If you had to guess, how much of the EQ population uses MQ?

do any of the developers here have any guesstimated rough estimates?

To do that, the devs would have to have an idea how the game is being played.While most of the devs are hardworking guys trying their best, I don't think they are really familiar with how the game is actually played now.

So unless they have packet sniffers doing a far better job than we expect ID'ing active MQ users, I doubt they would really have a decent guesstimate other than 'a lot'

This is the only thing I have ever seen with EQ numbers past 2004. How accurate it is who knows and it stops at 2007 with EQ1 at about 175 k subscribers..

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

Also remember the EQ Facebook XP weekend promo only gathered about 14 k people and some change.

Last edited:
This is the only thing I have ever seen with EQ numbers past 2004. How accurate it is who knows and it stops at 2007 with EQ1 at about 175 k subscribers..

Also remember the EQ Facebook XP weekend promo only gathered about 14 k people and some change.

A lot of the people that "liked" that status were people who don't play and people asking their friends who never heard of the game to like it so they could get the xp bonus :p (quoting from experience here).

All of you people saying 70% are crazy, or just don't remember that there are people on your server that aren't in UF level raid guilds. I've been in guilds with a % that high before (Hi FNF,) but there's no way at all that overall usage levels are that high.

I would say no more than 20% and honestly I think it's probably more like 15% or even less.

Just because you aren't in a UF raid guild doesn't mean you don't use it lol. I'm not in a raid guild but I use it!

A lot of the people that "liked" that status were people who don't play and people asking their friends who never heard of the game to like it so they could get the xp bonus :p (quoting from experience here).

I totally agree which means I think the total active EQ Subscription base is A LOT LOWER than most people think. Hence the server mergers.

Last edited:
i know a lot of people who compile their own and do not use this website. so imo there are way more people out there using than people realize. a lot of people are using it that some dont even know about and then others using it that you probably wouldnt expect to be using it.

15-20% seems too low to me. i could be wrong and i have been wrong before, but that # just strikes me as awfully low.

and EQ does NOT have 12k active subs, much less 18k. i do not believe that for one second. try under 10k subs, much much less than 10k.

each server probably has 200-250 or so (give or take) -active- players playing on avg. id be willing to bet that even maelin has under 1000 active subs.

so there are what? 24 servers right now? or 25? by my math there would be roughly 6250 active subs, give or take. eq isnt exactly flourishing and in great shape right now, i thought that was obvious.

I'd have to disbagree with your numbers. 200 to 250 active subs per server? Wow no... lol if active subs were that low on each server you would see very few people in pok / guild lobby during prime time raid time.

And you also have to remember not everyone plays at the same time as you. 200 to 250 active subs is probably closer to the number of active players during off hours of playtime.

I'd say during prime time on average there is more like 800 people at least! I know on my server one of my friends is raiding with 40 different people in the raid (no boxes allowed on raids in his guild), and there would be at least 100 people in PoK. Even if 50% of those people in pok were boxing that is only considering two zones in the entire game during prime time raid time. Also my friend is not in one of the 3 top end raiding guilds on my server, and you know the top end raiding guilds are going to have at least 40 to 60 active players in order to be a top end raiding guild, probably more.

So my guess is more like 1200+ active subs per server. There are indeed 25 servers currently, so that would make it 30k active subs. If we factored in boxes and just guessed that 50% had at least one box that is still 15k actual players and honestly I think that is low, I dont think 50% of the population boxes.

With that said if we assumed 15k actual players, we have 1200ish active subscribers here, lets say only 800 actively played. And just guess around 400 other people that actively play compile their own from Macroquest2.com, thats 1200, or 8% if the 15k players was accurate (which as I said I think it's higher meaning the % would be lower).

That would be my guess! :)

Last edited:
Might be interesting to start a new thread with a quick census taking just a snapshot Guild lobby/Bazaar/PoK /who

and post info like this from a mule on 7th Hammer

June 16, 2010 5:30pm EST
POK 15
GL 88
Baz 113

Total 216

This is mostly afk. How many are boxing though?

Last edited:
and EQ does NOT have 12k active subs, much less 18k. i do not believe that for one second. try under 10k subs, much much less than 10k.

each server probably has 200-250 or so (give or take) -active- players playing on avg. id be willing to bet that even maelin has under 1000 active subs.

so there are what? 24 servers right now? or 25? by my math there would be roughly 6250 active subs, give or take. eq isnt exactly flourishing and in great shape right now, i thought that was obvious.
If you think there are only 200 active subscriptions on a server, you are loony. If there were only 200 active subs a server, EQ would be getting shut down.

There are at least 70 guilds atm that have beaten at least one underfoot raid. I would be shocked if each of those guilds did not have at least 50 subscriptions. That's 3500 subscriptions right there. So you're saying that more than 50% of all players are in underfoot capable raid guilds?...

edit: I just checked general chat for a dozen servers (at 3:44pm pst) and none of them have less than 160 people in general. Saying there are 200 active subscriptions a server would be implying that even on the lowest server I checked that 2/3 of the active players are both on AND in general chat at four in the afternoon...

I totally agree which means I think the total active EQ Subscription base is A LOT LOWER than most people think. Hence the server mergers.
You also have to keep in mind that plenty of people who DO play EQ didn't like it on facebook. I have a dozen EQ players added on facebook, and none of us hit like on EQ.

Last edited:

Those face book votes were very very skewed and invalid. Some people were voting multiple times and people were getting folks who didnt even play EQ to vote.

It reminds me of that skewed census thing that was going on over on EQLive.

Yes, the facebook numbers are way off. Many folks don't do facebook (I would guess that includes a lot of EQ players given the age dempographic), and the vast majority of players don't visit the EQ boards. I know that I never visited the SOE boards for my first seven years playing, only doing it when for one particular controversy someone posted on my class boards with some of the assinine stuff being spouted on the SOE forum.

That being said, 200 accounts per server is whacked. Most nights I see a second general chat channel being opened up, with maybe 240 total in general - and many players don't join general. The top three guilds alone on my server have aboiut 220 players (mains), plus who knows how many alts.

It would be intersting to take a snapshot of how many are in the more frequented zones during prime time. I could easily see 800-1220 players per server, with more alt accounts.

That being said, no idea how many use MQ2. 25%?

I have to disagree that less than 50% of players multibox. I don't raid so my opinion is based on group game and the people I meet along the way. I would say that at least 50% have more than 1 account that they log in with on a regular basis.

I agree with this, I honestly doubt its above 50, even in my guild most people are complete simpletons and possess so much suckage that they can't possibly be using any mq. :rolleyes:

Don't be so quick to discount those people, I know a couple in my guild who get lost going to PoK from the Lobby and I just recently found out they have been using MQ for about 3 years...

I doubt it's over 50% myself.
I'd bet that people claim 70% just to make themselves feel better about using it, when really it's a small margine.
And really, when we did polls on what servers people were on, we were hitting a whopping 29 people on some servers. I doubt that is anywhere near 50%.