Hi looking for a Emu server

gayknight

Reaction score
Long time EQ player, quit 2 years ago. But have the itch again. Looking for a server I can have run modbot or something like it and have my own group of 3 or more.
Plus looking for a server mildly populated and that has several of you guys on it. That way we could team up to get harder things done.

ez server and project 1999 are probably ur best bets.

I play on ez server if i had more time i would go with the other option.....that about sums it up unless someone can think of anything else to add. those are usually the two most populated servers.

What exactly is the difference of a EMU server and the regular servers? One is owned by sony, one is fake? I dont know the details...

free to play on with oudated and customeized code based off typically 1-2 expansions old. vs SOE pay version and patched by SOE

Thank you guys for the quick responses.
Does the EZ server allow boxing?
And does the 1999 server frown upon boxing or actually go after and out of their way to find and get rid of boxing.

1999 will ban you for boxing. First offense. And other players, some at least, WILL report you. They're kinda fanatical about it. Full disclosure: i used to sometimes box to PL a new toon but I always did it in the most faraway obscure zone I could, during off hours and I'd be careful about other players in the zone.

Plus I'm pretty good at pretending to be 2 people. Hehe.

People are likely to tattle on you if you're hogging a good camp, of course. If you are gonna box, be sure to keep a low low profile and try not to piss anyone off.

Plus, I'd give away free buffs and free rezzes with my cleric so nobody was out to "get" me. Rezzes are a big deal on old world servers since XP is hard to earn.

Boxing to PL a new toon, that's easy enough. Multi-boxing a high level group to pharm some popular named mob is the kiss of death to your accounts, eventually.

Actually, they won't even allow 2 accounts from the same IP unless you get a special exemption, like for husband-wife or 2 brothers playing. And, of course, once you apply for an exemption, I would think you're on a watch list.

Check the rules on EZ's website. I don't think they care about boxing...

Last edited:
My understanding is that using MQ on 1999 won't work for long, at least not for active hacks. They watch closely and unlike with Sony the unpaid GMs on 1999 do pay attention, check logs and will ban you tout-sweet if they detect any kind of MQ running. Story goes they can detect it even if you only use passive hacks although you'd need to check with more technically capable people to confirm or deny.

Some emu servers don't care, some actively encourage using MQ. You have to do your homework. Do some googling on eq emu servers and read their home pages and forums. It's some cool stuff out there done by very creative people who if they put their talents to "good" rather than "evil" might actually be able to make real money in this world. :rolleyes:

EZ server is fun and you can box and use macroquest mildly. Project99 to me, is as close to feeling like 1999 as you can. If you're going to use MQ you have to do it smartly. Don't warp, don't run directly to named mobs, don't set your run speed above 0.9 (unless you're level 50 then you can set speed to 1.0), don't do anything to get attention to you (ie auction off Levi cloaks or something).

I've been on proj99 sine July and since then leveled three characters to 50 and two boxed under thus radar so to speak. Don't two box on a camp, a player will always come out, sit around and watch you for a bit, don't two box at a zone line and you should be fine. If a GM zones in, log one of your Alts off. I box up to four now during off peak times, fire giants and what not. Get an IP exemption if you can, or get some high speed IP programs or an air card.

My understanding is that using MQ on 1999 won't work for long, at least not for active hacks. They watch closely and unlike with Sony the unpaid GMs on 1999 do pay attention, check logs and will ban you tout-sweet if they detect any kind of MQ running. Story goes they can detect it even if you only use passive hacks although you'd need to check with more technically capable people to confirm or deny.

Some emu servers don't care, some actively encourage using MQ. You have to do your homework. Do some googling on eq emu servers and read their home pages and forums. It's some cool stuff out there done by very creative people who if they put their talents to "good" rather than "evil" might actually be able to make real money in this world. :rolleyes:

SoE GM's get paid (most if not all)..