Windows 10

LOL if you think that is bad if any of you got the developer builds torrent who wanted it early, I would reimage and get off from it if your using it as a main computer. Earlier builds Microsoft has so much stuff enabled for debugging that literally they can tell you what websites you are going to and what keystrokes. So if your logging into Banking or sites they would already have your information. This was already forewarned when you got the iso and during the setup

So u saying Micro$oft "helpfully" included a keylogger in their beta versions of this software to ensure that those who were willing to help them debug their product put their own security at great risk?

The mind boggles...

/boggle

Correct. Microsoft warning before downloading the ISO said that keylogger was included in the release to capture bugs and report the findings with keystrokes to replicate.

To start: Yes, the Windows 10 Technical Preview does have the ability to collect more than you'd expect from the average Windows operating system. In the Technical Preview's privacy statements, it states:

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,
use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,
open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use it for purposes such as improving performance, or
enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

refer: [URL="http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/240114-post4.html"Original Post[/URL]

Just thought I would chime in on what I had done, from the time of my original post.

First, I would say, yes: it's good to know what to opt in/out of for Windows 10.

E.g., knowing you will be sharing the bandwidth load for Win10 upgrades, unless you go turn it off. Or making sure that sharing your browsing history, etc. , with Microsoft is turned off. Those were good points to know.

At least MS lets you turn most of those off during install, if you choose Custom. The 'upgrade sharing' it doesn't offer, but is easy enough to turn off after the fact.

1) The toshiba laptop, I was like to hell with it, let's see what happens. So I did the upgrade. Lo and behold, it went 100% smooth, and I was up and running with Windows 10, updates to all hardware, no conflicts. I have a lot of crap installed (hardware and software), so that was a huge plus. Granted, you want to start being specific how you configure your system for various things, but it's actually pretty easy, and the best part is, it was painless.

2) The windows 7 ultimate system. I still haven't taken the plunge. It's one thing to go from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, another to do it from Windows 7 Ultimate. :/

At any rate, was interesting to note I am actually glad I upgraded to win10 on my main dev system (the toshiba laptop with win8.1 pro).

Who else has done it, from what OS, and on what system, and what do you think?

htw

How come you don't want to upgrade from win 7 ultimate?

I upgraded 3 laptops and 1 desktop on launch day. Was easy to find any missing drivers. Haven't had any troubles with it at all.

I upgraded all of my computers 1 had windows 7 home, worked ok with a bit of tweeking to get the ui to work in eq1.

Other computer had 8.1 fresh install 5 months ago, no issues cept it would NOT see I have 2 monitors hooked up so, I uninstalled it, then next day (today) i reinstalled win10 and wahhhhlaaaa, Saw my other monitor and i'm back to 5 boxing with no lagg =)

YAY!

Any opinions or info would be appreciated. Also, whether you can go backwards if ya change your mind, or if you are just screwed. :)

I upgraded to Win 10, but because my graphics card on the pc I upgraded was no longer supported by the developer and therefore had no Win 10 drivers available, it was causing issues with crossfire and I couldn't use duel monitors and also caused my to lag uncontrollably in game. So, I reinstalled Win 7 just fine with no issues.

Later, I plan to upgrade my graphics cards and reinstall Win 10. I did like the UI, but it took some learning to find everything (no more than when I went from Win 98 to Win XP). I think Win 10 has great potential.

So, yes if you don't like it you can go back to your previous version of Windows.

As for paying for it after a few years - I am not 100% certain this is accurate. I believe important updates will certainly be free. But, I can say that they have decided to use an app-like system, and will definitely have purchasable apps as "upgrades". I see this being a major route they intend to take... "Get more out of Windows 10, buy this over-priced app that adds additional functionality!"

The entire idea behind it is to spend no more resources keeping previous windows editions up to date. Focusing solely on a single OS, which will cost them a lot less in the future. It's smart on their part, IMO.

did the whole windows 10 thing upgrade went seemless, seems like a good OP only thing i had to do was download audio driver, when i switched to 10 it broke my mic downloading new driver fixed her right up!

Well, I did end up going ahead and upgrading the win 8.1 pro laptop. I have to say, was the smoothest upgrade ever in my experience, I was impressed.

The only thing it didn't do was install any config for my switchable graphics, and was a day or two before I realized I didn't have those. A quick trip to amd's site and used the autodetection utility, and all seems well (the Intel HD manager was installed by the upgrade, OTOH).

Have had to tweak a few things, for privacy, performance, but that's nothing unusual (except disabling sharing updates/upgrades other than my LAN, and making it so they don't collect all my pr0n browsing history!)

