5F35.jpg

This is the most important one, and the one you'll spend most time defending. In most scenarios, the computer will stay away from this quest if there's a protector there (unless he has a level 3 or higher ability, in which case he'll go after this quest unless there's at least 2 or more protectors here). Usually the computer will go for the other quest until the level 6 quest, then he usually tries to finish this quest regardless of the number of protectors.

Level 4 - Recovering Ivan's Remains (1U232) "When a player completes this quest, he destorys all units at this quest"

You shouldn't get to this one at all, but just in case, finishing off the quest will kill off all of the opposing units for you.

Level 5 - Vengeful Musicians (1U236) "When this quest is played, each player deals 1 damage to one of his own units."

Once again, not anything I would expect to get to. I use this one because I use it in my "No Units" decks where I need all the damage to the opposing units that I can get.

Level 6 - Cleansing the Corrupted (5F31)
5F31.jpg

I make special note of this card because it's tremendously helpful in "No Units" decks. All items and abilities go into the computer's hand. If it comes out at the right time, the computer will have to discard some of his cards.

Abilities:

4x Disable (1U242) "When you play this ability destroy an opposing ability"

A must have ability. You won't be questing with this deck, but you need to be able to destroy and special abilities on the computer (One example is an ability that destroys an item of yours when the opposing avatar becomes exerted -- get that one destroyed otherwise you may lose any defense of special items you have).

(OPTIONAL) 2x Blessed Aid (1C11) "When you play this ability you may search your deck for an item card and take it into your hand."

I have 2 of these just in case I haven't pulled an item card that I want. That's all it's really for in this deck.

Tactics:

4x Sunder (1U274)
1U274.jpg

EVERY DECK NEEDS THESE 4 CARDS. It's very rare that the computer does not have at least one item you'll need to destroy. In some scenarios (especially Otahbound 14), you'll never survive without these cards or a similar card.

3x Wind Walk (1C56) "You get -1 total damage and +4 defense"

Especially early on when you're still getting your cards in place, it's good to have some extra defense.

Items (one of each unless otherwise noted):

Greaves of the Pious (1U36) "Pay 2 power and exert this item -> heal 1 damage on your avatar"

Pretty self explanatory - it only cost 1 power to play and later on you should have enough power for the 2 power cost to heal yourself it need be.

Fippy's Paw (1U256) "At the start of your quest phase, gain 1 power"

I have this one just in case I need it to get to the power staff (see below)

Rage Filled Gem (1F13) "Your avatar and all your units get +1 attack and +2 damage bonus"

This is a killer card if it comes out of your deck later in the game (cost of 7 power to play). If you couple it some of the unit cards I have below than you can deal heavy amounts of damage each turn (I usually cause 9 damage to the opposing avatar while defending).

4x Bloodwine Cask (2F24) "At the start of your quest phase, put a token on this item. Exert and destory this item -> gain 1 power for each token on this item."

More power = good. I use this to get my power staff out early or to play the Rage Filled Gem.

Militia War Horse (4U133) "Whenever you exert this item for defense, deal 1 damage to an opposing unit combatant. (While fighting) Exert this item -> deal 1 damage to an opposing unit combatant."

You're not going to be fighting against units with your Avatar much, so this card is pretty optional (except for the extra defense while the opposing avatar attacks you). I just like this card a lot.

Ring of Celestial Harmony (4R135) "At the start of your turn (before you gain power), if you have any unspent power, put a token on this item. Destroy this item -> gain 1 power for each token on this item."

Once again optional, but I like to have a lot of power and this only cost 1 power to play. Later on there are scenarios that have quests that give you 3 power at the start of your opponent's phase (which means as long as you don't use tactics, you'll put a token on this card).

4x Silverwing Cloak (4C138)
4C138.jpg

This card depends on the situation. I have 4 so I can increase the chance of pulling it early. In some cases, the computer can pull cards out of his discard pile to play against you at no cost. This makes sure you won't have to worry about that. Plus you can carry less cards and not worry about running out.

4x Wayfarer's Bread (4F26) "Play this item exerted. Exert and destroy this item -> Heal 2 damage on your avatar or one of your units."

Heal avatar = good. In a lot of cases there's not a lot of chances to heal your avatar (and depending on your draw, you may encounter serious damage before you are able to stop it).

Barkleather Cap (5C139) "Exert this item and discar a card -> You get +3 total defense."

Invaluable against avatars that attack you a lot. Couple it with the Silverwing Cloak and you won't have to worry too much about discarding a card.

