WTB lawyer for class action suit

MissTerious

Lifetime member
Reaction score
I can't believe we don't have any lawyers here! You, me, team up in a class action against SOE for violation of promissory estopel. The two of us will get rich and everyone else who bought station cash will get $20. :cool: PM me and let's get rolling!

So I'm guessing you mean people stocking up on station cash to buy expansion, then they decide not to allow you to purchase expansion with it?

Do we have quotes somewhere that they will allow you to buy next expansions with it?

You could also go after subscription time with station cash I guess, but think as long as they gave ample notice about change the best you could do is get a refund for station cash you had in your account at time of change.

I doubt this is worth anyone's time, you'd be lucky to get a few hundred dollars in damages.

This something to do with the recently announced F2P changes?

No they used to allow you to purchase expansion and sub with station cash. Infact you could load up on triple station cash and you got a discount on a year or 2 years of EQ. After doing all of this you would only pay like 4$ a month per account. They removed the options.

There is no case here it would be thrown out you have nothing to show you that they guaranteed you would be able to buy the expansions or subscribe to the game using station cash. The only case would if they promoted an expansion and said it was purchasable with station cash that would be bait n switch, but they didn't do that.

No they used to allow you to purchase expansion and sub with station cash. Infact you could load up on triple station cash and you got a discount on a year or 2 years of EQ. After doing all of this you would only pay like 4$ a month per account. They removed the options.

There is no case here it would be thrown out you have nothing to show you that they guaranteed you would be able to buy the expansions or subscribe to the game using station cash. The only case would if they promoted an expansion and said it was purchasable with station cash that would be bait n switch, but they didn't do that.

I know about the expansion thing. That was ages ago, which is why I asked about F2P

I know about the expansion thing. That was ages ago, which is why I asked about F2P

Could be about people who paid to unlock races and classes not getting a refund now that all are unlocked.

Still don't have a case. Here's a good analogy. You buy a game for $59.99 at walmart come back 2 years later its $5 should you get a refund of your $54.99 ?

The fact is company's have the right to determine pricing of products as much as they want. How many of us have bought a game and a week later it goes on sale for half off ? Or how about we bought a game and the next week steam has a sale for that very game for a fraction of the cost ?

Last edited:
You probably don't want to know how many lawyers would attempt that lawsuit lol! So many of them have nothing to do so they will take anything they might make a buck off of.

You probably don't want to know how many lawyers would attempt that lawsuit lol! So many of them have nothing to do so they will take anything they might make a buck off of.

I doubt any would attempt it unless you were paying them. Lawyers don't work for free and they don't take cases they're likely to lose unless you're paying them upfront.

Do like that woman they made the movie about who went to law school and became a lawyer so she could get her brother out of prison. Become a lawyer so you can sue Sony on your own and pocket 100% of the damage money!

GET RICH QUICK! (Er, or in 3-4 years depending how long it takes you to finish law school and then pass the bar exam.)

No need to thank me for this good advice... happy to help!

Do like that woman they made the movie about who went to law school and became a lawyer so she could get her brother out of prison. Become a lawyer so you can sue Sony on your own and pocket 100% of the damage money!

GET RICH QUICK! (Er, or in 3-4 years depending how long it takes you to finish law school and then pass the bar exam.)

No need to thank me for this good advice... happy to help!

think the lawsuit will pay the college and law school tuition's ?

We have it in their ads and forums where they said we could buy FUTURE expansions with Station Cash. This was after we had already purchased Veil of Alaris. The monetary damages would be a few hundred in my case but because society doesn't appreciate liars, we can conceivably collect millions in punitive awards.

My main concern would be if SOE has taken down all the forums and ads. OTOH, they were seen by thousands of people so it would be stupid of them to deny saying that.

Do we have quotes somewhere that they will allow you to buy next expansions with it?

I doubt this is worth anyone's time, you'd be lucky to get a few hundred dollars in damages.

We have it in their ads and forums where they said we could buy FUTURE expansions with Station Cash. This was after we had already purchased Veil of Alaris. The monetary damages would be a few hundred in my case but because society doesn't appreciate liars, we can conceivably collect millions in punitive awards.

My main concern would be if SOE has taken down all the forums and ads. OTOH, they were seen by thousands of people so it would be stupid of them to deny saying that.

