Computer Sound Question

Doug

Lifetimer
Reaction score
errrr... for some reason I can't get the sound on my pc to work anymore.

I've been having a problem recently with the computer go'ing to a black screen on reboot , after the windows xp screen loads and before selecting user.

Anyway, that problem doesn't happen anymore, but now I have wierd sound issues. I can't get sound to play on realplayer , quicktime , and such. My wife can't get sound to play on some of her cd's either.

Odd thing about it is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have no idea what could be wrong. I'm using onboard sound as I can care less about my sound quality and what not. Just would like some sound at all to work.

Any idea's on anything I can check or a utility I can run to tell me what's go'ing on ?

let me add, if I check on my sound options it says no device loaded.

thanks !! and sorry if this is confusing, trying to post it real quick at the end of my err... lunch break....

thanks !

it sounds like either:

1) your sound card is not completed seated
2) your drivers are hosed
3) you sound card is dead

First, re-verify your connections. Open your case and make sure the card didn't come loose.

Next, rollback to the previous driver in windows xp.

control panel
system
hardware tab
device manager
select your sound card (does it have a yellow "?")
right click
properties
driver tab
click rollback driver
reboot

If that doesn't work, do a windows update to update the drivers to the most current version.

If that doesn't work, you may have a dead or dying sound card.

This is normally driver related. Go to your motherboard manufacturers site and download your sound drivers.

Fry.

with my laptop i had a similiar problem with the "no sound device loaded" if i left it on for too long. restarting it worked. or if i went to the add or remove programs and went to repair the sound program, it enabled it and i restarted and it worked fine.

I get it working after a reboot then when I let the compuer run for a good bit it just kind of goes away on it's own. My wife is on the pc way more then I am, but of course her lazy butt want's me to fix it.

I'm inclined to think it's something with the driver, go'ing to hit the MB's site up in a little bit and see about getting the latest driver's and such.

thanks tons everyone for all the help !

for me im almost positive its the driver and me exiting winamp improperly :)