Anyone here carry a sidearm?

riot

Reaction score
Ill be in the market for one soon and I'm looking for some opinions on them. Ill be getting one for myself and for my girlfriend so I'd like some options on ones that aren't too bulky.

I've been putting this off long enough. There are far too many unprovoked attacks on people these days by out of control teens and young adults. My former county Sheriff, Sheriff Clarke, came under a lot of heat for telling people they have a right to protect themselves,that the police can't always be there and that citizens need to learn proper firearm care and handling but he's 100% correct.

I know there are those who will deem us to be 'gun totting red necks' or 'paranoid' or 'mindless NRA drones' (ive heard them all) but there are ample amounts of news stories out there to justify carrying a sidearm where I reside and even more news stories about flash mobs and random attacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

I carry concealed Glock .45 ACP. Best advice I can give is to go to your local sporting goods spot (Academy etc) and put a gun in your hands and have your gf do the same. A particular make/model that you like may not be comfortable for your gf. You know the drill...

If you plan on carrying open or concealed I strongly recommend hitting your local shooting range often to become very familiar with your gun or guns.

Any most importantly, know the laws and gun safety :)

Hope this helps...

T

It's going to be unique from person to person. The gun that is the "best" gun is the gun you can comfortably wear, wield, and competently shoot accurately every time you draw and pull the trigger. There's tons of reliable, carry-able firearms out there these days.

However, there is no substitute for proper training and practice with the firearm. Until you train the muscle memory on draw/aim/fire, it's not going to do much for you. You have to upkeep that training also, it does fade with time.

tdg911 said it best - go to your local store and get a feel for things. Find places that rent handguns and shoot them until you find one you're comfortable with. Then know that firearm inside and out, and practice^3

I'm just looking for a list of ones that y'all have had success with so I have an idea of what to try out. I know everyone has a different feel.

I haven't shot in quite a few years so the range is definitely on the schedule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

There are so many different things to consider, but here is a good article about choosing a "fighting" pistol by a lieutenant I have been trained by at my agency.

It is by no means a tell all or anything , but some things to consider since if you are going to be carrying a firearm you could possibly find yourself one day in a fight for survival. So choose wisely.

The Safariland Group Blog | How to Choose a Fighting PIstol

mine are
carry Sig P938 - 9mm
VcfyvNHde277QWUH

range Sig 229 - .40

cjZ3VDLzs0OsZDV3

Last edited:
Love my

Glock 357 wife hates the feal.
Walter my wife likes

Go to a range try a couple out.

Oh and for target shooting:
Barrett 98B
Barrett
With BORS optics
Barrett

Love that rifle.

Cool, I just took delivery of a Barrett M82A1 with Schmidt-Bender 5-25x56 PM II/LP
Still on the fence about the BORS.

For carry I love my little Springfield XD-S .45

With all the crap going on today I carry it a lot more than I used to.

-Wolf

i liked my sig p220 combat. It feels like a extension of my body lol

The Springfield XD series is very popular for carrying due to its size and various calibers supported.

I don't have a carry sidearm, but I plan to go for the Springfield XDS series of some caliber. I presently have an XDM .40, and I love it - very good and very reliable shooter.

I'm usually a dead on shot. With the XDS .45, I'm shooting a bit low and sometimes low left. It's hard to not anticipate the kick. It's not bad, but a bit different from my Beretta 92fs:

350px-Beretta92Centurion.jpg

And more kick than my Cimarron Model P 5.5 in, .45 Colt:

MP411%20Cimarron%20Model%20P%205.5in%20.45%20Colt%20Left-1000x800.jpg

Last edited:
My weapon of choice is XDM 9mm. It is light, breaks down quickly, and although some argue 9mm is a "weak" round I have 19 of them. It's made by Springfield armory. Great pistol. Honestly however, what I would suggest is you go to your local gun range, explain to them what you are interested in buying. Be serious about it and so will they. Mine gives me a break on renting ones i am shopping. Never buy a gun you haven't shot a couple times over a few days, broken down and cleaned. I also suggest you check your range for self and home defense classes. They are cheap or free, and give you important legal, safety and defense information.