Seriously I don't remember seeing such ads and OFFICIAL forum posts. Anyone here take a screenshot or print out a hard copy? I bought a lot of extra SC originally in anticipation of doing this but I just did that based on the inference derived from the fact xpacs could be bought with SC at that time. Even if Sony said that at the time unless their hype "guaranteed" that this would never change (and I doubt it) obviously they can change their policies whenever they like, especially if they give some notice and I do believe they did that at least for buying subscription time with SC. That much I do remember.

I would say if this can be documented anyone who bought SC in advance of the change relying on assurances that the SC could be used to purchase future xpacs, could claim to have been "damaged" and should be entitled to a refund of funds invested with such expectation. Sony could have covered their asses by allowing requests for refunds for say 30 days after the change in policy. Obviously they didn't want the extra work and the loss of income such would have generated.

Class action lawsuits have been successfully filed for lesser "infractions." Just need to locate the proof and find a willing lawyer. If they did make such statements in their website hype, simple "discovery" would obtain it, since surely Sony keeps backups of their website and I doubt Sony execs would willingly perjure themselves and deny something which had to have been seen by many thousands of people.

So time to find a lawyer or go to law school! :rolleyes:

You also remember reading the EULA that says they have the right to change things as they need.

The station cash for expansions probably would have stayed, IF people stopped building up 30k SC for 90$.

The law would never side with you because the financial impact it would have on the company.

Stop crying, if you spent so much on unlock able content. Go shoot yourself for being that stupid to blow your money when you needed it for other things.

Any money you spend on EQ is money you are throwing away same as if you went to the bar. only you get better time return on this past time. Take your depends off and act like an adult for awhile.

Last edited:

Seriously I don't remember seeing such ads and OFFICIAL forum posts. Anyone here take a screenshot or print out a hard copy? I bought a lot of extra SC originally in anticipation of doing this but I just did that based on the inference derived from the fact xpacs could be bought with SC at that time. Even if Sony said that at the time unless their hype "guaranteed" that this would never change (and I doubt it) obviously they can change their policies whenever they like, especially if they give some notice and I do believe they did that at least for buying subscription time with SC. That much I do remember.

I would say if this can be documented anyone who bought SC in advance of the change relying on assurances that the SC could be used to purchase future xpacs, could claim to have been "damaged" and should be entitled to a refund of funds invested with such expectation. Sony could have covered their asses by allowing requests for refunds for say 30 days after the change in policy. Obviously they didn't want the extra work and the loss of income such would have generated.

Class action lawsuits have been successfully filed for lesser "infractions." Just need to locate the proof and find a willing lawyer. If they did make such statements in their website hype, simple "discovery" would obtain it, since surely Sony keeps backups of their website and I doubt Sony execs would willingly perjure themselves and deny something which had to have been seen by many thousands of people.

So time to find a lawyer or go to law school! :rolleyes:

They did have an official post, it was linked here before.

This still goes back to. They are a business. Bad promotions get scrapped all the time.

They never said for the remaining life of the game could you purchase Expansions with SC, in fact since the game can be canceled at ANY TIME WITHOUT notification. It seems stupid to load up SC for the next 2-3 years.

Because people tried to abuse the system they changed it.

You're right that they can change the terms whenever they like as long as they never promised not to. But this hardly constitutes "abusing the system" by players. Hell, Sony made the policies concerning Staion Cash, they allowed Walmart to offer cards with the bonus and then Sony itself offered the double and triple SC deals. There are a lot of clever people playing EQ and if there's a percentage to be had some people are going to figure out and this doesn't mean they're "abusing the system." Exploiting an unintended consequence of game design is "abuse", not being as efficient as possible with spending one's game-related "assets."

It's like the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. A famous Supreme Court justice said it's every taxpayer's right and duty to AVOID taxes. You get sent to jail for EVADING taxes. :eek:

They never said for the remaining life of the game could you purchase Expansions with SC, in fact since the game can be canceled at ANY TIME WITHOUT notification. It seems stupid to load up SC for the next 2-3 years.

Because people tried to abuse the system they changed it.

I usually load about 1-2 Walmart cards each 3x weekend, and I do somewhat agree with you its stupid to load up alot, but at the same time, if the game does expire, there are other SOE games you can use the SC on, assuming you play or want to play any of the others. So its not a complete loss in a sense.

What I find funny is people actually paying for the marketplace pixels when there is no promotion running. But, who am I to judge how people spend/waste their money if they have the means too. /shrug