Intel Core i7 CPU

Copycat

Reaction score
Thoughts about this processor. I scored a 920 for 239.99$.

So far I can load up 12 clients on the new computer I built with it without any lag and less than 15 second zone-times per client.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_3[/ame]

920 was released november 17th, 2008.

The most recent i7 to be created is the I7-975 Extreme Edition, clocking at 3.33ghz per core, quad core. 975 will be released May, 31st, 2009.

I have the phenom black 9850 and a 4870, I get 1700 fps with performance test.

"PerformanceTest by PassMark™ Software"

my friend has the i7, im kinda glad i saved the money, it doesn't out preform my new computer by that much, but the price does.

I stuck it in an asus board with automatic overclocking abilities. It's fuckin rad.

The stock fan fucking blows. i7 is backwards compatible as either a toaster, or a space heater -D

If you plan on getting one of these (especially the i7), spend some more on a good cpu cooler.

The stock fan fucking blows. i7 is backwards compatible as either a toaster, or a space heater -D

If you plan on getting one of these (especially the i7), spend some more on a good cpu cooler.
Quite typical, of any manufacturer. There are quite a few who will never find stock to be adequate, for any number of reasons.

AMD's phenom stock cooler wasn't to bad, but I havn't been to happy with much of anything else lol. For me, the stock cooler on an i7 idle'd at 70c. That's at normal speed with no OC'ing. With a few EQ accounts up, it went up to 85c. I wasn't about to test it with prime95. Anyhow a couple days later I picked up a chillTec and brought the temp down 45c idle, and 55c with EQ loaded. OC'd up to 3.4ghz was 55c idle, and 85c prime95 stable.

To me the i7 probably wasn't worth the money. It may have been better to go with an AMD quad, but I picked it because I'm impulsive, lol. The i7 at normal stock settings is pretty kew. It will overclock itself a bit when needed and will underclock outself when idle. Each core has 2 threads, and in windows it looks like you have 8 cores, but it's lyin! My computer runs extremely smooth, but it's not a miracle chip by any means. One reason I did go with an i7, was because it uses a newer chipset LGA1366. I'm hoping this platform sticks around a while. I'm almost certain intel will keep it around about as long as the 775. So figure down the road I'll be able to swab a new chip in my board.

However, if you're looking to save a buck, go with AMD. Alot of their items are backwards compatible with older parts. Just read up on it 1st. You can upgrade almost in pieces.

for the extra 40$ you spend I think the I7 is worth the extra cost. I cannt remember what my temps with stock heat ran. Now I am running 40c at idle and about 57 under stress test using Everest.

maybe we should get some benchmarks in this thread to see difference in scores we are running i7 vs phenom

for the extra 40$ you spend I think the I7 is worth the extra cost. I cannt remember what my temps with stock heat ran. Now I am running 40c at idle and about 57 under stress test using Everest.

maybe we should get some benchmarks in this thread to see difference in scores we are running i7 vs phenom
That would be cool. tomshardware.com has plenty, but some here would be nice (screencaps lol).

And aztec, windows is not lying about showing 8 proc stats. Each of the four cores can process up to two threads simultaneously, so the processor appears to the OS as eight CPUs.

htw

three accounts running im at 37c. with my phenom, if we are going to bench test im going to over clock it more =P

three accounts running im at 37c. with my phenom, if we are going to bench test im going to over clock it more =P

Have to remember they have different heat tolerances, so the temp itself isnt all that is a factor..

Yah, but in reality it's 1 core working 2 threads. So in a way I guess we're both right. Multi thread was attempted about 4 years ago?, and it didn't work out too well, but it was just way ahead of its time. Now a days, we have a more effective OS and other applications that will take advantage of it. I'm hoping the new windows will take it farther.

My rig is an i7 920 on an Asus p6t with corsiar 1600mhz ram (slower lats 9 rather than 7s, 7s cost a shitton more) running in tripple channel with 2 4850s in crossfire. I play EQ which this is overkill for, and Left 4 Dead. lol

Yah, but in reality it's 1 core working 2 threads. So in a way I guess we're both right. Multi thread was attempted about 4 years ago?, and it didn't work out too well, but it was just way ahead of its time. Now a days, we have a more effective OS and other applications that will take advantage of it. I'm hoping the new windows will take it farther.