Shimmering Topaz Crystal (5F29)
5F29.jpg

Possibly my favorite card, especially if I can get it out early. Never worry about power again! =)

Sarnak Staff of Glyphs (6R145) "All quests get +2 level"

Very handy for keeping the computer from finishing quests. Plus it has +2 attack in case you need the extra attack.

To be continued ....

Units:

4x Barbarian Butcher (1C276) "When you play this unit you may deal 1 damage to another unit at the same quest"

He only has one health, but he's a target card to keep the computer from damaging another card. Plus he has 3 defense which is really helpful, and he can damage another unit without fighting (which is what we're going for).

2x Dwarven Chanpion (1U293) "This unit gets +2 damage bonus while defending. (While light) This unit gets +2 damage bonus while attacking."

We're going for damage bonus here while the computer is trying to quest. +2 is very wicked (and pair it with the Rage filled Gem it becomes +4). Put one of these guys on each quest (there's really no need for more than 2 total).

4x Dwarven Cleric (1R294) "(While light) pay 1 power and exert this unit -> heal 1 damage on an avatar"

This little guy only costs 1 power to play and can heal your avatar, so he's extremely useful. He only has 1 health, so he's a target by the computer, but in most cases he will stay up in favor of destroying a barbarian butcher.

4x Dwarven Gladiator (PROTECTOR) (1C295)
1C295.jpg

This is your cheapie protector. Use him early while you build up power to play your other ones. It goes without saying, but never exert this card to take advantage of the protector status.

2x Firiona Vie (1R305)
1R305.jpg

You can get away with not having her, but she makes it so easy. Never exert her, no matter if you think you should or not. If you have multiple units out, you can spread the damage around and she'll heal them all the next turn. I carry 2 just in case something happens to one (also increases the chance it'll come out earlier).

4x Orc Enforcer (PROTECTOR) (1C328)
1C328.jpg

This is tricky because of faction. The rest of the deck is light so if you're light faction, you'll deal 2 damage to yourself trying to get these cards out. Otherwise try to play them early. Once FV heals 1 damage on your cards each turn, you can use the special to add extra damage to the opposing avatar when he tries to quest. It goes without saying, but never exert this card to take advantage of the protector status.

4x Vigilant Dwarf (PROTECTOR) (1C346)
1C346.jpg

This guy is your biggest protector and really requires you to be light faction so he will have 4 health. It goes without saying, but never exert this card to take advantage of the protector status.

4x Watchful Dwarf (PROTECTOR) (1U349)
1U349.jpg

Another cheap protector (cost of 3 power to play means he can come out your first turn). He has better defense than the gladiator (he has 3 defense), which makes him more of a target from the computer over the gladiator (since they both have 2 health).

4x Moon Shaman (1F19)
1F19.jpg

Cards that heal other cards = good. Before you can get FV out, these cards will keep you healthy.

4x Bixie Venomguard (6C167) "Exert this unit and deal 1 damage to it -> deal 1 damage to all opposing units at the same quest."

This is a great card in this deck. Put 2 on each side and blast away. Since you'll never raid (because of Fire Beetle Eyes) and the computer won't either, this is a great way to get rid of any units on the other side of the quest. Couple it with FV whi will heal this card every turn and you have an unstoppable killing machine.

1x Shu Fang Qi (5P4) "Whenever you exert this unit for defense, add its damage bonus to your total damage"

This is another killer card. He has +2 damage bonus and +4 defense (which is usually enough for any avatar). Just using this guy for defense gives you +3 total damage. Add the dwarven champion (+2 damage bonus), andyou've done +5 total damage to the avatar. Add Rage Filled Gem (above) and the total damage become +9. Not many avatars can withstand that kind of damage.

4x Coilwork Spitter (6P26) "At the start of your turn deal one damage to this unit. Whenever this unit becomes ready deal 1 damage to an opposing unit."

These cards came from the new scenario that's going on now. I added them for fun. They don't go out until FV is out to heal them every turn. Then they just add to defense and at the start of my turn (when they become ready), I can deal 1 damage to another unit. It's just another way to kill the other units without fighting and is optional.

There you have it. I believe that that is 74 cards, which is a little high, but workable. You could trim the fat a little if you desire. I tweak this congifuration based on archtype (fighter, mage, etc), but it's basically the same all the way around. For all but the "You must quest to win" scenarios, this deck will usually lead to some easy victories, depending on the draw. Speaking of which ...

