Fantasy books

devestator

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some new stuff to read / listen (I do audoibooks most of the time) to. Anyone got any suggestions?

Here is what I've read, and reread in some cases.
Wheel of Time saga (waiting on the final book)
Sword of Truth saga
A large chunk of Fogotten Realms
Harry Potter
So you want to be a wizard (a little toward the younger reader but not bad books)
The Mistborn Trilogy (In November a new book is coming out based in the same world but 300 years after the last book, so that will be a good read then)
Eragon trilogy (I know that there is a 4th book coming out to this but no idea when it's due)

I know that I could go back to some of the Forgotten Realms books that I haven't read but honestly the series was starting to bore me.

Mistborn trilogy is the most recent one I read (just finished it a few minutes ago actually which is why I'm posting this). I must say it may be my favorite series ever. It would be difficult to choose between it and The Wheel of Time series. Brandon Sanderson is an extremely talented fantasy author.

I'm thinking about picking up The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Only thing I don't like about it is it's only book 1 of what Brandon plans to be a large series to rival The Wheel of Time. So that means lots of downtime and waiting between new books in the series, can be kind of annoying depending on how much closure each book in the series has. You go on to read other stuff and then don't remember the story properly when the next comes out so have to reread it lol.

Just wanted to see if anyone new of any other nuggets out there that were already complete or had a few books out at least. I really like Fantasy books involving magic, or magic like things (Mistborn wasn't really magic but magic like). Someone recommended Throne of Kings to me once and I picked up the first book and just couldn't get interested in it.

I don't read much at all...

but when I was a teenager, long time ago, The Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks was one of the only series that really hooked me.

The Sillmarillion is the best fantasy book ive ever read.

I had to read it twice though, cause the first time i didnt understand the format and quit 100 pages in. (it reads like a historical account moreso than a story)

It's more sci-fi than fantasy, I guess, but I'm having a ton of fun with the Ender's Game series (one is a four book series starting with Ender's Game, and there's another four book series called Shadow of Ender or something like that).

Also, if you're into castles and shit, the Game of Thrones series is freaking awesome (even if the author has no problems whatsoever killing off characters you grow to like lol). The fifth book just came out, and there's one more at least coming eventually (who knows when, though).

I am currently on the 5th book in the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R R Martin. I really enjoyed the first 3 books which were fantastic. The 4th and 5th books are ok, but it seems like one mini story (character) ends and 2 more start. It's very possible that their will be many more books in the series, but if he takes another 5 years to release book 6, he will lose a ton of readers. The problem is once you have read the first 3 books you will want to read the 4th, 5th and 6th (one day).

Before you commit to reading them, check out the HBO series, "A Game of Thrones", which is closely based on the first book of the series.

Last edited:
A nice light fare would be the Hollow Series by Kim Harrison. I think there are 9 books so far in the series (though I've not read the 9th yet). I'd also recommend starting from book 1 so you don't miss plot developments. ))

Hmm, I think "A Game of Thrones" is what I meant in my first post when I said a Throne of Kings. Dunno where throne of kings came from but could've sworn that was the title.

I'll have to find where I downloaded it and check and see, but if it's the one I couldn't get interested in the first 2 hours of it that I listened to. If I remember correctly the one I'm thinking of started off with a couple of men talking on a battlefield and then talking about someone not being there that was supposed to be or something like that...

A subject near and dear to my heart.

If you like banterish fantasy, try The Pawn of Prophecy (Book 1 of The Belgariad 5 books + The Mallorean 5 books + 3 solo books) by David Eddings.
If you like meaty epic fantasy with differing social classes, try The Runelords (Book 1 of The Saga of the Runelords 6 books and going) by David Farland.
If you like somewhat esoteric teen level fantasy, try A Wizard of Earthsea (Book 1 of Earthsea series 4 books) by Ursula K LeGuin.
If you like campy, punny fantasy, try The Colour of Magic (Book 1 of the Discworld series 26 books) by Terry Pratchett or A Spell for Chameleon (Book 1 of the Xanth series 23 books) by Piers Anthony.
If you like Tolkienish fantasy, try The Sword of Shannara (Book 1 of the Shannara Series 3 books + 4 other trilogies set in the world) by Terry Brooks.
If you like combat oriented romantic fantasy, try Sword Dancer (Book 1 of Sword Dancer series 4 books) by Jenifer Roberson.
If you like epic political fantasy, try A Game of Thrones (Book 1 of A Song of Fire and Ice 5 books ongoing) by George R.R. Martin or Furies of Calderon (Book 1 of The Codex of Alera 6 books ongoing) by Jim Butcher.
If you like game related high fantasy, try Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Book 1 of the Dragonlance Chronicles 3 books + several others) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
If you like adolescent hero stories that show the protagonist growing into a mature Hero, try Magician: Apprentice (Book 1 of the Riftwar Saga 4 books + Riftwar Cycle 24 books ongoing) by Raymond Feist.
If you like political science fiction/space opera, try On Basilisk Station (Book 1 of the Honor Harrington series 12 books + 4 anthologies and 2 stand-alones ongoing) by David Weber.
If you like low fantasy with politcal intrigue and racial overtones, try Deryni Rising (Book 1 of the Deryni Chronicles 3 books + Deryni Histories 12 books ongoing) by Katherine Kurtz.
If you like children's fantasy with religious overtones, try Magician's Nephew (Book 1 of the Chronicles of Narnia 7 books) by C.S. Lewis

