Blizzard hacked

the nerdrage on the forums is truly epic.

Y U NO SECURE YER NETWORK, BLIZZ?

jesus, i'll be reading this shit all night for laughs.

Has anyone received an email from Blizzard stating that we should change our passwords? I haven't...

Jeez, it's never a bad idea.

Always remember when a big corporation admits to being hacked, they almost always understate the size and scope of the breach. And, what's worse, many times they don't even KNOW the size and scope.

Assume the worst, take the necessary steps, and you're far better off.

It is definitely a good idea to change your password and to add an authenticator. I'm surprised that blizzard hasn't actually notified me that I should change my password.

Blizzard hasn't actually notified me of anything. i changed my pass on my blizz accounts because of your post, rob, so thanks. Don't know what is going on with that company anymore. Not sure if Blizz's response or Sony's response is better. Yeah SOE games were down for a couple weeks, but at least you knew no one was ganking your shit during that time.

SOE's response was what an actual fortune 500 company does they took down everything in order to fix and upgrade the security. This does not surprise me at all everyone knows blizzard has security flaws there's a reason I went 13 years of never once getting hacked in EQ to 1 week in WOW. I did a test once I made 6 fresh emails from my own domain a domain that was never used for any Blizzard accounts and after 2 weeks 3 of them were hacked. Blizzards response is you were hacked well its your fault not ours deny deny deny and pin the blame on the consumer not the company.

authenticator or not creating an account with an email you have never used on anything else should be 100% safe. Another reason why they need to ditch the email as username system.

Last edited:
I don't get your point. Was your email account hacked? That would not be Blizzard's fault since they don't know your email password.

If some hackers got access to your WoW account then what difference does the username make? The security of account info is dependent on the secrecy of the username PLUS the password. Yes, if the username is "obvious" then half the battle for a hacker is won. But if you make your password challenging, it's half of a battle so HUGE that they still have no shot at brute-forcing a guess at your password.

If your point is that Blizzard stores this info insecurely, then it won't matter if the username was something different than your email account, anyone hacking in would get it all.

So like I said, I'm not sure I get the point of your "test."

Blizzard/Battle.Net gets bent out of shape insisting that it wasn't THEIR servers or client got hacked. It had to have been your email that was compromised. They go so far as to insist you change your email password any time you contact them about security.

Their games and servers have enough security holes to drive a fleet of Mack trucks through but they refuse to see the forest for the trees. If your account s compromised their first instruction is to change your email password.....

/boggle.

Okay I guess I get it. The point is by forcing users to use their email address as a username it gives them an excuse to blame the customer as opposed to themselves for the security breach.

until recently there wasn't a limit on the amount of times you could authenticate an account. combined with the passwords not being case sensitive, it reduced the number of passwords by an exponent of 26 (about 40%).