l0k33

Reaction score
Current Computer Specs:

- XP 32-bit
- 4 G ram
- Nvidia 8800 GTS (320mb)
- dual core intel CPU @ 2.4 ghz
- WD 74gb 10K rpm hdd

I have been 4-boxing for a year w/o issue. My question is, if I were to add two new accounts and 6-box, could I reliably do so with my present hardware?

Thanks!

(edit - fixed ram specs)

damnit - thought I was in the EQ-general section - apologies for wrong forum for this - move or delete as you may - I can repost if so

Current Computer Specs:

- XP 32-bit
- 4 meg ram
- Nvidia 8800 GTS (320mb)
- dual core intel CPU @ 2.4 ghz
- WD 74gb 10K rpm hdd

I have been 4-boxing for a year w/o issue. My question is, if I were to add two new accounts and 6-box, could I reliably do so with my present hardware?

Thanks!

Yes just turn the fluff off.

Thanks for the responses all. I just wanted to be sure before I took the plunge on subscribing on two more accounts.

my suggestion although probably not required is to go to vista ultimate 64bit and up to 8gb of ram, each EQ instance uses about 750-900mb of ram so any more than 4 instances and it will have to start using swap file. xp 32bit is only going to be able to address and use about 3.2gb maximum any mroe and you'd need 64bit

steve

to much stuff is not supported via xp64. Overall if you have 4gigs memory and a 512+ meg video card thats not trash. It really is silly not to run vista64

i have the same rig setup on one machine but i run a MSI 8800GT OC card and i run 4 stable, anything more and i lock up on camping toons out. I have 7200 HDD though.

I have a C2D OC to 3.0 GHz with 4 gig ram running WinXP and can run 4 toon flawless, 5 toons starts lagging, 6 toons and load times go way up but once in zone works decently. This is with all models off.

I moved to a Q6600 OC to 3.0 Ghz with 8 gig ram running 64 bit vista and it runs 9 instances flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and get the extra ram and 64 bit vista or after the new crap they add you'll find your self running out of ram with 4 toons.

I ran 4 instances on 2 GB ram for years. However I would also suggest the 64 Vista / XP and 8 GB.

Or ....... have 4 computers like I do.......

So is there something special with vista that helps out with boxing that I dont know about? What things are you talking about that it support that XP doesnt JJ? Maybe it's better now that they've had time to work out the bugs.

Driver and App support for XP64 is pretty pathetic. Vista 64 is not nearly as bad. I think its silly to still be running 32bit systems when the price of ram is so cheap. The 2 biggest performance changes for EQ are Video Card and then RAM at least in my experience.

Should try vista 64 with 8 gigs RAM + 512+ Video Ram against XP 32 with a combined 4gigs of video Ram + RAM

I am running XP64 with 8 gigs of ram and 1024 Vid memory, how much better would everything run on vista? I'm curious cause I would possibly change over. I heard the only good thing about vista was DX 10.

If you already have everything going in XP64 you dont really gain any REAL benefit. Just fluff really. Not much really uses dx10 atm so you dont gain much with that.