I don't think I will do the Win 7 Ultimate any time soon. System is working fine, and I paid too much for it, so not going to. :)

To see how well it would do with an older system, I had a HP Pavilion entertainment laptop, about 5 1/2 years old, that came with Windows 7 Home Premium. I powered it up (has been many months!), and did the upgrade on that one, and it went well also. Actually performs better on that older hardware than the Win 7 did.
Of course several of the utilities by HP didn't work any longer and have no updates (no surprise there), but meh, whateva.

So far so good on the Toshiba though, I'm really liking it. Even though it's touch screen, I am not missing the metro home, never used it much anyway (and tablet mode is always available in 10).

htw

I upgraded four computers to Windows 10. Three ended up being the Windows 10 Pro version, one the Windows 10 Home version. I did a clean install (dumped and reinstalled my old apps). Very smooth installation on three of the computers. On my older desktop I had to do some updates before it would take.

The computers run better now on the new OS, but I suspect some of that was just being old and doing a clean install. I've got to admit, I like the operating system so far. EQ runs well on the two computers I run EQ on. I've loaded up to four accounts without any problems. I haven't tried six yet.

So far this has been the easiest, smoothest OS upgrade I've ever done. Hated Windows 8. Liked Windows 7. I had Windows 7 on two computers and Windows 8 on two computers. Wish I'd never upgraded to 8. But so far no real regrets about moving to 10.

An interesting note: Apparently you can't disable Windows Firewall without it jacking shit up.

Since I use an AV package that includes interactive firewall, for years I've done that... I usually disable Windows Firewall service, because I just don't really need it IMO.

Did that on Win 10, and suddenly any built-in app (calculator, edge, etc.) would not run - hell, even store wouldn't run. All just gave weirdo errors.

So I tried doing a re-registration on the packages in an elevated powershell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

And saw them ALL fail with code that indicated can't do it, because windows firewall isn't running. LOL.

So I enabled it, and all back to normal.

Still... weird, IMO.

htw

An interesting note: Apparently you can't disable Windows Firewall without it jacking shit up.

Since I use an AV package that includes interactive firewall, for years I've done that... I usually disable Windows Firewall service, because I just don't really need it IMO.

Did that on Win 10, and suddenly any built-in app (calculator, edge, etc.) would not run - hell, even store wouldn't run. All just gave weirdo errors.

So I tried doing a re-registration on the packages in an elevated powershell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

And saw them ALL fail with code that indicated can't do it, because windows firewall isn't running. LOL.

So I enabled it, and all back to normal.

Still... weird, IMO.

htw

English plox.

Does this mean you have to adjust your Norton firewall with Windows also running? Is there no action center to allow TPA to fill "firewall" role?

Well that's the thing - action center, etc., doesn't bitch. Shows as fine. It just breaks the built-in metro type app stuff, including store. Hell, even simple new apps like calc, won't work any longer.

Best ya can do, far as I have found anyway, is to set the firewall policy to just allow any protocol/port/etc. in/out, and then use your preferred fw software.

htw

Has anyone else noticed the game runs faster? This is having odd effects. I have casters in my box crew and they are going OOM like never before. They just chain cast like mad and much faster than before.

Well that's the thing - action center, etc., doesn't bitch. Shows as fine. It just breaks the built-in metro type app stuff, including store. Hell, even simple new apps like calc, won't work any longer.

Best ya can do, far as I have found anyway, is to set the firewall policy to just allow any protocol/port/etc. in/out, and then use your preferred fw software.

htw

Strange as I've got windows firewall turned off and have had no issues. I've used the store, edge and calc.

I don't use any firewall at all, I just use my routers NAT.

I should have said "me". Sorry if that wasn't clear enough. Just google it there are plenty of references to the issue. Yours is fine. Cool. :)

Here is a quick one as an example: How To Fix Windows Store App Update Error Code 0x80073D0A? – Walker News

It does explain, at least in my mind, why my norton 360 disabled windows firewall service on win7 but not on win 8.1 or 10. And yes, same version of 360 on each.

I was adding just the info as an interesting point to the discussion.

Htw

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed the game runs faster? This is having odd effects. I have casters in my box crew and they are going OOM like never before. They just chain cast like mad and much faster than before.

Ya, i'm having the same problem. It's random though. Sometimes it's fast, othertimes when i log on it's normal speed.

I should have said "me". Sorry if that wasn't clear enough. Just google it there are plenty of references to the issue. Yours is fine. Cool. :)

Here is a quick one as an example: How To Fix Windows Store App Update Error Code 0x80073D0A? – Walker News

It does explain, at least in my mind, why my norton 360 disabled windows firewall service on win7 but not on win 8.1 or 10. And yes, same version of 360 on each.

I was adding just the info as an interesting point to the discussion.

Htw

I'm using the basic home edition what ever it's called, are you using pro or higher edition? maybe thats why you have the problem and I don't?