Books and Authors

Rooster95

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread about books and authors so that we can share some of our favorites and maybe get some ideas from others on something to look into.

Some of my favorites ...

Robert Jordan - The Wheel Of Time
Raymond Feist - The Riftwar Saga and all follow up books
Laurell K Hamilton - The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Books
R.A. Salvatore - Everything he's ever written
Brian Lumley - The Necroscope stuff
David Eddings - The Belgariad and The Mallorean. (Also check out his Dreamers books)
Joel Rosenberg - The Guardians Of The Flame Series
Terry Brooks - The Shanarra Stuff
Dean Koontz - Personally i'm not a big fan of his stuff other than his Odd Thomas Books. Those are great
Stephen King - Nuff Said

Robert Jordan - The Wheel Of Time
He might have a prolog for his final book out by August, also think I read the final book itself should be out by this time next year.

Jack London - Sea Wolf.. Jack London didn't write a lot in his short life, but what he did is simply stunning. And most of what he wrote was based around his own life, which is pretty amazing all things considered.
Jack London - White Fang

Robert Ludlum - Bourne series (don't be put off by the films, they're totally different to the books)

Raymond Feist - Fairy Tale.. If you don't believe in fairies now, you will after reading this. Also Riftwar Saga as mentioned above.

Robert Sabag - Snow Blind.. Enlightening story of the cocaine trade in the 70's. Think of "Blow" but a lot more fact and a lot less embellishment.

Robert Ludlum - Bourne series (don't be put off by the films, they're totally different to the books)

The books are so different its hard to actually relate book to movie. The movies are great but the books put them to shame even tho they are so different.

David Eddings: The Belgariad and the Mallorean Series
Terry Goodkind: The Sword of Truth Series
Richard Morgan: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies

Eddings and Goodkind are both excellent epic fantasy writers and Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs is an excellent cyberpunk character for the three titles listed. All very worth checking out.

Anthrax

Piers Anthony - all the Xanth books are decent, but I really liked the Incarnations of Immortality series.

Jeff Lindsay - The Dexter Series. The books that inspired the Showtime show Dexter.

William King - The Spacewolf Omnibus
Graham McNeill - The Ultramarines Omnibus
Dan Abnett - Eisenhorn - The Founding
Ben Counter - The Soul Drinkers Omnibus - Grey Knights
Havent encountered a single bad Warhammer 40k book so far :D

Terry Pratchett - Everything he's done is good! Love his humour!

Myself I hate Robers Jordan books. Just a looooooooong series of describing surroundings. Just utterly boring novel-series.

Eddings books I liked when I started reading fantasy but they are too simple, altho I love Belgarion still but its like reading a book for children ;)

Ofcourse Shannara series are just legendary!

Everything ever written by Carlos Castaneda

Behold a Pale Horse - William Cooper

Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About - Kevin Trudaeu (shitty writer but good information)

will second Piers Anthony's Immorality series, didnt like many of the rest

C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength)

I liked Contact by Carl Sagan, the movie jacked up the point he was making.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, sequel Lila is cool but slow as hell

Jack London

didn't he also write The walking Drum? either way that is one of the best books I've read.

The books are so different its hard to actually relate book to movie. The movies are great but the books put them to shame even tho they are so different.

As I heard it, the books are based on real life characters. The Jackal, real name Ilyich Ramirez Sanchez, is quietly rotting away in jail somewhere. When approached about using his likeness in the films he wanted a ton of cash, then there were issues around that fact he's still in jail etc.

The upshot was that Carlos the Jackal couldn't be mentioned, thus the films had to be completely different. They used the same premise to start, uber agent with memory loss found floating in the sea, after which it was a complete rewrite. I do like the films, they certainly stack up very well against the bond films at the time, but the story in the books really is better in every way.

Some of my favorite books/series:

Mercedes Lackey - Valdemar series / Elemental Masters series
David Weber - Honor Hairrington series
Elizabeth Moon - Paksenarrion Trilogy
Glen Cook - Black Company series (they tend to go downhill towards the end IMO, but first 4-5 books are good, IIRC)
Anne McCaffrey - Pern series / Diane Tregarde series

Anyways that is the list from memory as I am at work at the moment. I will go through my bookshelves when I get home for more recommendations.

Some of my favorites ...

Laurell K Hamilton - The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Books

If you like the Anita books try Kim Harrison's Hollow series. I love them both.

books

If you like the old Travis McAgee series written by John MacDonald, I recommend Randy Wayne White and his Doc Ford novels.

They are a lot of fun if you like stories that take plave primarily in Florida and the Caribbean. Plus the author is a real nice, regular guy. A former fishing guide who loves baseball and the outdoors.