When I start a game, depending on the quest the computer play, if I don't have a protector that's 3 or less available to play, I may start over (it all depends on the scenario). If I get Fippy's Paw (+1 power) at the start I will probably play that so i can play Vigilant Dwarf (cost of 4 power) on the next turn. As long as the computer plays an ability of 2 or less, he'll stay away from Fire Beetle Eyes when you havea protector there. The computer does stay away from Vigilant Dwarf more than the other protectors so if you have 1 of those on the other quest and only 2 or 3 "cheap" protectors at Fire Beetle Eyes, the computer will go after Fire Beetle Eyes instead of the Vigilant Dwarf. Once you get FV out, it's clear sailing towards home because you never have to exert a card for defense if you don't want to.

Don't be afraid to let the computer finish a quest or 2 (or 3). It'll mean more power to you and you'll be able to stop him with the protectors. He'll be powerless since he won't raid at all due to the Fire Beetle Eyes quest. (I have only on a rare occasion seen the computer go after me when FBE quest is up, and that's usually only when he can heal himself right away).

I think that's it. Happy hunting and any questions let me know.

Awesome LoN Guide Bro! Im going to work on trying to build this deck!!

Thanks for your work on this man!

*Mod can we get this moved into the Cheats and Guides forum?*

What would you think about replacing Sunder

with Demolish (4R154) ?

There's a new expansion out today, isn't there? Stormbreak?

I enjoy the scenarios, even if I am not very good. Also the cost of cards puts me off..

True, its a reality check when your dropping money on these "cards" that really exist nowhere except in cyberspace.

At least back in the day when I played MTG we had real cards that you could collect and put in cool little plastic baggies.

Clever SOE money machine does it again tho.

I was able to beat just about anything on hard with a similar deck to the one above. Very nice work!

Do you have one for quests only?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes I have a "No Units" deck that is for scenarios where you *have* to quest. Between those 2 decks I can pretty much do any scenario.

I do have multiples of each deck (some have more defense, or less defense, or similar variations), but I mainly stick to either this deck or the simple "No Units" deck.

Maybe I'l post one of my No Unit decks here (as you can image, it just takes a little time to post).

What would you think about replacing Sunder

with Demolish (4R154) ?

No good in most situations.

The most times you really *need* to dispose of a weapon item on an avatar. The worst of all these scenarios is Oathbound 14 (which I think you're past). The scourge blade that the avatar has will destroy you unless you can get it off him ASAP.

I completely believe that you need 4 sunders, but if you can't get the sunders, I'd go for extra defense to absorb some of the damage from an avatar.

What expansion are those recommended cards from? I searched my 2300 cards and many I don't have.

Scooby2006,

For each card, I've listed it's card number (1U274, for example for Sunder). The first number will tell you which expansion the card is from (in this case, it's from the 1st one -- Oathbreaker). The second (the letter) will tell you the rarity of the card (in this case, it's U ... or Uncommon). The last part simply is the card number in the series (Sunder is the 274th card in the Oathbreak series).

C=Common
U=Uncommon
P=Promo (usually seasonal cards)
UR=Ultra Rare (good luck on these)
F=Fixed (usually part of a starter deck, sometimes scenario rewards)

I think that's all the letter designations, but someone feel free to correct me if I've forgotten (I'm doing this from memory atm and not looking at anything to remind me).

Oh -- and I am not a LoN expert by any means.

This is just a deck that works for me. Your own playing style will determine what kind of deck you put together.

This deck simply works good against the computer. I've not played it against another player, but I'm sure they'd probably see what you're doing weel ahead of time and try and head you off before you could get started.

I found a bunch of them came from the Legendary Digital Starter Pack.

I know this is a super old post but im trying to get my LON collection to my computer so i can view it offline, how do i take pictures like on this thread , there big i cant find a website with all the cards in them for me to download any help here be appreciated

You can actually use the PRT SCRN function of Windows on your computer to copy what is on your screen to the clipboard. Use your favorite graphics editor to paste the screen shot and then "cut" the cards out and then resize them to the size that you want them and save them. Hope this helps.

this link explains it a little:

http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/print-screen/

Last edited:
Just FYI -- the site that i got these cards from is outdated, and I couldn't even find all the cards on it then.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that LoN has taken off to the point where there's a lot of sites devoted to it.

You're probably going to have to do them yourself using the method mentioned above.

dont forget that now some of the first expension not work for win i think that is not cool but they give 5 booster per month now with an eq valid suscription ;
personaly i use a generic deck and change only avatar for different colour i do only seasonal scenar ;

Sadge, coming to you again as the resident LoN expert!

What was your strat for beating that stupid ass underfoot scenario where it forces you to use the Archeologist deck? I been trying to get my potions out of that guy with no luck yet!