• White House, colored tree

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Bah Humbug, I hate lights.

Votes: 20 18.5%

• Total voters

DemonH2

Lifetimer
Reaction score
My wife and I butt heads every year around Christmas time. She has boobies so clearly she wins, but I want other people's opinions.

I personally think Christmas lights shouldn't exist unless they are colorful. I have a big heaping bag of hatred and fuck youness for plain white lights. If you like that so much then go stand on the freeway, they have them year round.

What do you guys like?

My 2cp

I used to prefer the white lights because I thought they were more versatile (although I cannot ever remember using at a time other than the holidays I guess I thought I had that option). But now that same versatility has resulted in white lights being used on plants and trees and everything else all year round in malls and such which has made them less festive in my eyes.

Incessant blinking of ANY lights drives me nuts, but for my money the multi colored strands are the best way to go. I also think they should be 100 % on. I think the fading in and out and cascading and racing and all that is fun sometimes, but wtf is the point of having 250 colored lights if only 100 will ever be on at any given time.

There is a service I use now where they will come and put up all your exterior lights (as many as you want) and then take them down AND store them at the end of the season. It can get spendy if you go Griswold but around my neighborhood there is apparently a competition akin to the e-peen with respect to exterior illumination. Before this service arrived a few years ago "the Jones'" (coupled with my acute laziness) had left me safely behind but now I can be just as festive without taking a break from EQ.

The wife and I had a very similar conversation, just I didn't have as strong of an opinion of the colored lights.

Apparently the white lights are now considered "classy" and the colored lights not so much. I think it's a lot like fashion and other types of styles. One day they are fine and another day they aren't. I think it's done so we always have to buy continually stuff.

I remember many years ago when Brass was popular in homes and the brushed nickel wasn't. Also looking at pictures of when I was little, we had yellow walls with brown carpet, and colored lights at Christmas.

Colored lights! I love colors and the other reason is, the uppity up neighborhood we live in, they clone decorations....white lights, wreaths on every window.

So for us its colored lights and big blow up santa on the 2nd floor landing!

:p

I prefer white and blue lights. But if colored are done, it would have to be in a certain sequence. None of the same colors together, unless all of the colors are together.

I like the white lights. To me they make the trees and bushes look all sparkly, as if they're glistening with snow

Blinking, fading, racing or otherwise non constant lights should be outlawed :p I hate em. Not only do they make me dizzy to watch they take away the effect I try to achieve (the icicle simulation)

I do like some colour on a wreath or garland though.

i hate lights of all colors equally. fuck christmas lights.

For me, it depends on how everything looks when it is done. I have seen all white lights and it looks great, and then I have seen colored lights that are awesome. But on that same note I have seen crappy ones also. Just remember, sometimes less is more.

Lol i love seeing I am not the only one passionate about it(thanks Alex).

We are the same way. We have a very traditional house so we framed everything out in colored lights and now it looks like a giant gingerbread house, it is really cool.

My neighbors are REEAAAAALLY stuck up so they all have like tiny ass thin trees with a few white lights and a wreath on the door. It makes me want to puke its so snoody looking.

Fuck you guys as soon as i can get a 60ft inflatable Santa im going for it!

Cold climate vs. warm

One other thing about Christmas decorations: if you live in a place like Florida, Hawaii, etc. those uber huge blow up snow globes with the fake snow swirling in them look ridiculous next to a palm tree, in my opinion. Same thing goes for Santa with a surf board and shorts. Or worse still, the fake snow. If you like snow that much move to a place that gets it.

I occasionally spend Christmas in warmer climates and I have always found it much more difficult to get in the "holiday spirit" when I cannot find snow without a lengthy flight. I am sure it is a product of growing up in an area that looks more like a snowy Norman Rockwell painting, but lights and decorations make much more sense to me in the snow.

colored lights unless your house is a mall

Lights on trees, ahhh, that'd be cool. Us po folk put on strands of colored popcorn.

htw

Lights on trees, ahhh, that'd be cool. Us po folk put on strands of colored popcorn.

htw

Please daddy, please don't spend all our Christmas money on booz and beat mother again.