boxing question

braedo

Premium Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I am just coming back - last time I played was when Vox opened in early 2012. anyways, I am thinking about coming back and starting fresh on Fippy (sold all my old accounts, which I am kicking myself for not having my old RAF ones anymore)

my question is, i am looking to 3 box, and not sure the best combo since mercs aren't out yet. any advice would be appreciated.

1) SK/SHM/MNK - i like the idea of melee with decent dps, gearing sk sucks but nice to be able to swarm / PL at later stages

2) MAG/ENCH/WIZ - prob even more dps and from what i see, mag pet can tank better than tanks without having to gear anything but appropriate focus.

I have always leaned toward melee, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the caster side either.

again, just looking for opinions - thanks!

Pet tanking on Fibby is probably going to be difficult due to the difficulty of finding pet focus items for that level/expansion.

One combo I'd suggest is War/Brd/Clr. Almost nothing will ever kill you, though you will have low dps.

Shd/Shm/Mnk would be a fun one and I'm sure it would be effective for those levels. Higher DPS than the above options but not as much survivability.

Tanking (or keeping something at distance), crowd control, and healing are always what you need in a group.

Tanking can be done traditionally a la sk/pal/war, non-traditionally (monk works in that expansion), via pet (nec, mage, charming) or via root/kite.

Crowd control can be pulling 1 at a time, mezzing, lulling, or rooting out of range.

Healing is self or via spell.

Whatever combo you choose, make sure all 3 roles can be filled. During the peak of old man missions, doing old school mage/enc/nec was pretty snazzy at that level range. But if you are planning on harder content, a traditional tank/cc/healer setup cant go wrong.