Boxing on Project99 - Tips/Tricks?

Morx

Reaction score
Hey there everyone.

So I've requested an IP exemption, for a couple of my accounts, and I'm a little paranoid about it. I love boxing, and I hope I can fly under the radar on P99. If I'm paranoid, it's a good reason to probably not do it.

I think I wouldn't have problems in groups, especially depending on the class, but if I'm just playing a casters, or a melee + caster, and the caster just stands up, nukes, or heals, whatever, and sits back down, that seems like a pretty easy way to do it.

I'm paranoid, because it seems that things you could do before IP Exemption, you can't afterwards. Recently was a person banned that had IP exempt, and one account was just sitting afk near where the other was exping. Leeching free exp. Both were not being actively played at the same time, just the one doing the soloing/exping.

They banned both accounts, because no way to prove it wasn't just 1 dude with both toons loaded up himself.

It seems they are really cracking down on it, but I think groups are going to be the safest way to do it?

I'm paranoid, because it seems that things you could do before IP Exemption, you can't afterwards. Recently was a person banned that had IP exempt, and one account was just sitting afk near where the other was exping. Leeching free exp. Both were not being actively played at the same time, just the one doing the soloing/exping.

That seems like a clear cut violation to me. Basically they want one person playing one toon. If you have one person AFK and one person XP grinding, it is 2 toons, one player.

but I could be wrong! i'm wrong a lot.

They really crack down on P99. You can try to do something there, but they are MUCH more strict than regular EQ and they actively look for people that violate their rules.

That seems like a clear cut violation to me. Basically they want one person playing one toon. If you have one person AFK and one person XP grinding, it is 2 toons, one player.

but I could be wrong! i'm wrong a lot.

And I was kind of looking at it like 2 toons, only 1 being played, so the other toon wasn't being played, therefore, not being boxed.

If 2 toons are being played, and both are actively doing something, such as one tanking, the other healing in a group, I feel that would be a clear violation.

The above examples with the afk person struck me, because I do that a lot now, with a 50 mage, and my 35 warrior. Group them for experience, but because I don't have an IP exemption, it doesn't even get looked at.

Sounds like the guy who got banned was too obvious and/or didn't handle it well. I mean, pretend your wife or brother went to the bathroom and has been "in there" a while, so what do you want me to do, bang on the door? Then suddenly you gotta log. May not work but it beats having no cover story.

I boxed long enough to level a second toon to max but I did it smart. I used faraway zones, kept an eye on the zone population, didn't dominate high-demand camp spots and went out of my way to help people so nobody had an axe to grind with me. That's part of the fun, getting away with it. I also didn't XP for more than an hour or at a time. I'd clear a camp of 12-15 mobs, then camp out while they respawned and log back in. That means I was physically in zone no more than 8 minutes or so out of every 20. Yeah, it's a little painstaking but it beats getting banned.

Of course, I also had access to two IP addresses and needed no exemption. I have a feeling if you get an IP exemption, you're putting a big fat target on your toons. All they have to do is check you out once in awhile eventually to catch you doing the AFK-XP violation. There are ways to spoof a second IP so Id go with that over getting an exemption.

Care to share? Maybe I can do some google searching.

The easiest I've found so far is using my smartphone as internet on my laptop, and then use my home cable connection on the desktop. EQ passes so little information, that 3g wireless service is plenty. It's just a little tedious to get this done usually.

You can always try a VPN... sometimes that computer is a little slower.

I level 5 characters to level 50 in P99. I only had to level one character solo to 50, the other four I used a two and sometimes three box. I never got caught, I used MQ the whole time.

Like previously stated, use zones that no one is in. Runney Eye, that cat town by Erudin (always empty and great to get a character to lvl 30 quick), the back part of Split Paw are a few spots that come to mind for levels 1-50. Stay away from anything anywhere in any dungeon that has the potential to spawn a named. Even in the empty zones, some invis level 50 necro or enchanter will come through (that is using MQ) and check all named areas. The dumb ones will warp to the named rooms, which you can see on the map. I always always have the map up on my second computer and check not only for spawns but for who/whom has entered the zone. I find out their level and their intentions. One of my favorite spots was the safe hall on the live guk side. I can give that one up now that I am afk until Kunark. A level 35 that zones into Lower Guk probably isn’t a threat to you, but a level 50 SK might just invis up and run through there because he’s bored and that’s how you’ll get caught.