My rig is an i7 920 on an Asus p6t with corsiar 1600mhz ram (slower lats 9 rather than 7s, 7s cost a shitton more) running in tripple channel with 2 4850s in crossfire. I play EQ which this is overkill for, and Left 4 Dead. lol

:D:D

Yes, it is one core with 2 threads. Still, having 4 physical cores & 4 logical cores, will end up being better overall in a SMT setup where the OS supports it (windows xp+ for MS world). As far as it "not working out too well then", I guess we have to agree to disagree. ;)

If the scheduler is SMP / SMT capable, and knows the difference (i.e., which cores are real, and which are logical only), then you will get a speed increase by the OS being able to schedule threads on the cores to improve performance. However, there are times (OS or claimed "multi-threading" applications), would slow down (you don't really see that any more, unless you are running some kind of legacy software). Usually it would be because the MT software, would not differentiate between physical & logical cores, which is a mistake in the design intention of HTT.

Intel did not drop the HTT off the Core 2 because of performance/design reasons in the regard mentioned. It did so, based on the core design model the Core 2 was based off of (yonah). The i7 (nehalem+) and atom architectures were built from the beginning with quite a few differences, and HTT was one of those.

Whether HTT adds performance (and how much) depends entirely on how the OS/software thread schedulers work, but if they are designed properly to take advantage of it, there will always be some kind of boost (3 to 30% typically), depending on the various factors within that software - which is also why certain types of software gain more boost than others

I'm not saying a quad core with HTT, is equivalent to a 8 core cpu... not at all. I'm just saying, where given a choice, I would prefer to have it, as not.

htw

Hey guys, hate to bump a thread, but i just got given a "AMD Phenom 8650 X3".

Reading some reviews, and it seems to be a completely crap processor. From what im reading, its equivilent to FORD super glueing a tyre to the side of a car and saying the extra wheel makes it better? E.g the extra core is a waste of space, marketing thing.

I know enough to match compatability and build my own computers from scratch, but nearly any idiot can do that these days. Saving up to build a pretty decent gaming PC, around 1500$ (considering i can get some stuff cheap! ).

basically im asking, Dual, triple or Quad? whats the "best" option for a gaming PC. And the age-old .. Intel, or AMD :p ive only used AMD so far, and had no problems with around 7 PC builds.

Krugerr

No problem minus the quad core thats only a tri core. But thats been known for awhile! shame on you.

It really depends on what you are playing game wise. If its limited to say EQ you do not really need more then a q6600 and a quality video card. Any more is just bragging rights.

If you want to play some of the newer single player games you could kick the processor up a level or two.

The new AMDs are nice and run comparatively vs the core i-7s at about 200$ cheaper for a good pc build. If you do any encoding dvd to mp3 or rip music the I7 is faster in those benchmarks.

Give us a little more to work with. Games you play, what style of computing you do(what you use it for/do with it). Another thing to take into consideration is ambient temp in the room your Comp will be. I think the new I7 run hotter then the AMD. Heat to me does play a factor.

will be EQ again probably when i get around to it, photoshop and music. i do want some bragging rights with this one though. as ive had to skimp on other due to bad cash flow haha.

well ventilated room, and im a freak for cooling, i havent played with water cooling yet however !

<3 JJ

920 core i 7 / asus p6t deluxe / 12 gigs ram

Video you can go 2 ways gtx 295 or the 4870x2. I have had both and the 4870x2 ran eq better but then again the gtx 295 was brand new and drivers sucked. They have gotten better.

those items would put you around 1000ish. Leaving 500 for hd/dvd/heatsink/case

Ok, using a setup that JJ suggested, i came up with this here as a final "thing" ... but thats £1056, assuming i was to buy from http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/general-chat/www.overclockers.co.uk ive made each of the items linkable back to their website. But can anyone suggest something i can sub out to cut a little off the price? i really wanna keep this high performance though. And as for the case, i already have one that ive modded with cold cathodes and LED fans etc.

Thank you muchly !!!

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001KNAUVU/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE] Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz [/ame] ~ £229

Asus P6T Deluxe v2 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) ~ £220

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 ~ £243

OCZ Platinum 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 Low-Voltage Triple Channel ~ £110

950W XPower GTX Extreme ATX PSU ~ £99

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache ~ £68

Lol, buying the exact same things on Newegg.com reduces it to around £850.
Much more respectable figure :p

**EDIT**

They dont deliver outside US, Canada or china ! bullcrap :(
anyone know any websites that deliver to Uk and arnt as expensive as overclockers?