Those are just the ones I have. And something in there should fill your time for now.

Vampire Earth by E.E. Knight is pretty good, The Black Company by Glen Cook is good. Ender Wiggin series. Dragonlance Saga. List goes on. Tons of books in the Dragonlance saga though. I suggest starting with The Soulforge, followed by Brothers in Arms and then the Dragonlance Chronicles. Written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

dragonlance series was my favorite i still read it to this day

favorite of all of them was the legend of huma

also the deathgate cycle was good to

Just to add one more series (6 or 7 books) is the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Really well done (IMO)> . ))

Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Been reading him since 86.
R. A. Salvatore books.
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Those are the authors I look for when looking for the new releases. Lucky for you they have a ton out so you would have alot of reading ahead of you before you had to suffer and wait for the next book to be released. The first fantasy book I read was The Sword of Shannara in 7th grade. Since then I've been hooked. I've read alot more than these authors but those are the ones I like the most so far.

The first fantasy book I read was The Sword of Shannara in 7th grade. Since then I've been hooked. [/QUOTE said:
Funny, my first sci-fantasy book was The Sioux Spaceman (Andre Norton) also in the 7th grade. ))) With the release of the staff wielder trilogy, the Shannara series just keeps getting better. ))

The last Shannara books I read was the Genesis of Shannara trilogy. Is there a new one?

Yeah, a new trio coming out that takes place 500 years after the elves, kids, remaining misc went into that valley. Suppose to be about the staff wielders. I don't know more as I haven't read it yet. "Bearers of the Black Staff":

From Publishers Weekly
The horrors of a war-ravaged world again invade a hard-won peace in Brooks's intense follow-up to 2008's The Gypsy Morph. Five hundred years have passed since Hawk led a tattered band of survivors into a valley protected by a magical barrier. Now the wall has been breached by demons. The last known Knight of the Word, Sider Ament, wields a powerful black staff that he hopes to pass to a new leader. After rescuing talented teen Trackers Panterra Qu and Prue Liss, Sider asks them to warn the Children of Hawk. Unfortunately, their council leaders don't share Sider's certainty of an impending invasion. While Sider explores the other side of the barrier, the young Trackers find help from Arborlon Elves in this superlative Tolkien-style fantasy tweaked with a contemporary vibe.

Last edited:
Black Magician Trilogy

Along the lines of Harry Potter but just a wee bit older is the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

read sword of truth series, i have read book 6 about a dozen times, faith of the fallen.... for some reason that book is the best in the series
also waiting on brian sanders to come out with the latest to wheel of time,
i read the lord of the ring books, they were ok, deff a bit diff than the movie.

check out Brandon Sandersons other work its really good as well.

Personal favorites:

Anything from Dave Duncan. He is one of the few authors that change things up between series. Each has its own flavor. The seventh sword trilogy ( The reluctant swordsman , The coming of wisdom , Destiny of the sword ) is very good. I also like the kings blades stories. A man of his word is good but a little long.

Steven Brust : The Book of Jhereg. Kind of like a mystery who done it set in a unique setting told by a professional assassin. Fun stuff.

Raymond E Feists: Magician series. He reuses the same setting for each set of books but I still find his stuff very readable.

David Eddings. Belgariad was good. The Elenum ( Diamond throne, ... ) was great. Loved the main character Sparhawk. He reuses the same story line though so haven't bothered to read anything 'new' from him in a while.

The wheel of time series is great up to about book six.