Camp or LD one of you boxes any time a GM zones in. I just don’t play, Uthgaard seems like a real tool. Has some minor God complex going on or something, Hobby seems pretty cool but well, you figure it out I guess.

If you mess up and someone has seen you doing something then you have what I call heat. You should chill, find a group! For a few days until your heat level goes down. I learned this once while I was three boxing PL’ing at the Ghoulbane guy in Upper Guk and one of those puissant poop socking guilds players came through once, then again an hour later and then again….of course followed up by a tell asking me what I was doing. I thought I was done then, I camped them out and played one character for like a week. There are some johny do good guilds out there on the server that actively seek us out. I also know that the two prior named GM’s are in a guild, raid, help etc…..and to me that justifies me “cheating”. Well that and crap being able to heal through walls and crap, Kedge Keep? Give me a friggan break…I digress.

Do it safe and quiet and you should have no issues. Find a place that you can actively solo there for your level and use your alt box to provide buffs and hasten your recovery process. Park your alt far away, also be willing to buff and help others at their beckon even if it means to slow your leveling process. Do drive bys with your pl character to get a heal, haste, clarity etc. Manastone is essential if pl’ing a caster….bleh off topic.

Lastly. Morx, don’t get my mage banned! I will be back for him when Kunark opens.

Ooops. IP exemption if you can't get. I have a AT&T wireless air card I got for when I travel, like to Iraq, that I log in on my laptop. You can also VPN or Proxy if you know how to set that up.

Only IP exempt one account. You can best bet that they will check on both accounts if you have them both logged in. Or get an exemption on your main account and then a dummy account and then use a third with different email and what not to box with. It's all about cheating smartly, like advertised.

I had to proxy a USA IP from Iraq to down load Dragon Age Origins from Steam last year. I guess they won't let Iraqi's have access to cool ass games or something.

Sounds like the guy who got banned was too obvious and/or didn't handle it well. I mean, pretend your wife or brother went to the bathroom and has been "in there" a while, so what do you want me to do, bang on the door? Then suddenly you gotta log. May not work but it beats having no cover story.

I boxed long enough to level a second toon to max but I did it smart. I used faraway zones, kept an eye on the zone population, didn't dominate high-demand camp spots and went out of my way to help people so nobody had an axe to grind with me. That's part of the fun, getting away with it. I also didn't XP for more than an hour or at a time. I'd clear a camp of 12-15 mobs, then camp out while they respawned and log back in. That means I was physically in zone no more than 8 minutes or so out of every 20. Yeah, it's a little painstaking but it beats getting banned.

Of course, I also had access to two IP addresses and needed no exemption. I have a feeling if you get an IP exemption, you're putting a big fat target on your toons. All they have to do is check you out once in awhile eventually to catch you doing the AFK-XP violation. There are ways to spoof a second IP so Id go with that over getting an exemption.

You are the man sir...camping out and retiming the spawn.

Ooops. IP exemption if you can't get. I have a AT&T wireless air card I got for when I travel, like to Iraq, that I log in on my laptop. You can also VPN or Proxy if you know how to set that up.

Only IP exempt one account. You can best bet that they will check on both accounts if you have them both logged in. Or get an exemption on your main account and then a dummy account and then use a third with different email and what not to box with. It's all about cheating smartly, like advertised.

I had to proxy a USA IP from Iraq to down load Dragon Age Origins from Steam last year. I guess they won't let Iraqi's have access to cool ass games or something.

Good tips moose, thanks!

As far as I know, they only IP exempt one account anyway. But ya, I'm fairly paranoid about the whole thing. I agree, it's about cheating smarter, just like this website uses as their tag line!

I've been having great fun just playing the mage to farm when I want cash, and leaving him out in OOT, and then playing warrior seperately in Lguk when I want to group up.

Like I think someone else said, the fun is in trying to beat the system, but even now, with only a few days played on the toons, I don't feel it's worth the risk.

I'll just keep playing them seperately.

a bit off topic but i got banned om p99 , they claimed i useed MQ , will fun part i wasnt on p99 hehe.

and they dont tell you whey they suspect you to be using mq.