Best 6 Box Layout

Camdenbrown

Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been talked about in the past, but I wanted to see what people think with TDS what's the best 6 box layout. Obviously, there are several variables, so I'll lay some ground rules.

Assuming a Tank/Clr is neccessary for TDS content not faceroll content.
I'm thinking in terms of DPS/Survivability. Love to hear peoples thoughts with reason.

I've tried several layouts from Sk/Clr/Brd/Wizx3 to Sk/Clr/Shm/Zerkx3 but this was before TDS.

I have seen hundreds of threads on this topic and every time I change my mind as to the "best" layout is. Right now I would say a good way to go is

War/Clr/Enc/Mage/Mage/Mage

you would gain 50% more dps by dropping the clr and adding a bard for the zerkers or dropping the shaman (you lose the epic burn) but you gain way more sustained from the bard. Bard is 30-40% increase in each zerker's dps.

Mages are great if you can cast rain spells otherwise they're good but not great dps so no point in having 3.

I've done

War, clr, bard, zerker, zerker, zerker
or
War, clr, bard, wizard, wizard, wizard

The wizards win out because they can sustain more dps with just group gear.

Now if you want a utility and dps group

War, clr, enc, wiz, mage, wiz

Why enc ? They're capable of decent dps and increase wizard/mage dps you lose a puller but you don't need one with an enchanter in the group. The mage gives you coth, mod rods, pet tank if the warrior dies and pretty good dps this group will not out dps the 3 wizard group but it will do the job.

of course I just load 12 toons wherever I go :)

Last edited:
Oh and do not go SK sorry but they're not very good tanks in TDS content especially tier 3. They just do not have the defensive abilities needed. I've personally out tanked my raid sk with a group warrior in TDS.

I have also been playing with my group setup and really depends on which accounts you have and what can you pawn off to mercs. I have even gone as far as splitting the 6 toons up and making 2 groups with mercs for testing dps.

Group 1
War
--Rog Merc
Bard
--Rog Merc
Zerk
--Rog Merc

Group 2
Cleric
--Rog Merc
Zerk
--Rog Merc
Zerk
--Cleric Merc

Cleric Heals both groups using extended target to healing warrior and other group. Possible group 2 merc dps wont attack but the chance of group 2 getting aggro and then assisting. A bit overkill but different.

I've been using wizard merc are rogues better dps? And are sks really that absolete in tds? Mines 103 and I haven't really tried tds yet but I find this information very disheartening.

From my testing I have found rog merc for efficient for overall grinding and fast killing. Wiz Merc have the casting time on them so if you plan on having fights over 30 sec or longer then maybe worth switching to them but melee dps seems to stable.

As it has been said it all depends on your preference. I for one am a melee person and I like melee but for the people who play casters may favor caster dps then anything else.

Another factor you may want to consider: all-access (prestige) vs silver/free (non-prestige).

You can get a full set of augs that are non-prestige if you go caster heavy group, with mage pet tank.

With a real tank (pal/war/sk), you are going to have to go all-access to get a decent set of augs to be able to tank the last tier in an expansion.

Caster group clearly wins, because of some other benefits.

- Less time investment in augs

- Can do fine with non-prestige gear

- Wizard/Druid ports

- Mage COH

- Casters are less bot-like.

Until they come up with a decent set of non-prestige augs for melee, there isn't much benefit to have a high melee group unless your accounts are going to remain all-access.

I currently 6 box, War/Clr/Mag/Wiz/Brd/Mnk and have zero complaints. always looking for someone to partner up with if anyone else here boxes on FV hit me up.

Non-Prestige Caster Augs

So I've decided to reroll Warrior since I have a lvl 100 already on the same acct, and probably gonna try either the 3xwiz or maybe 2xwiz, 1xmage for utility purposes with a bard. I have a 105 Enchanter already that could replace the bard, but wasn't sure if he was really better than the bard till William said something. I just figured with the bard songs increasing nuke dmg that he'd be a must have. Also, I never run low on mana so maybe my Wiz ini is crap, haha. I use Pete's bots, so if anyone has an amazing wiz ini, I'd love to compare it with mine.

What are these Non-prestige caster augs you're talking about. Do you have a list or a link to help refer?

Welcome any feedback or advice.

Last edited:
Augs

Nevermind, I just checked Eqresource, and they have a good filtering system to check augs, spell dmg.

Originally i went through TDS progression with sk/cler/brd/mag/mag/bst , none were 105 when we finished up to Arx. Had to wait for bard to be 105 to do Arx stuff.

But recently leveled up some wizzies and a warrior using war/cler/enc/wiz/wiz/mag and finding it much easier in general.

War tanks stuff a LOT easier, cleric... well nothing changed there. Enc, i spam banestrike on mage pet for haze procs and wizards just blow shit up and mage generally is just my coth bitch.

Definitely will support any 6 box group that has wiz/wiz/mage/enc+tank and healer.

Was wondering myself.... is there a bug in banestrike where a failed attempt can proc Haze?

Was wondering myself.... is there a bug in banestrike where a failed attempt can proc Haze?

Yes banestrike your pet or any pet and it can proc haze but the timer on banestrike resets because it does not work on pets.

It also works on the Dopple AAs target any PC spam it until you get the buff.

I'd go: Pal/Clr/Enc/Wiz/Nec(Or Mage if you want utility)/Wiz

So is it better to individually Mana Reverb or use the Aura? Is there a difference? I should know how to best use an Enc, but I don't....