GPU questions

eltai

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So my wandering lifestyle for work looks like it is going to be coming to a close finally after over 5 years (at least for the next 3-4 years). As such I am looking to build up a new desktop and I have fallen behind on some of the times and tech out there (particularly SLI as I haven't really had the option to put multiple GPUs into laptops).

The majority of my gaming is EQ though some RTS and TBS games with a dose of FPS for those days where I just want to kill something. I also do a fair amount of biological modeling though most of this is not going to be GPU intensive and as such will be pushing more CPU and ram into the machine to support this type of work.

As far as GPU options, would I be better off for this type of gaming going with for example something like the Titan (6 gb) or SLId 780 TIs (3 GB). This is just an example as the two options would be around the same price point.

Cheers,
Eltai

Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews

They just did their build choices for best builds for the $$.

They also have done a lot of reviews for different high end cards. This should give you an idea of what to expect its gaming and compute performance.

You should have no problems running EQ on a $200+ card.

titan or sli 780 ti is massive overkill!

I game with a 770 and I play at a high resolution (2560x1440).

Why do you think you need such GPU power? are you running 4 displays or something?

He's wanting to run GPU calculations. Think scientific bit coin calculations.

Two 290x Toxics! YAY FOR FUN CAUSE I CAN!

I think I did alright, I got 2 for 725 when they first hit newegg. I believe they are still over 500 each right now.

Besides all the mining paid for everything! Yay free money. God damn house was hot for a while though.... o_O

Wasn't necessarily locked at that price point, was using it as an example as 780 TI was about 700, and the titan was about 1400. Was just a video ram comparison question that I used at that point. As far as graphics I know the cards are overkill for EQ, just wasn't sure as far as performance if I am better off with 2 SLId 2 gb cards or 1 4 gb card if the price is double for the 4gb card for example.

My son plays on 2 270x. Max settings on rift with plenty of fps.

Personally, I'd go for a single card over SLI if you aren't doing something that really needs SLI. There are still a ton of games these days that don't really support SLI fully meaning you are just wasting money on the extra card.

Also, for what you said you wanted to play, you definitely don't need anything super powerful. If you are building something right now and want to spend money on a titan, then more power to you, but you'd be more than fine with just a single 770 or 780.

However if I were you and you were willing to keep playing on whatever laptop you have now for a few months, the 800 series are going to be a descent jump in efficiency, using less energy and producing less heat, and being more powerful. The only problem is, they haven't set a concrete release date on them yet. It's rumored they are coming out before the holidays this year, although they might come out with the 28nm chipset if they com out then. Ore they might be coming out first quarter of next year, if they come out then they will most likely be on the 20nm chipset.

Last edited:
Thanks Dev may keep that in mind not building the system right this moment and would likely be august or later before I even get into building anything up and would likely. Be doing it as the move in to a stable location happens which would be between august and January depending on visas and if more funding comes in or not. Honestly was not wanting to spend that kind of money just wasn't sure about performance differences in cards v slid cards.

I'd rather get a single card. Less stuff to go wrong. If you find you don't have enough performance you can still add another GPU. Just make sure you get a PS that can run two cards.

Any thoughts on Radeon vs Nvidia chips?

I'd never buy ATI ever again. I gave them a chance in my current computer and it was plagued with problems I ended up selling it on ebay to some sucker. Now back to using Nvidia.

I have had bad luck every time I've used AMD products. I'm sure it's not like this for everyone who uses AMD products.

gotta go with wunaye on this. over the years, have gone back and forth, and I ended up some years back just going with nvidia for good (*ahem* amd *cough*).

At any rate, that's just my experience, to each their own.

Another thing to keep in mind is who the OEM is for your card, so you get a good warranty, support, etc. (I had a shitty experience with EVGA, for example).

htw

Over the past few years for mining or gaming i've purchased over 40 AMD Sapphire cards. No issues.

My son plays on 2 270x. Max settings on rift with plenty of fps.

until you get into a zone event boss and target the boss because the game engine has a huge flaw when it comes to calculating how many people are targeting 1 mob. Played the game from release until last year and the lag on them events is horrid if you target the boss you can barely move but if you dont target him no lag at all.

I have never experienced this on EQ, but my son has minimal lag on rift, even during zone boss fights.

Last edited:
I have never experienced this on EQ, but my son has minimal lag on rift, even during zone boss fights.

It looked like he was talking about in rift when you target da boss. Not EQ.