Aug 2nd EQ3/Next

PRWraith

Midnight Gamer
Reaction score
Who's Looking forward to the announcement reveal trailers media etc galore on august 2nd concerning eq next?

The guys over at tentonhammer seem to be implying they know quite a bit and like most of what they've heard despite the alleged press blackout.

Secret Beta with an NDA I am sure.

I think Darq meant that tentonhammer is participating in the secret beta which is why they know so much but can't reveal specific details because of the current NDA.

On topic though, I am very excited about the revealing of EQN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I think Darq meant that tentonhammer is participating in the secret beta which is why they know so much but can't reveal specific details because of the current NDA.

On topic though, I am very excited about the revealing of EQN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

No they showed a behind closed doors strict NDA signed to the media at E3.

And of course they couldn't possibly have invited them to a secret beta, protected by an NDA, as well. No, they couldn't have done that. It had to only be the press reveal at E3.

Fact is, we don't know if there is one or not. That's the whole point of an NDA. Stop assuming you know all the facts, William, when you don't. There may be a beta right now, there may not be. Until it gets revealed in Aug, we don't really know, and probably not even then. Tentonhammer has seen something that they are dying to talk about, and that is enough to make me more excited to see what they are going to unveil.

I hold little faith for EQN.

EQ was an awesome game because it was hard as hell, took crazy amounts of time invested to get any sort of progress, and needed so much player co-operation for tiny rewards. We had little to no alternative games, and the carrot on a stick reward was at a level we have never seen before and after in gaming.

We are grown up now, we have played many other games. We are not willing to invest that sort of time into a game due to family and other commitments. They are going to release something that appeals to masses, a game like mentioned above doesn't.

So we've ruled out a game that recaptures EQ1's magic. What we have left sounds like they've tried to take a huge step forward in progress for how to interact with a virtual world that is ever changing, and I believe it might do well as one of the first MMORPG's released for a console.

SoE has done a wonderful job with planetside 2, lets hope they've killed the horrible track record they had with EQ2 and Vanguard, and are going to release an industry changing MMORPG.

I'm a lore junkie myself. I could care less if it's a wow clone a tera clone, an EQ 1 clone what have you. I'm there for the lore and the lore alone.

I genuinely enjoy everquest 1 lore even if it's not the best written thing on the planet. I enjoy reading about how we attacked the planes and freed a prisoner in the plane of time.

I enjoy the entire iksar green mist story.

And if even a little bit of that is transferred over to EQ next i'll be a happy man.

I'll be happier still if it's got solid gameplay though :)

I do now haha, thanks for the link this should be a good read.

I'll be at the announcements in Vegas, though I think they're being streamed also.

I'm tentatively hyped, but I have the same concerns Fry does.

I hold little faith for EQN.

EQ was an awesome game because it was hard as hell, took crazy amounts of time invested to get any sort of progress, and needed so much player co-operation for tiny rewards. We had little to no alternative games, and the carrot on a stick reward was at a level we have never seen before and after in gaming.

QFT, You hit the nail on the head dude. Everquest was so amazing and so addictive (none of us have left yet) mainly for those two reasons.

1) There was nothing else out there even close to it. An actual first person RPG in a huge online world with Table Top gamer like interaction but on a massive scale. (by 1999 standards) when EQ hit 100,000 subscribers it was mind blowing to the gaming world.

2) Difficulty of game play was in line with a Table Top game as well, basically skill success rolls for everything you do. Remember trying skillup sense heading just so you could figure out what fucking way you were facing? Nothing was given out freely or easily, it was like being on Table Top with that merciless GM who knew the GM handbook inside and out. Venturing into your first dungeon (Befallen) was a pants shitting experience because you knew that you may very well die somewhere where a CR was impossible and you would lose all your shit and a mountain of hard earned XP.

I honestly dont believe our early EQ experience can ever be duplicated. It was a product of its time and it was generational. Most of the first gen EQers were former Table Toppers or MUDers or maybe even UOers so our minds were in the right place to spend hours and hours drawing out fucking maps on Hex Paper just to learn the shape of the world and figure out where we were, and hours on skillups for sense heading and bind wound! lol

In todays generation (and even us as we have grown) that shit wont fly. People that have been playing WoW, Runescape, League of Legends, or Guildwars could not possibly retrograde into that mindset that would accept the likelyhood of an hour plus CR just to be able to continue playing. Where we saw that epic CR as PART of playing the game, todays players would see it as nothing but an hour of their lives lost for nothing.

I feel lucky that we were a part of that time and we got to enjoy the experience for what it was back then. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed and while I dont rule out the possibility of EQN or another developer breaking ground into a new epic game changer like EQ was, Im not holding my breath.

I have played WoW, Guildwars, Warhammer Online, and LoTR Online and while each was fun in their own way and had plenty of great aspects of gameplay, none even come within a thousand miles of the original EQ experience back in the day. It was one of a kind mainly because of when it was and who we were as players then.

I had a notebook with maps, Place holders, named and items they dropped. All hand drawn and researched in game. Some of the items were given by other players and I was constantly updating maps with new information. This information was obtained in game, not on a web site.

I remember having to visit two cities to do tradeskills. You had to grab some bags and make sure you had everything you needed. There was no recipe UI, you had to learn and know how to make items. I remember making Dyed fine steel armor. I gathered the dyes and would fill custom orders for people. I introduced Red Dyed armor on Cazic. Everyone wanted to look like they had Rubicite.

Can anyone speculate on the availability of MQ2 or other hacks for the new EQN? I assume there will be demand for this.

Has there been any discussion from MQ2 developers if this will happen? How long will will something like this take to develop for a brand new game? Will MMOBUGS support this effort?

Can anyone speculate on the availability of MQ2 or other hacks for the new EQN? I assume there will be demand for this.

Has there been any discussion from MQ2 developers if this will happen? How long will will something like this take to develop for a brand new game? Will MMOBUGS support this effort?

^^ is why we will never have another EQ.

^^ is why we will never have another EQ.

ISX works pretty good for EQ2 and a few other games. I'm hoping there is an OgreBot like extension that will work with EQ:N.